High Cholesterol

1. :crybaby: I just found out that my cholesterol is pretty high. Healthy cholesterol for a female is below 200, I am at 197. I know its still within range but I'm cutting it too close.

Has anyone had this problem and how did you control/lower the cholesterol? (Besides Cheerios :p)
  2. Did your doctor give you the individual numbers for your HDL, LDL and triglycerides? It's more important to know those numbers than it is to focus on your overall count. I don't think you need to be concerned unless one of the individual numbers is higher or lower than it should be.
  3. Did the dr. say you needed to lower it? It's below 200 and if you're young, your HDL (the good cholesterol) is probably high. I wouldn't worry too much.
  4. I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much if your doctor didn't think it was a problem.

But, if you still want to lower it a bit, the easiest thing to do is to watch what you eat - cut back on egg yolks and cheese and increase your soluble fiber intake (yes, Cheerios ;) but also a lot of other cereals, oatmeal). And getting more excercise doesn't hurt either.
  5. I actually didn't find this out from my Dr but from donating blood they gave me my cholesterol. I am not TOO worried about per se, but I do think that it would be smart to start watching it.

thanks everyone!
  6. Then DO NOT worry, then - that is totally inaccurate. In order to get accurate results you would have to fast for 12 hours prior to the test. Plus, I wouldn't trust the test used by a donation facility anyway. :nogood:
  7. My combined cholesterol runs high (genetic: thanks Ma!), but my HDL is so high it's off the charts, so I don't worry about it. I'm not giving up cheese or chocolate for anybody!!!
  8. I'm 18, and I was tested about 6 months ago. My cholesterol was also 197! But my HDL, which is the good one, was 77. Which is good. Cholesterol runs really high in my family (my dad is skinny and his went as high as 390!!!). I weigh 105 pounds, yet mine was also high. Ummm I stopped eating donuts and I ate lots of oatmeal. But other than that I pretty much continued my normal eating patterns. I also stopped eating fast food a lot. I just got tested again two weeks ago and it went down to 176! But don't worry, 197 really isn't that bad! It's just nice to be careful.