Hershey stopping production of mints that police say resemble street drugs

1. 2008-01-24 23:36:38 -

HERSHEY, Pennsylvania (AP) - The Hershey Co. is stopping production of Ice Breakers Pacs in response to criticism that the mints look too much like illegal street drugs, the company's president and chief executive officer said Thursday.
    Hershey CEO David J. West disclosed the decision during a conference call about the

company's newly released fourth-quarter earnings report.

Ice Breakers Pacs, which first hit store shelves in November, are small dissolvable pouches with a powdered sweetener inside. The pouches come in blue or orange and bear the Ice Breakers logo.

Members of Philadelphia's police narcotics squad said the mints closely resemble tiny heat-sealed bags used to sell powdered street drugs. They said the consequences could be serious if, for example, a child familiar with the mints found a package of cocaine.
    Some community and law-enforcement leaders have expressed concern about the shape of pouch and the Xylitol sweetener inside, and about the possibility of the mints being mistaken for illegal substances, West said.

"We are sensitive to these viewpoints and thus have made the decision that we will no longer manufacture Ice Breakers Pacs," he said.
    Ice Breakers Pacs remain on store shelves but are expected to be sold out early this year and no more are being made, West said. Kirk Saville, a company spokesman, said they had been distributed across the United States on a limited basis.
    Hershey has said the mints were not intended to resemble anything.

(http://www.pr-inside.com/hershey-stopping-production-of-mints-that-r404025.htm)

67150.jpg
  2. Good for Hershey!

3. I agree. I get what the company was trying to do and they look cool, but it would be horrible if a child mistook the drug for candy.

4. Well, yeah! My first thought was it's a street drug!

Good for you Hershey. Too much of this stuff (like putting smiley faces on Ecstasy) or heart shaped Valuim, is allowed. It's not "cute" or "cool" when a child is in the morgue.

5. I understand the concern, but really, what are the chances of an unsupervised, young child finding a bag of narcotics and thinking it was an ice breaker mint? This is going to cost Hershey millions of dollars and I don't see the mint as being a big threat to kids.

6. ITA. I don't see some drug thug leaving his drugs (ie. livelihood) just laying around. I mean, why would they waste their good drugs on non-paying customers? LOL

7. Well, how about all the wasted tax dollars when someone calls the cops on some kid who's got these in his hands and they mistake it for drugs? And believe me, when you are high, you really don't pay that much attention to where you put your drugs. I've heard of enough kids coming into the ER who'd gotten into Mommy, Daddy, Uncle John's "stash". Just the other day there was a story on the news where a 18 month old was brought in drunker than a skunk... his "parents" had left half-filled beer and vodka bottles within his reach.

I can see a school principal having to call in the police and search a student or a group of students with these things... no, it's just too easy to make a visual error that would cost the taxpayers while the authorities test these things and get it all straightened out.

8. Good for them!

9. Yikes!!! well...I guess it's better to be safe.

10. aww nuts, I think that would have been cool.

11. I understand the thinking by Hershey. Unfortunately, it's not going to stop children ending up in the ER when their screwed up parents leave their stash lying around.

12. Sigh. Here society goes again, childproofing the whole world. Look. If parents took responsibility for their kids, companies like Hershey wouldn't feel compelled to.

13. I have some of these. They are pretty good. I'm not sure how I feel about them being discontinued though.

14. ^^ I'm sure they'll come out with something with the same formula, just not as . . . . controversially shaped.

15. This story is just incredible.....amazing what happens in our society sometimes!