Home Safe to Store Bags/Luxury Items

BB8

Jan 22, 2016
With worsening economics and related increasing crime, particularly robberies/burglaries, I have lately been considering buying a home safe to store my bags (especially when not at home/on vacation). I wonder if this is a good option, or if I do get one, I am thinking I would need to get one large/heavy enough so that thieves can't just take it and run. Does anyone here store theirs in a home safe and if so, any recommendations? (I do have my items insured, but some are just irreplaceable.) Thanks in advance for sharing your experience/thoughts.

We have a safe room with a big built in safe but don’t store bags in it, my bags wouldn’t really fit.
We were robbed almost 2 years ago and keeping insurance updated is the best for us.

Another home I lived in had one built into the wall behind my hanging clothes. I stored jewelry in it.

We have a safe room with a big built in safe but don’t store bags in it, my bags wouldn’t really fit.
We were robbed almost 2 years ago and keeping insurance updated is the best for us.

Another home I lived in had one built into the wall behind my hanging clothes. I stored jewelry in it.
One of my worries. I'm so sorry you went through that terrible experience, and hope no one was harmed. I will definitely have to update my insurance since adding-on more bags since then. Thank you for sharing.

Idk how big the safe would need to be but you'd also need to keep in mind proper temperature and humidity inside if your bags will be there for a while.
Maybe a locked closet would work instead?

And @Swanky I'm so sorry about your robbery.
I've had robberies as well and it's extremely violating and upsetting.
All good tips. I figure I would need to get an oversized safe to fit my bags. I had also thought about the temperature and humidity issues, but assumed I would just have to transfer my bags into the safe whenever we leave the house and/or go on vacation (tedious for sure). Locking the closet would be the most convenient choice, but I feel like robbers would just break the door down.
I'm also sorry that you've been robbed before. We had our car broken into many, many years ago (before smash-and-grabs sadly became a part of "normal" daily vocabulary), and had my luggage with personal effects taken. Though it wasn't my home, I definitely felt violated. We also had another incident where a no-good assailant tried to kick down our front door while we were home, but failed. I'm still traumatized.

• Sad
Reactions: A bottle of Red
All good tips. I figure I would need to get an oversized safe to fit my bags. I had also thought about the temperature and humidity issues, but assumed I would just have to transfer my bags into the safe whenever we leave the house and/or go on vacation (tedious for sure). Locking the closet would be the most convenient choice, but I feel like robbers would just break the door down.
I'm also sorry that you've been robbed before. We had our car broken into many, many years ago (before smash-and-grabs sadly became a part of "normal" daily vocabulary), and had my luggage with personal effects taken. Though it wasn't my home, I definitely felt violated. We also had another incident where a no-good assailant tried to kick down our front door while we were home, but failed. I'm still traumatized.
I'm so sorry it's awful

Reactions: BB8
Idk how big the safe would need to be but you'd also need to keep in mind proper temperature and humidity inside if your bags will be there for a while.
Maybe a locked closet would work instead?

And @Swanky I'm so sorry about your robbery.
I've had robberies as well and it's extremely violating and upsetting.
I also been robbed the robbers take hinges off locked doors