How and when did your CL obsession start?

I've always loved all things luxury, but didn't have the opportunity to own any. It feels like I've known about Louis Vuitton since birth (or maybe since the day my equally 10 year old cousin got the white multi colored speedy, but even then I knew it was Louis Vuitton, so like I said...I came out the womb knowing Louis, maybe my mother's placenta was LV LV LV LV. :sneaky:). But, I really can't pinpoint down to a day that the obsession with Christian Louboutin started. I know the year I started noticing was 2001. I remember stalking celebs on people.com, etc. and noticing the red soles or watching award shows and just DYING over the dresses (back then it was designer dresses for homecoming, xmas dance, prom, etc that I splurged on) and of course after that they would show their shoes. After that I made it a point to know who they were designed by and why they were red. I really think it was the red sole that got me hooked first. Wasn't really a specific style. Although, my first favorite style was Rolando and VP. The red just made me weak at the knees. Since then, I've talked about not much else. I would buy steve maddens and know what style they were replicating. The first time (in 07) my DBF (at the time) took me to NYC for New Years, he planned a WINDOW shopping trip. I found the shoe floor at Saks and DIED, literally died. I was in tears touching all the beautiful CLs. He (like someone else on here) had to physically remove me. I talked about it so much when he took me back he made up that they were doing renovations and the floor was closed. :nono: I think he was scared I was going to make him buy me a pair...:amuse:. I really never thought they were within my reach so I never ventured to the CL boutique. This past Christmas ('10), my mom told me she got me one present only and that it was a good one. I never thought in a million years she would spend 700 on a pair of CLs. But, she went on here and researched it herself (she knew about this site because I've been a member since NYC :giggles: and would talk about little else than all the shoes you lovely ladies own) found my size and ordered from neimans. They were a perfect fit! So, where did it all start? Let's go with the womb again. Seems like a good enough answer to me! :cool:

It started out for me so innocently - i just wanted a basic pair of black or nude patent for work. So 1) found my first pair in May, 2) found the sub forum for authentication of said pair, 3) saw numerous styles here that I had to have, 4) then sale season came and, 5) fall styles came out, 6) now own 23 pairs. :shocked:
Not so innocent now is it! :angel:

What a great thread!

I actually have proof of the start of my addiction - October, 2005. I was visiting a friend in Atlanta and we went shopping (shocker!) We went to Lenox Mall and Neiman Marcus and I saw the Bruges in black nappa and the high wood stacked heel. As happens with so many ladies here, I didn't realize how badly I wanted that shoe until it was gone.

I finally found a pair at Horatio, but in a saddle color. I got them, wore them, loved them - but the color was always an issue. They were gone in a few months via EBay. For my second pair, I would not settle and ended up with a SO from JJR in Paris for the classic round toe Clichy 140mm.

Almost 7 years into the obsession, I confess to only 12 in my CL family. I am in awe of so many of you ladies here on TPF who seem to bring a new pair home every week. I can't touch that pace, but I love and enjoy every pair I have.

Last edited:
About 4 years ago I saw a photo of what I believe were Pigalle 120s and began to drool. :drool:
I did some research and when my, then husband, saw the price he laughed at me and told me no and called me crazy. Well we split (not because of Loubis LOL) and once I began dating my new BF; he understood my need for diamonds and shoes! One of his first gifts to me, were my kid Pigalle 100s ordered from MyTheresa. Since then he (and I) have been on a shoe buying spree!

Oddly enough, it started in Marshall's. There was a quirky little BCBGirls black patent leather bootie with a gold zipper that I loved but figured that my husband would hate. So I left it there. It was marked down to $20 , but I still left it there. I think I knew something more was out there...lol!!

Months went by but I still found myself thinking of this shoe. So I took to the Internet to see if perhaps I could track it down. In searching all these odd design combos (loafer pump, black patent gold zip, etc.), I came across the Louboutin Lapono. And it was exactly the shoe I was trying to find! Eventually I found a pair of (super tight) 38.5's on e-*ay, and an addiction was born. Took a long jump from a "trickle-down, inspired-by" shoe in Marshall's!!