How big is your wardrobe ?

I'm always buying/selling so I'm never really too overloaded with clothes but I can't wait to consign some of my fall stuff that I've fallen out of love with because my coat closet is tight fitting now and I don't like that....I like to see space between my clothes!! Like Lady Sarah says, everything in her closet get used and if it doesn't, out it goes! It's the best way to be on top of things in the wardrobe department!! :smile:

my wardrobe is not that big cause i still building my closet but........ 80% of my wardrobes are not daily dresses and there's not much event so that i couldn't often wear my dresses. im also still a univ student, so my daily clothes will be long skirt and shirt or jeans n shirt, sooooooooo my dresses are still brand new (dresses from 3 years ago are still new!). don't know when i will be wearing those dresses

Around 250 pieces, not including under clothes, socks and lounge wear but including shoes and bags. However I live in a climate with all 4 seasons so I need to dress according to the seasons. I'm quite happy with the current size of my wardrobe.

I love counting my clothes for some reason lol and have for about 1.5 yrs been trying to get the numbers down - just moved to a new house and again am in purge mode - I also have 4 seasons and find coats/shoes to be the hardest to scale back but I have purged duplicates, etc. - am at about 160 and would love to get to 100 but not sure that will happen - it's a good exercise though in really seeing that I don't need nor wear all the things I have - next round of consignment things ready to go! I've always sold bags to fund new bags so am used to this but at the same time and tired of it lol...

A quick survey of my closet shows...

-2 winter jackets - 1 wool coat and 1 puffer jacket
-Jackets: 1 trenchcoat, 5 leather jackets, and 4 other jackets/blazers
-6 sweaters: 3 cardigans, 3 long sleeve sweaters
-15 dressy tops and 3 button downs
-Some basic tops, maybe like 10 T-shirts, 5 camisoles, and 3 long-sleeve
-7 dresses
-5 pairs of shorts
-1 suit (includes a black blazer and matching black trousers)
-18 skirts: 4 for going out, 8 everyday ones and then 6 seasonal skirts
-5 pairs of jeans/pants
-2 pairs of leggings
-A bunch of tights
-12 handbags: 6 everyday bags, 2 totes, 2 crossbody bags, and 2 evening bags
-21 pairs of shoes (this includes winter boots, rainboots, and sneakers for the gym)
-A bunch of scarves...maybe like 10?
-2 winter hat/glove sets... one in grey, other in black
-2 bikinis
-12 belts
-Box of jewelry
-One pair of sunglasses

It looks like a lot typed out but it actually fits into my small NYC apartment closet very well and I wear everything regularly. I used to have even more than this but I kept forgetting what was in my closet, so now I donate a lot of my stuff I'm not using.

I have lots-don't want to count, but I am constantly purging and donating things that I know I won't wear. It's hard because I find so many things at designer warehouse sales so when I find such great bargains, it allows me to buy a few more things and I don't feel guilty about only wearing it a few times or passing it on to a friend. But my rule is never to buy because it is a good price, but only to buy if I would pay full price for it....that helps me make decisions. And one in, one out....or rather five in, five out....

I don't know how any woman can have a minimal wardrobe. My weight will fluctuate 10 lbs easily within a few months unfortunately so I have a few sizes in my closet.:nuts:

I too could never have a minimalist closet. I love thinking about the process to make things, like how a pattern is cut and put together, or what types of materials go into making a patent leather...nerdy things like that. I do donate things from time to time but I've tried really hard to only buy what I love and know I will wear, so I have a pretty large closet that is full. I call it my cave of wonders [emoji13].

I have about 30 pairs of jeans, 75 pairs of shoes, and a lot of dresses since that is a type of clothing I really like to wear. I think the other categories I have an average amount of clothing.

I think it's good to inventory like this because then you can see what you already have a lot of/not much of and decide if you should refocus your shopping habits. I would always buy jeans until I realize I had plenty and should wait until I found another good cardigan, for example, because I only had 4 cardigans that I would wear and I needed a black one- so basic but I didn't have it.

Counting was oddly fun. I’m interested to see how my numbers will change over time.

Not including underwear, bases, pajamas, tights, etc.

63 dresses
11 shirts
9 skirts
6 coats
4 sweaters
4 blazers
3 jeans
3 shrugs
2 black ponte pants
2 jackets
2 cardigans
1 leather jacket
1 hoodie

Except for a few of the skirts, everything else gets regular use, including cocktail/special occasion dresses. I had a larger wardrobe until I realized quality over quanity, and that if I didn't feel good and wear the item - not just save it for an imaginary point in the future - it wasn't worth keeping. I'm also now less stressed about outfit choices and better dressed, too :biggrin:

Last edited:
My personal preference is for a small (-ish) wardrobe. Having said that I don't count how many pieces I own, but make sure they (a) fit in my closet and more importantly (b) I use EVERYTHING. For me that is the main criteria about keeping something, if it gets used and I love it, is not superfluous and it stays. If it doesn't get used then it goes...

This. I hate owning things I don't use, whether that be clothes or anything else. Having moved around a lot in the last few years, I realized that I owned far too many clothes that I don't use and that I tend to rotate the same 2-3 pieces in every category I own, so I've cut down a lot and there's more to go, and I don't regret it at all - on the contrary. I still love purses and shoes, so I'm really comfortable with not having too much clothes but instead mix up the accessories.