high intensity interval training - how often?

1. Hey there! I've been starting to do the HIIT workout maxing at 8.0mph. And I love it! But...it is really wiping me out! I usually run 4-5 days a week (usually weekdays, around 4 miles each time) and lift weights every other day, crunches every day.

But with HIIT I fell like only running every other day, more like 3-4 days a week. It's not affecting the rest of my workout. I haven't gained (or lost) any weight - very close to my goal weight.

Is this normal? How often are you supposed to do HIIT?

Thanks for any help, and thanks for explaining HIIT to me. Hubby has started doing it, too. :tup:
  2. HIIT is a super taxing workout. It always wipes me out. I have read that no more than three HIIT sessions per week is all right. You should mix up high intensity training with longer, steady state cardio sessions :yes:
  3. I suggest eating more protein, more often. I am doing Body For life and their workout program is all about HIIT, and I have found my energy level has skyrocketed with the 5 meals a day!! Even though I did my running this morning I still have so much energy to walk when I get home...

I highly recommend the 5/6 meals a day :tup:
  4. Thanks you guys for the 2 great suggestions. :smile:

That's what I was thinking, Cristina, to alternate with easier cardio workouts. Hopefully I can do it!

Tabbbyco, I think you are right, I do need more protein. I try not to eat meat too much (although I do), so I'm going to have to think about this one (try not to do too much soy either).

I also noticed today that I have a bit less energy on the day of HIIT, and usualy I have a big energy BOOST after working out. I still FEEL great, but less energy. Maybe it is the protein, and also my body getting used to it.

5. You do HITT on the treadmill? I always thought the treadmill's functions were too slow for HITT. I always do mine on the bike and it is tiring!!! I think i do HITT only when i feel lazy and dont want to do a whole hour of cardio. I hear its not good to do on a daily basis or even more than 3 times per week. It can do serious damage to joints and muscles.
  6. Treadmills definitely go fast enough! :yes:

I have sensitive knees, and so far (thank goodness!), no problems. Guessing joint problems would be from losing form if you are going too fast to be mindful of what you are doing.