Hermes Support Group - Have to wait/save to get your dream bag? Talk about it here!

Hi Everyone! So glad you started this thread :smile:

I'm lucky to have a dh who really works his tail off and spoils me rotten. :queen: However, over the years we've bought our dream home, upgraded our cars, had two kids and I stopped working (to go back to school and raise our boys). He flinched and kicked about my LV addiction and Hermes is mind blowing for him.

Neither of us grew up wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, quite the opposite. I grew up po, as Oprah says. So poor we didn't even know we were poor. (What do you mean people buy clothes at a store? I thought everyone's mom made their clothes, lol) My husband grew up in the slums of a very tribal rural village in southern India. Didn't even have power or running water until he was in High School.

I could save and buy one it'd take at least a year. But, the cost of one Birkin is double the amount my father in law needs for his triple bypass (in India). And, would be the cost of a trip back to India with kids in tow. It's also enough to build a very nice middle class home in a larger city (in India). So...I just don't see how I can let myself do it...even if I manage to save (which I totally suck at).

Even now when I pick up my Popincourt I think about the kidsI see each time we go to India...writing about it almost makes me say I'll never make a lavish purchase again! :crybaby:

I just feel so blessed with what I already have. And, love watching everyone elses reveals! I live through everyone else here. I'm sure one day I'll have my own reveal...but for now I'm patiently waiting for the time to come. :sigh:

Hi Sweetie!!!!!;)

You Are One Great Sister!!!!!!!:yes:

ocmommy, (((hugs))) for you and your daughter.
I have a special needs sister. She lives in a group home
and comes home for regular visits. :heart:

temo, that's interesting...if you build it, they
will come. I love your idea on the fantasy picture thread. :smile:

chigal, I hope that you get well soon. :smile:

Agent Kitty, what an interesting story. Thank you
for sharing. I would say don't feel guilty, if you
have the money, and you have a Birkin and Kelly
on order--go for it! Love them and enjoy them. Your
husband sounds like a sweetie, not because he can buy
you those things, but because of the gesture.
I know what you mean about a guilt, here I am on the other side
of the financial spectrum, and if anyone from family, friends,
acquaintances, KNEW I wanted a H bag (or two...or three) ;)
and how much they cost, I'd be getting all sorts of insults
thrown at me.

candace, my one school friend has a husband in Iraq, and
when she mentioned to me a few weeks ago how much
he makes, I couldn't believe it...they deserve so much more.

bagluv, hi!!

Suzie, sometimes I think I'll only have one H
bag in my life, and that's okay. :smile:

mpa, sending (((Hugs))) your way!!
I really hope that you get your Birkin. I'm glad to hear
that you are walking. :heart:

no_1_diva, there is actually a picture of older Kelly 28black box GH on the forum already. Take a look in the Reference section, in the Members' Hermes items thread. On page 17 Janss posted a beautiful picture of her 1993 Kelly. You can see it has no extra shoulder strap rings like the new Kellys, and it looks like she has a black canvas strap as well.

Thanks for that! Another good thing about the vintage Kelly is that they all come with the single rings. I prefer that to the double rings.

I know what you mean. I have bought a cape cod watch, a red alligator strap. An H reversible belt (which I had to go back and exchange for the smaller size as the girl sold me the wrong one) from the Sydney store and also have been in a lot to look at things. I don't feel like part of the family either, maybe you have to be super rich. I think the doorman was nicer to me! They never seem to have anything in there, the same 4 bags have been on display for ever and for about the last 3 months they have had 1 scarf ring (an orange one). There is one lady I got on well with (she is quite new) as we have a mutual interest in horses, but the last several times I have been in there she hasn't been on shift.

I hope you get your Kelly, at least we want different styles, you want retourne and I want rigide.

My friend says the exact same thing. But once you go in there regularly and make purchases from time to time, I've noticed that people who have previously ignored you will walk past and say hello, which can be quite surprising.

I hope you get your Kelly too. At least there will be less competition since we want slightly different things. :P

Hi Everyone! So glad you started this thread :smile:

I'm lucky to have a dh who really works his tail off and spoils me rotten. :queen: However, over the years we've bought our dream home, upgraded our cars, had two kids and I stopped working (to go back to school and raise our boys). He flinched and kicked about my LV addiction and Hermes is mind blowing for him.

Neither of us grew up wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, quite the opposite. I grew up po, as Oprah says. So poor we didn't even know we were poor. (What do you mean people buy clothes at a store? I thought everyone's mom made their clothes, lol) My husband grew up in the slums of a very tribal rural village in southern India. Didn't even have power or running water until he was in High School.

I could save and buy one it'd take at least a year. But, the cost of one Birkin is double the amount my father in law needs for his triple bypass (in India). And, would be the cost of a trip back to India with kids in tow. It's also enough to build a very nice middle class home in a larger city (in India). So...I just don't see how I can let myself do it...even if I manage to save (which I totally suck at).

Even now when I pick up my Popincourt I think about the kidsI see each time we go to India...writing about it almost makes me say I'll never make a lavish purchase again! :crybaby:

I just feel so blessed with what I already have. And, love watching everyone elses reveals! I live through everyone else here. I'm sure one day I'll have my own reveal...but for now I'm patiently waiting for the time to come. :sigh:

You have so much , wealthy with love and family, this means so much more than a leather good

and dreams can come true
:smile:

Hi my name is Pursecrzy. This is such a great thread.

I started buying handbags several years ago and have a pretty good collection so far but no Hermes yet. The prices are a pretty big step up from what I've been buying. I was in a boutique after christmas and saw a dark purple Bolide. Instant lust. However, I couldn't justify the $5000 before tax. I did see the Picotin on several threads and like the bag and could handle the price of one a little better. I have several accessories from Hermes- scarves, shoes, gloves etc all purchased on sale.

