How are your Swift Bags aging?

If you are looking for an indestructible leather a smooth leather like swift will never do. Think of swift as a modern, softer take on box, and like box, it will scratch and develop a patina. If you don't want your bag to develop a lived in look, then a textured leather is really your only choice. Togo, Clemence, Fjord, Epsom and Evergrain come to mind. Any smooth leather will scratch. I personally think a smooth leather with a patina is the ultimate in luxury. More personal and less "just out of the box".

Pics for you, RC:

Evergrain:

dkchoc1.jpg

2007-1.jpg

Swift:

2006-15.jpg

paris-5.jpg

Gina_B, I can't see your Birkins...would you mind relinking? I've never seen evergrain and would love to see it. Thanks!! :flowers:

I have an agenda in swift, which is obviously nothing compared to a Birkin, but I love the smoothness and haven't had any issues with scratches and a few tiny ones have rubbed out. :yes:

I was considering a Kelly (retourne) in Swift because I loved the leather so much...Now I have to think on it some more. :graucho:

I've been dragging around my orange swift kelly everywhere and really haven't had problems with it. I even brought it on the plane and forgot protection. There are tiny scratches but nothing noticeable. I am a really clumsy and klutzy girl! The corners are wearing really well and the leather is getting softer and broken in. I really love the swift on the kelly.

I've been dragging around my orange swift kelly everywhere and really haven't had problems with it. I even brought it on the plane and forgot protection. There are tiny scratches but nothing noticeable. I am a really clumsy and klutzy girl! The corners are wearing really well and the leather is getting softer and broken in. I really love the swift on the kelly.

i did the same, took my bj swift birkin on plane, and i actually loved how it got broken in. it's a soft leather, but i really like it. i would probably get another a swift. in fact i saw a 35cm rose dragee kelly retourne and almost bought it b/c i loved how slouchy it was. but the color made me say no, that's another story though.

I just PO my birkin In 30 RD and I can't wait! I hear it will be soft and the size will keep the shape better .Here is hoping .
Does any one Know if it will darken allot? So much so that the color will change?

I LOVE LOVE swift and gulliver. I have 3 kellys in swift gulliver and 4 or 5 birkins in swift. My kellys are 32-35cm while the birkins are all 30cm. I also have a kelly danse in swift and a bunch of small items in the same leather.

I like the leather because I like the smooth feel of it and the way it slouches ever so slightly. (I have togo birkin 30cm that slouched even worse than my swift - from use).

I do not have evergrain so I can't make a comparison. However, I know that my swift gets shinier with age and use. My older gulliver bag is about 10 years old. Has been cleaned. Sure, the corners still have wear but the scratches barely show, kind of like box. I know that a lot of H clients are not really enamored of swift. I remember my SA told me that as far as they know I'm one of the few clients in their store who likes this leather so when something interesting in this leather comes in, I'm usually the one that gets called first. Heh!

Here are pics of my 2 oldest kellys - the rouge vif is about 10 yrs old and the gold is about 4-5 years old. When not in use, I store my gulliver/swift bags with stuffing.

Attachments

• gold kelly twilly.JPG
    gold kelly twilly.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 441
  • rouge vif kelly twilly.JPG
    rouge vif kelly twilly.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 439
Reactions: Emberi and keodi
all about bags, thanks for posting pix of your lovely purses! (Especially like the way you've wrapped the handles!) I really like how they're wearing. I just got my 35 cm Birkin in ardoise swift and the comments about its fragility had me kind of worried. I've only been able to take it out twice because the weather has been snowy... yesterday on a very crowded subway car and honestly, I was terrified it would get scratched. It was ok, but I'm not sure I was! Part of me wants it to get that first scratch so t will be over and done with and I can forget about it ... and a bigger part of me wants it pristine (which is unrealistic, I know...!)

I just got my 35 cm Birkin in ardoise swift and the comments about its fragility had me kind of worried.
Me too. I got a 30cm birkin in ardoise swift last month, and reading this thread makes me a bit concerned. I have taken mine out only a few times, and i must confess that i went "argggghhh. holy s#%$!!!" when i saw the front flap has a scratch after I took the bag out on first day. however, the scratch rubbed out, and I see a faint shadow of the scratch only if i tried to see it under certain lighting angle.

I'm not too fussed if the scratches can be rubbed out like this, because i know that the bag will no longer be pristine anyhow as i use it more often. The more important consideration for me is weight. When the bag is empty, it is very light to hold. but after i put my wallet, keys, cell phone, make up case, a cardigan, the raincoat and a few minor items (can't put too many things in a 30cm), I felt the bag already weighed a ton. Especially since the birkin handles do not allow you to put the bag over the shoulders (unlike the JPG).

The swift is light, the leather feels awesome to the touch, and i love my bags to look slightly relaxed, so I am liking the swift so far.

I'm a recent convert to Swift leather and now have two bags.....Havane Swift Birkin and Etoupe Swift Web. I LOVE it!!!!!! I think CASTORNY hits the nail right on the head.....I'd only like to add that you can use it in all types of weather without worry (well, not a blizzard or a tornado...) I just got caught in a mild rain shower with no problems! Just a gentle swipe with a cloth (I keep a handkerchief in the pocket of each bag) and it was good as new!

I adore the gentle slouch that develops, the way it begins to break in AND all the little scruffs and dings that is bound to happen with ANY non-textured leather. I wouldn't hesitate to get another bag in Swift....for sure!

Reactions: lovejoysunshine
This thread is great, and thank you All about bags for your photos. I have an orange swift birkin (30) and am loving it, but often worry about carrying it because my other 2 birkins are textured leather and so seem more durable. Actually, the color is a factor too. I baby my new gold clemence birkin more than my 3 year old black clemence one. and the orange makes me worry about stains and darkening, too. So I'd be very interested to hear how lighter colors hold up in these bags over time. In Swift's favor, I will say it's beautiful, feels great, and is SO LIGHT compared to Clemence (some of this may be due to 30 vs. 35,) but it's so easy to carry!!!!

i love my swift 35 birkin. although it's a soft leather, it's very tough and handles liquid very well.

it's very slouchy though and for a casual person like me, it's ideal! i cant wait to break in my parchemin swift birkin!

Reactions: lovejoysunshine
pazt and S'Mom, thanks for the input re rainy/wet weather. I've been worried about this getting a bit wet in rain or light snow, but this does make me feel better too. Will probably throw the rain kit in there as a just in case thing until I can find a large enough plastic bag to fold up and carry. I bought the large Pliage but that's way too big to carry around (though it will make a good travel cover!)