How animal friendly are our purses?

1. Im sorry if there's another thread about this already..

But yesterday me and my friend were talking about why to not buy fakes because of what it supports and so on..and then she says: You talk about not supporting terrorism etc..but do you know in what conditions the animals live in the get killed to make your purses?

And..as a matter of fact..I don't..And now i feel really ashamed.

So maybe some1 would like to explain?

I feel like the worst noobie ever :shame:

2. I don't know either so don't feel bad, but I almost don't want to know. I do have to say that those animals are strictly bread to be used for leather just like some are used for food.

3. I posted this in the LV forum but then I thought I'd post it here too since im intrested to know what people know about all brands.

Im sorry if there's another thread about this already..

But yesterday me and my friend were talking about why to not buy fakes because of what it supports and so on..and then she says: You talk about not supporting terrorism etc..but do you know in what conditions the animals live in the get killed to make your purses?

And..as a matter of fact..I don't..And now i feel really ashamed.

So maybe some1 would like to explain?

I feel like the worst noobie ever :shame:

4. There is nothing u should be ashamed for. Next time when you see your friend, ask her if she know what conditions the animals live in the get killed to make her daily foods.

5. There are a TON of threads about handbags and animals in the general thread, do a search about this topic, as it pertains to ALL brands, not just LV.

6. It depends on the brand and the leather. I know f.ex. some of the farms that supply for LV and thay all treat their cattle nicely.

7. Have you ever been to a slaughter house? (!?!) . . . Believe me, it's not pretty!!! . . .enough to turn you off of eating meat AND ever using leather!!!
    It's kinda' cazy, but most of us prefer not to think about it. (?!?)

8. ^ True. There are few exceptions (like LV as Liberte mentioned), but most farms really mistreat their animals. I wish it were easier to trace where certain companies buy and source their materials.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now. I'm a vegetarian, but I still wear leather and buy leather bags... :s I feel like a walking paradox.

9. sorry, I had to merge your 2 threads, we don't allow duplicates.

10. Oh, that's nice to know. Although, is there anywhere I can read about it, and exactly how do you know? I should do some more researching..but seriously, I don't know what to search for.

And I did search for threads about this before posting, tyvm. And I still can't seem to find them so since there are a TON of them it would be really sweet if you could tell me what to search for or maybe paste them in here :tup:

Yah well sometimes I guess you have to think about what you wear and what you love and how it effects other living creatures. It sucks.

11. There really is no way around the fact that animals are slaughtered, both for our food and for leather goods. Unless a person goes entirely vegan both in diet and lifestyle, there is very little argument to be made that one user of meat or leather is more ethical than another. I do applaud those who go organic for food/meat, but the end result of an animal dying is the same.

12. Heh, sorry to be blunt but in regards to your question, my answer is:
    Our bags are animals. That in itself is not friendly.

Snarky, and not really related in regard to animal -> bag friendliness factor but kind of is related by way of human relationship to animal by-products: Nearly all my bags are leather, and I love steak, particularly filet mignon. Sometimes I like to chow down on a tri-tip sandwich. Call me Miss Barbarica, but hey, a girls got to eat!

13. And by the way, your friend is nuts. Who in the world equates eating meat and wearing a cute leather bag with terrorism?

Thats baloney.

I'd tell her to keep her opinions to herself unless they begin to make sense

=)

14. lol @ gung. Well she said: You talk about poor conditions for childworkers, terrorism etc but i'm not gonna go there because we have no idea what we support IRL everyday with other stuff we buy etc, so why would you? And did you think about the poor animals that get killed to make your purses? And how they treat them? etc, etc..

15. lol...this may not be a nice thing to say....but I love handbags that are in exotic leather and I love mink fur coats...unfortunetly i'm not really concerned about the animals...sorry just me personally