I own my house (no mortgage) but have a line of credit I'm trying to pay off. Need to be a little more fiscally responsible. I also need to do some renovations and would like to take a vacation.

Candace, like you, I also buy Chanel cosmetics. They always make me feel special when I see the CC on the packaging. My skin is very pale and they have foundation that matches it. It also gives me a reason to go into the boutique!

DamierLover, I liked your quote about never giving up
in life, it's true. My sister is advanced, she can talk in short
sentences and does group piece work, that she does get
paid for. She loves her walkman and stuffed bear. :smile: :heart:

candace, Thank You for your service to our country.

mpa, you're welcome. :smile:

lvdreamer, Me too. It really is a dream to be able to open up
a BIG orange box.

I can't speak for anyone else, but as tempting as it would be,
I would never go into debt for a H bag. I want to be able to
afford it outright.

I do believe that if one meets their family/finance obligations,
and you have the extra to splurge - why the heck not?
(although, in my dreams, I'd like to see the prices go down,
NOT the quality, but the price...just a little...make it a
bit easier for us working folks.)

My name is Valencia and I crave an Evelyne PM2, a Berlingot GM, and a Trim2. I am still researching colors and leathers. I am sooo glad I decided to take a look at tPF today because this thread ROCKS!!!! While I love to look at the reveals, I must admit that sometimes the green-eyed monster rears its head and I have to back away for a while. I think my main issue is that there just isn't enough money to do all that I want. DH and I are really big on trying to pay off our house asap and saving towards an early retirement. But most of all I :heart: to travel. DH swears I must be TLC and the Travel Channel's #1 fan ever.

Sometimes when I think of the investment in H that I am considering, I get a little :shocked: an wonder if I am a little :nuts:. An Evelyne PM2 or a Berlingot GM would easily pay for airfare for 2 from the PNW to Europe plus a few nights hotel and a Trim2 would cover us for a week. When I look at my Coach or my LV items (purchased as souvenirs from various trips to Paris) I get a nice feeling but when I look at my retirement savings or my pictures from various trips I actually feel a little :tispy:. So like many of you I am saving my little duckets one by one until that magic H day comes.

valencia, I know what you mean. There was an ad on TV for hot tub installation and another one for a rain gutter awning. Their combined price can buy one HAC! ;)

But, I still want my Bolide - even if by the time
I can afford it, it will probably the price of today's
exotics. ;) *lol*

Hi, I hope I can join the group. I am not craving a purse right now but I am wanting a scarf. I keep thinking to myself how long will it take if I save up all the change I find in dh's pockets, lol. I don't want to ask him because the kids are several activities and have a lot of fees coming up and we also like to travel too. So for now I just keep looking at the scarf threads and wishing I could have a lovely scarf.

Razorbackbelle0, Thanks for the tip! I just might do that but first I need to figure out which one I want. Everyone looks so good with theirs on that I need figure out what looks good on me and narrow it down to one. What is your holy grail scarf?

Well, right now it's "Promenade a Versailles" which is a gorgeous Versailles image, but it's impossible to find, it was made in the '50's. My favorite scarf is "Cosmos" by Ledoux. Look that one up! It's very classy. You might also look at the newer Astrologie / Zodiac, I'm coveting that one! The grail I found for $130 was Feux du Ciel by Kwumi Sefedin. I'm also on the lookout for La Tour Eiffel S'Envole; I just can't afford anymore H right now! I'm trying to conserve because I'm buyin' a house. :tup:

Sarah, a lot of members here are very good at telling the almost-too-good fakes from the real thing in handbags. Are the scarf offerings on ebay mostly legit? Is there a way to tell? Thanks. :smile:

There doesn't seem to have been a man in this thread yet...so here goes ;)

I am 20 (21 in 2 weeks), and grew up very upper middle class. Now I am in the midst of my 3rd year of undergraduate, with hopes of being done May 2009 (currently abroad in France). My parents are sensible, smart, loving people, but they already went through expensive child #1 (my brother, age 31), so they are very ready for me to be out of school, supporting myself...which I understand and agree with, since they are getting up in age...(ie ready to retire) - all of which means that I pay for my love of all things leather on my own (sorry for the long explan).

I got into Prada and Louis Vuitton about 3 years ago, always picking the non-trendy, classic items over the logo-ed stuff...and recently have resorted to saving up as much money as possible to get one big thing (LV SS07 Bequia Trotter last summer, if you are familiar) instead of 3 or 4 smaller things.

I feel like Hermes is the ultimate in leather goods (why else would I be here?), so of course, I have been saving. But, as per usual (within this thread), with price increases and the astronomical pricing (to begin with) of men's bags, I am forced into either H canvas/leather bags (buenaventura), or lower priced non-H leather bags (which I am now seriously considering...Prada).

In the end, I would love to collect exotic skin things. I saw a beautiful Globetrotter GM Zip agenda in natural lizard in Paris last weekend - 1400 euro (about $2100), and of course, anything croc would be fab. I also really love barenia...

I suppose my "wish list" might include the Victoria II in any color, a Kelly Depeche in any color, or a Steve messenger in Etoupe (something like 4300 euro in Bordeaux a couple of weeks ago!)...

Someday, once I have graduated, and I have thrown myself to the mercy of the job gods, I will have my salaried paycheck and will be ready to take the plunge. But, as some of my friends have pointed out, I am only 20...I should pace myself ;)

(ps again i apologize for the length)