Home & Garden home and garden *chat thread*

I have no idea what happened. Maybe the last cold spell was too much for it. Maybe age.

I've also noticed another flitting in and out of the shed. Could be the partner.

Is it weird to be bothered by this stuff?

I am sorry. And no, its not weird. We all get attached to the wild creatures who become regulars, its sad when they go missing or die.

I'll take "Nature is just TOO freaking weird" for $500, Alex.

Item One: There is a new nest being built directly next to Shed Bird's. Attached, sharing a common wall like a Condo or Townehouse. I can't tell if it's occupied yet or not. I see a shape flying off before I get close enough to the shed to tell much.

Item Two: I have tried several times over the years to save Peach pits and plant them to start new trees. Never any success at all, not even a sprout.. This morning I go out to do a few things and notice several sprouts at the base of the apparently dying Peach tree. Get a shovel and find that they are from pits of peaches that fell last year and rotted. I moved two, but it looks like there are at least five more. I'll let those remain for a while and see how the two manage.

Somewhere in this thread, or maybe another, I've mentioned 'Shed Bird', a small bird of some kind that has been nesting on a light fixture in my garden shed for the last few years. I don't know for sure if it's the same bird every year or not, since I don't know how long they live. I know they migrate, because they're gone all winter.

It showed up a few weeks ago, spruced up the nest and went about other business. I always talk to it when I go in the shed and it usually just looks down at me like I'm crazy.

Well, the last couple of days I could see it sitting up there but never saw any of the usual motion. This morning, I noted that the tail feathers were in exactly the same place as yesterday. So, reluctantly, I did some poking and prodding and there was no response at all.

Got a long reach grab stick and removed the remains.

I have no idea what happened. Maybe the last cold spell was too much for it. Maybe age.

I've also noticed another flitting in and out of the shed. Could be the partner.

Is it weird to be bothered by this stuff?

No, it isn't weird at all. I find that these little things are the ones that can put a damper on my day. At least your birdie passed in a safe place (I hate finding the birds that crash into my windows).

I currently have a situation that is taking too much of my time--I have a beautiful flowering tree right outside my kitchen window with a birdhouse. The birdhouse was super busy last summer but this year there is just a lonely male sparrow that sits by it all day, chirping. I guess he's hoping some little hottie hears and checks him and his little house out.

I know some people hate sparrows, but I like all the birds. Seeing the babies stick their heads out, trying to get the nerve to fly was so fun. And then the parents would start a new family right away.

So proud of myself! :smile:

I turned my apple tree shrub back into a tree today. Cut down at least 7 trunks by hand (loppers and pruning saw).

I had a lot of energy to burn off. :mad:

I also started turning my "character" lopsided pine tree into a proper upright tree. It looks a little bare like a Charlie Brown tree, but it does look happier.

Only problem is my neighbors don't have as much privacy. Whoops! I guess I don't either, until the cherry tree gets some leaves or the apple tree fills out on top. Cherry tree could be dead though. :-s I'll give it a few more weeks to sprout leaves. I may have to take it down too.

My biceps will be sore tomorrow....

So proud of myself! :smile:

I turned my apple tree shrub back into a tree today. Cut down at least 7 trunks by hand (loppers and pruning saw).

I had a lot of energy to burn off. :mad:

I also started turning my "character" lopsided pine tree into a proper upright tree. It looks a little bare like a Charlie Brown tree, but it does look happier.

Only problem is my neighbors don't have as much privacy. Whoops! I guess I don't either, until the cherry tree gets some leaves or the apple tree fills out on top. Cherry tree could be dead though. :-s I'll give it a few more weeks to sprout leaves. I may have to take it down too.

My biceps will be sore tomorrow....

Hooray! You got the pruning saw & lopper! Which did you choose?
I planted a new fig tree. It has leaves. This marks a massive improvement over the last fig tree I planted, which became a dead stick rather quickly.

Hooray! You got the pruning saw & lopper! Which did you choose?
I planted a new fig tree. It has leaves. This marks a massive improvement over the last fig tree I planted, which became a dead stick rather quickly.

Already had the regular lopper, not the extension lopper. I bought the best pruning saw they had. It was pretty good. It from fiskars and I think it was $20.

I will need an extension lopper for at least one of the cherry trees. I may try to rent one if the cherry trees survive. Otherwise I'll have someone come in to cut them down.

The branches are all over my lawn today. I need to cut and bundle them for the trash. Lotta work! Maybe I can take some more frustration out on them and actually enjoy it. The dog loves the obstacle course - he likes to move and chew sticks.

Congrats on your fig tree! My Mom loves fresh figs.

Morning all....venturing back over to this side of the world (forum) lol as I've started again my re-decorating. Problem being, is I'm spending so much on furniture, I kinda feel guilty! :wondering

I started off buying a new sofa as my old one is 10 years old, my style has changed and the current one is so stained and dirty its hard to clean anymore and then my dining room table broke again (been repaired multiple times) after I had already ordered my new living room, and had to order a new table so i've put out a significant $$ amount in the last few months. The good thing is I keep telling myself that now I won't have to replace anything for another 10+ years and I can easily replenish my savings, but its still a hard pill to swallow when you make such large purchases..particularly when I'm trying to save more money so I can move in the next few years.

Anyone else find themselves in the same boat?

Morning all....venturing back over to this side of the world (forum) lol as I've started again my re-decorating. Problem being, is I'm spending so much on furniture, I kinda feel guilty! :wondering

I started off buying a new sofa as my old one is 10 years old, my style has changed and the current one is so stained and dirty its hard to clean anymore and then my dining room table broke again (been repaired multiple times) after I had already ordered my new living room, and had to order a new table so i've put out a significant $$ amount in the last few months. The good thing is I keep telling myself that now I won't have to replace anything for another 10+ years and I can easily replenish my savings, but its still a hard pill to swallow when you make such large purchases..particularly when I'm trying to save more money so I can move in the next few years.

Anyone else find themselves in the same boat?

I agree! I moved into a new house with significantly more space, so I've found I need furniture that fits better. I hate the monetary aspect, but I will be glad once it all comes together!

We're selling our home as we have had it valued and it's went significantly up in price. Going to use the profit to upscale to bigger and newer home.

I'm a bit nervous at the prospect of moving from my first home (the house we are currently in is the first one my bf and I bought) but excited too!

I'm house hunting in Beijing! I've never lived in a home - always apartments so it is a tad scary but we've decided to go in for a home. And so, I'm imagining my garden, steps, entry-way, so many new areas to design. I'll be asking a lot of advice here!