Housetraining....... HELP!!

A very good point by posters above - many dogs feel safe in their crate and it's important that they have this safe place, whether it's a crate or a bed or something similar.

Sam still goes into his crate when we are leaving the house. We don't close the door anymore though. He's been free to roam the house when we are gone since he was around a year old. The poor guy is terrified of thunderstorms and "hides" in his crate if a storm comes up and we aren't here. Poor baby! :sad:

Sam still goes into his crate when we are leaving the house. We don't close the door anymore though. He's been free to roam the house when we are gone since he was around a year old. The poor guy is terrified of thunderstorms and "hides" in his crate if a storm comes up and we aren't here. Poor baby! :sad:

Aww! Poor little guy. That is one of the main reasons I want Chloe in the house. Besides the cool winters I dont want her to be afraid if we get rain and thunderstorms:shame:
By the way you pooch is absolutely adorable!!

I think crate training depends on the personality of the dog. My female hated the crate. The male loves his crate. Both were housetrained by maintaining a proper schedule (I agree with what a lot of people said) When they were young, they needed to go out quite often. But now, I take them out 3 times a day (sometimes 4 depending on the exercise and heat - how much water they drink). Both my dogs are grazers and I let them drink throughout the day. Pretty soon, your dogs will know the schedule better than you. And in the beginning, I used to praise them like crazy when they went outside like they were supposed to. Like Prada said, they want to please you and they'll figure it out quickly. Good luck!!!

Prada, I agree. I can't believe there was a time where rubbing their noise in it was the proper training method. Though at times I can positively swear that my dogs "temper-poops".

Tough call. Swimming can certainly be inconvenient. (My last trip to my uncle's one of the dogs went in the pond after lunch.) But if she really likes it? Maybe let her do it occasionally as something special. I have a hard time denying the dogs when it's something that does no harm, but having her dive in the pool (or pond) when you're on your way out the door may not be the best thing for you. If you can control when she does it, she still gets to have fun and you don't have to worry about bad timing.

ranskimmie your little dog is ADORABLE!!!

I am seriously craving a puppy that won't grow into a monster (LOL) like
this one....

Attachments

• monster.jpg
    monster.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 29
  • moose.jpg
    moose.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 28
My first Rott used to open the screen door and jump in the pool on her own during hot summer days!! :yes:

I used to think it was cute-- now it drives me crazy:roflmfao:

And yes, she actually opens the door to let herself out to potty if I don't move fast enough. Never ever once closed it behind herself tho.

:upsidedown:

Tough call. Swimming can certainly be inconvenient. (My last trip to my uncle's one of the dogs went in the pond after lunch.) But if she really likes it? Maybe let her do it occasionally as something special. I have a hard time denying the dogs when it's something that does no harm, but having her dive in the pool (or pond) when you're on your way out the door may not be the best thing for you. If you can control when she does it, she still gets to have fun and you don't have to worry about bad timing.

Thanks girls! You dont think being 8 months old and full size is too old to kennel train. By the way she is a Shih Tzu, and a stubborn one at that. I just adore her though.

Oh ... I know what you mean. I love Shih Tzus, they have such a personality. :heart:

If you don't want to put her in a cage, put her in a small area with easy to clean surface like a tiled or concrete area. Puppies know from the day they are born that their doggy mom doesn't like them to do their business where they sleep and eat (hence the saying? ;) ). So put her in a small area where her food and drink are, give her toys so she can play with them and move around a little but not too much. Then set up a feeding schedule, and let her out to do her business 15-20 minutes after she eats. They don't have much room in their little tummies so they've gotta go after they eat. Stick to that routine for a few weeks, you will see a difference.

Oh, another thing, if you catch them having an accident, raise your voice and say No loudly. Pound on the floor and furniture to make some noise. And then take them out immediately. But if you don't catch them 'in the act', don't do anything - they forget what they did and you will only scare them. Praise them when they go outside - raise your voice and exaggerate your praise, and rub their head so they know you approve of what they just did.

Good luck ... I wish I could get another puppy.

Thank you :flowers: I don't have kids these are my girls, I spoil them (sleep on the bed, eat only macrobial whole foods, etc). :shame:

My Weim is retired (11yr old) show girl and my Rott is a competition OB queen, which means more training for ME than for her!!

I could sooo love a puppy that could ride in one of the cute designer carriers tho!! :roflmfao: DH would POP!!

I :heart: them!! They are so darned cute!!:love:

The dog I picked up this weekend is (somewhat) crate trained. She has not yet had any accidents in the crate, and only had one accident in the house (I had a friend over, I think she was frightened). When I picked her up, I was told that last food is given at 6pm, water is taken away at 8pm, and last out time is 10pm. By then the dog should be able to void itself and should not have any problems over night (puppies, she said, should be taken out once at about 2am). My dog is 9 months, and has had no overnight problems.

Good luck ranskimmie! My baby is a shih-tzu/peke mix and I adopted her when she was 2. Potty training was pretty difficult. Not only is she stubborn, she has little neurotic routines that hindered training. I tried the crate for a month, but the crying and howling only worsened. I wouldn't reward the crying or howling but she would still cry. So here's what I had to do: I never left her have roam of the house. Even if she just pottied she would do little separation anxiety potties in the house. I don't put her in a crate but I put her in my tiled laundry room where she has toys and a bed. She has never pottied in the room. At night she sleeps in bed with us and if she jumps out (rarely happens) it's outside we go! After waking (she naps a lot lol), eating, and letting her out of the laundry room I let her out to potty. I make a huge deal out of it when she's "good" and give her a small treat. I'm starting to wean the treats and I reward her with her favorite toy instead. I know shih-tzus can be stubborn and it may take a while but my baby seems to thrive under a strict routine. When I let her roam around the house there were too many accidents.

I hope things are going well with the crate training!

We took in a ten month old Lab cross who had been homeless his entire life until he was rescued, and he is now a "model" house trained dog! We crate trained him, and he caught on quite quickly. We also celebrated his "successful" bathroom trips outside--that helped a lot!

Congratulations on the adorable new puppy!!!! :heart:

Hey There Ranskimmie!

How is your doggie doing with the potty training???

How are you holding up? :graucho:

I have been very bad:sad: Since the weather is still hot here Im still letting her stay outside for her hourly swims. I sware I will get this going very very soon though:yes: Everyone here has been an incredible help!! THANK YOU!! I'll keep you posted.....promise!:heart: