Hilary Duff Boozing & Bingeing, The New Lindsay Lohan?

this seem so odd to me cos in my country legal drinking is at 18 so im was like whats the problem?! but then i remembered in the US its 21, why is that? you can vote, drive, have sex, get a loan, full time job legally but you cant gamble or drink?! maybe its just a difference in culture?

What country is that? It is a difference in culture for the most part. For example, too many people in the US drink and drive, but in Germany, I have been told, if you drink and drive the punishment is a lot more severe. No tolerance.

Also, I think that 'drinking to get drunk' mentality is too common here and the possible consequences (drunk driving, alcohol poisoning, rape,unintended pregnancy) are not worth lowering the drinking age.

I think if the age were lowered, teens would just start drinking at even earlier ages.

It seems to me that parents have either one of two ways of dealing with their child and alcohol:

"No drinking, EVER!"

"You're having a party? I'll supply the keg. Because if you're going to drink, I'd rather you do it in the house."

Both approaches give the child the wrong impression of alcohol. Neither shows them that alcohol can be an enjoyable experience, but it's important to enjoy it in moderation. They just give the child to abuse alcohol. The first one just teaches the child to hide their drinking and the second one tells the child the parents just plain don't care.

When my brother and I turned 18, our parents gave us the option of having wine with dinner. They advised us against drinking alone or in secret and brought home the importance of alcohol in moderation.

I think that approach is best.

Heath: I'm in Australia, and drink drivers here are really pretty harshly penalized too. (rightfully so) but I am in the predicament of getting my license and its it the biggest chore in the world! if you start getting your learners at 16 (which is when its first legal) it takes you until 21 to get your full license. 1 yr learners, 2 years permit, 2 yrs 2nd permit) it really sucks cos there are so many idiots out there on their P's (permits) whom act so irresponsibly and then harsher rules are placed on everyone! Just recently a law has been passed that a P plater cannot drive more that 1 passenger after 11pm to 5am. Its so stupid when trying to go out with friends. And the idiots who want to break the rules just drive anyway without their P plates.

It seems to me that parents have either one of two ways of dealing with their child and alcohol:

"No drinking, EVER!"

"You're having a party? I'll supply the keg. Because if you're going to drink, I'd rather you do it in the house."

Both approaches give the child the wrong impression of alcohol. Neither shows them that alcohol can be an enjoyable experience, but it's important to enjoy it in moderation. They just give the child to abuse alcohol. The first one just teaches the child to hide their drinking and the second one tells the child the parents just plain don't care.

When my brother and I turned 18, our parents gave us the option of having wine with dinner. They advised us against drinking alone or in secret and brought home the importance of alcohol in moderation.

I think that approach is best.

I don't know if its legal but its acceptable here to drink alcohol if your over 14 and in your parents care. In my time that ment a sip of mum's wine or dad's scotch nto gettign off your face like today. Geeze i feel so old! My friends and I reminisce of the innocents of our age growing up. (we always feel that we were the last few of that generation) Disney was the pits, the opposite sex had boy/girl germs and coke was a drink. It sad that the world has changed so drastically.

the 21 drinking age is RIDICULOUS. i grew up in europe and i was allowed a small glass of wine at dinner sometimes even as a kid and bars here would serve you pretty much if you were tall enough to reach the counter.

as for ms. duff, she's young, she's got a lot of partying to get out of her system. i did some crazy stuff between the ages of around 15-16 to my early 20s, involving drugs, drinking and partying. it wasn't an everyday kind fo thing but more an occasional hobby. and i was always among the best in my class, my friends' parents loved me and in uni i graduated on the dean's list with a double major and an honours degree... but when i tell people that don't know me so well some of the things i've done they can't believe it - because there's this stereotype that anyone that parties and has tried drugs and drinking will always end up badly. but that's really not the case. so i think people should cut this girl some slack (on her partying, not her crappy music, that s*%t's unforgivable :P) and let her have some fun.

I hope that this is not true because she is probably the only young Hollywood star who is a good role model. What does the 2nd picture prove? She doesn't have any drinks or anything in the 2nd picture.