History of Kooba?

1. I just got my first Kooba bag (Charlie!) and never really heard of the brand until recently. Does anyone know where it came from and where it started? Can you name another brand that's "at the same level" as Kooba, just for comparison?

Thanks!

2. From what I read, Kooba started in 1998. A Mother daughter team Abbie and Bonnie Held. Here's what I found about them...

When Abbe Held decided to launch her own line after ten years in the business side of fashion, working in sales at DKNY and at the helm of a midtown showroom, she took on a trusted partner -- her mom, Bonnie (Kooba is Bonnie's maiden name). "My mom and I were accessory addicts," says Abbe. "So I said, 'Oh, it'll be fun, let's make some bags.' " Suddenly, Bergdorf Goodman and Barneys -- the same vendors Held sold to in her showroom days -- were not only placing sold-out orders for Kooba's signature gold-studded leather numbers but asking to see the next collection. "We looked at each other like, 'Next collection?' " says Held. Now, two years later, their houndstooth doctor's bags and rabbit's-fur messenger bags have made Kooba a boldfaced brand. As for the family partnership, "we're still speaking," says Abbe, "so I think it's going pretty well."