Holiday Decadence - Do You Have A Favorite Dish Or Desert?

1. Hmmm...this is the time of the year to break out the big guns - make something for your family or friends that you usually don't make any other time of the year.
    My friend brought over (albeit it was a bit too rich for me) a chocolate caramel drizzled butter fudge cake thing. OMG - I could feel the blood sugars shooting through the roof. I ended up divving it up to some of the folks at my kids' schools because they WERE good, but my gosh - I couldn't have a 15 pound chocolate fudge caramel wonder sitting on my sink for the next two weeks...nibbling every time you walked know how it goes...

Does anyone have a special something they like to make during this time of year be it a regular meal or a special desert? :shame:
  2. I like to make lots of different cookies, like jam thumbprint sugar cookies, shortbread and Russian tea cakes. This year I may try tiramisu finally.
  3. I love my mom's holiday cookies! For the other 11 months out of the year I'm pretty indifferent towards cookies, but holiday cookies are another story! I turn into a total cookie monster! :p

I also like to make baked french toast every year on Christmas Day. It's so unhealthy, but it's so good!!!
  4. I usually like the make some sort of lamb dish - like rack of lamb...or cornish game hens with walnuts and wild rice.
  5. I LOVE my mom's dressing!!! I have been known to eat only dressing and nothing else. When you only get it twice a year you gotta go all out!!

As far as sweets go anything with sugar!! I love homemade sugar cookies, and a glass of milk!
  6. I love the chicken pot pies my families make...althought I'm sure it's the heavy cream doesn't help anything:p
  7. Jchiara - could you please tell me a bit more about the cornish game hen with wallnuts? (Unless it's a well-kept family secret, of course!) Sounds too good! :drool: I'm mad about game + wild mushrooms + nuts.

We usually have white fish for Christmas Eve, then venison in rich spicy sauce on Christmas day - the standard cake is 'kugelhupf', cookies are 'lebkuchen' (sort of gingerbread cookies w. honey & spice - if I'm not too lazy) + some other bits & bobs...

edit: I forgot about chestnut purée!! (If I'm lucky enough to get chestnuts in Ireland...) That's the BEST THING EVER.
  8. My mom makes fudge and it is really good. I can't bring myself to eat it any other time of the year b/c it so much butter and sugar, but I make exceptions at certain times, lol!