Travel hotels not changing sheets

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
so Inside Edition did a report where they checked into several hotel rooms (9, I think). they brought a black light, dirtied the sheets, checked out and then had someone else check into the same room. they found that 3 of the rooms didn't have the sheets changed. eww! I'm so sick of reports that make me paranoid. As it is, I check for bed bugs almost every time we check into a room.
Now I guess I have to pull the bedding down and look for hairs, etc.
They suggested if you're concerned you could just ask for someone to change the sheets (regardless of whether they look clean, unwrinkled)

did anyone else see this? does it worry you? do you kind of wish they'd let us relax instead of worrying about germs, etc everywhere?

so Inside Edition did a report where they checked into several hotel rooms (9, I think). they brought a black light, dirtied the sheets, checked out and then had someone else check into the same room. they found that 3 of the rooms didn't have the sheets changed. eww! I'm so sick of reports that make me paranoid. As it is, I check for bed bugs almost every time we check into a room.
Now I guess I have to pull the bedding down and look for hairs, etc.
They suggested if you're concerned you could just ask for someone to change the sheets (regardless of whether they look clean, unwrinkled)

did anyone else see this? does it worry you? do you kind of wish they'd let us relax instead of worrying about germs, etc everywhere?

Eeeeew! I did not see that, but it's a gross thought. I always check for bedbugs. That's the New Yorker in me.
I do think though that we can make ourselves crazy worrying about these things. Yes, might be worth a quick check for wrinkles, but I'd say not to worry about it too much.

Reactions: inherforties
I once had skin reaction to hilton bed linens.
Were clean, but whatever laundry products used caused rash.
Never stayed with that chain again.

Our bodies are miracles.
We have microscopic mites, living on our eyelashes.
And bacteria in our guts.
We produce mucous & oil & sweat.
Everything about being human reassures that we are not so tragically vulnerable, when sleeping in less than autoclaved hygiene. Or taking part of this world.

So, whilst I hope for the best, most hotel cleaning practices do not terrify me.
I just ask for more tiny bottles of free shampoo & go on.
Spy cameras, hidden in rooms & broken door locks--would worry me more.;)

Our bodies are miracles.
Everything about being human reassures that we are not so tragically vulnerable, when sleeping in less than autoclaved hygiene. Or taking part of this world.

So, whilst I hope for the best, most hotel cleaning practices do not terrify me.

I have actually had maintainance replace a broken door lock at midnight.
I would have switched rooms but the hotel was full.

I have actually had maintainance replace a broken door lock at midnight.
I would have switched rooms but the hotel was full.
I once stepped out of shower, wrapped in towel--then walked into my room, full of Greek speaking cleaning staff.
Luckily, we all were girls. And shoo-shoo hand gestures + smiles bought me getting dressed time.
As they waited outside in hallway.

Our bodies are miracles.

yes, I do check for bedbugs most of the time when we first check in but I'm not going to obsess over everything. DH has a friend who puts the remote control in a zip lock bag. I can't be bothered with that. Germs and news stories about them can really get into your head. Remember the guy who wrote a book about hotels and said the drinking glasses don't get washed; they just clean them with a rag and whatever is available (not dishwasher, hot, water, etc)? that one bothers me but I still use the glasses.

I saw that report on tv and it makes me sick! Once we found make up and hair on the pillows; changed rooms, but it wouldn't always be so obvious.

I have friends who travel who carry a small black light flashlight just to check for stains.
I buy new slippers for everyone when we travel and pitch them when the trip is over.
I carry Lysol and clean bathroom before I let the family use it.
Keeps down on the germ factor. And I know that the room is cleaned to my satisfaction.

Omg that is bringing up some memories I wish I could forget. It was yearsss ago, I was about twelve years old.
I went to a church retreat with my youth group, I went to remove the top blanket off of the bed, I saw a square foil wrapper, (I thought it was a candy wrapper, I had no idea what it was lol) I read the label and it said "Condom" on it. Ughhhhhhhh [emoji13][emoji13]. I told our chaperone about it and asked if we could be relocated but the other rooms were booked so they had room service come and change our bed sheets. Grossss.

Omg that is bringing up some memories I wish I could forget. It was yearsss ago, I was about twelve years old.
I went to a church retreat with my youth group, I went to remove the top blanket off of the bed, I saw a square foil wrapper, (I thought it was a candy wrapper, I had no idea what it was lol) I read the label and it said "Condom" on it. Ughhhhhhhh [emoji13][emoji13]. I told our chaperone about it and asked if we could be relocated but the other rooms were booked so they had room service come and change our bed sheets. Grossss.

At least it was only the wrapper....