Hermes SA rant - I want my Birkin! (long rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not going to lie. I am actually a bit offended by this.

you storm in demanding what you want....but you don't understand the system.

I am sure Chanel, LV, any of the stores with hard to get bags would be a bit put off if you demanded a bag.....I mean there are waitlist and rules they follow.

you expect to get what you want....and clients that shop there or are waiting for something longer than you don't matter.

I don't want to be rude here...but my first reaction to your first post...was I felt offended and thought it was really rude.

and normally SA are not rude....they were probably shocked you demanded something you know nothing about.

that is just not how Hermes works...or any designers for that matter with limited things.

Which store do you shop at? So you couldn't help your friends get birkins? Some said in the forum that there's no waitlists and whoever walks in the right time get the birkins...

I'm in Asia. If you're on the Hermes sub-forum long enough, you'll figure out where I am.

Friends who know that I'm a regular at my store have kindly asked me to help them score their first birkins. Initially, when I was more naive, I asked and got no responses. Let's just say the SAs and manager didn't want to be rude nor do they want to disappoint.

Over time, things became clearer to me. I still asked on behalf of my friends, so my store knows who's looking for what, and they do their best to give these ladies priorities. But that said, if my friends had not shopped at all at the store, and expect to receive a birkin from the Gods ... I have to say the chance is as good as nil.

Just last night, a friend commented that her wait is going to be 2 years for a birkin. And I just politely asked her to come shop with me at our store. I think the message is very clear. I don't mince my words. I repeat what's been said to me, no birkins for walk-ins.

Queenie (one of the lovely tpfers) scored an ostrich birkin on her vacation as a walk-in. Her Hermes lucky star was shining real bright that day. Lucky, Lucky girl I say. But these incidents are few and far in between.

If you want higher chances of scoring a birkin as a walk-in, then try that in Paris, the mothership. But from what I have read, going into the store and asking for a birkin immediately is NOT a winning forumla either.

Reactions: cap4life
The Hermes boutique experience is different from any other retail experience I've witnessed so far. At first I felt a bit put-off, but now I'm really enjoying it. There is so much that can be learned. My advice is that if you don't want the learning experience then just cut to the chase and buy a bag from a reseller.

yes or just go in and enjoy the store like any other. look around and ask questions on what you see. browse, take it in....and just enjoy it. there are so many things to see. and when you ask questions the SA warms up to you....and you start just a human relationship.....and that can lead to many things

Haha!

Yes.. i did not mean to put anyone off..

I just did not know the process of the Hermes culture

I knew there were waitlist and i just expected to be able to put my name down on one, that is all..

On my first Hermes visit, I made the mistake of blurting out "I want a Birkin" almost immediately. I too received similar responses by the SA. How naive I was! I soon realized there are probably many loyal Hermes customers that still have not scored a Birkin. So it isn't realistic to think you will walk into a boutique and walk out with a Birkin, and especially one of your choice. lol

Hmm, yes. If you do go to a LV store and ask for their most famous bag, the speedy, they usually have it....:P

Ah yes..but harken back to a few seasons ago with the Murakami bags ( the multicolore and cherry blossoms). I will tell you that I saw many a person walk into the local LV store to be told they did not have any...and well...they did have them...for their loyal customers....

Hermes is no different, the Birkin is still a hot bag...as much in demand as the Murakami was a few years ago.

Ah yes..but harken back to a few seasons ago with the Murakami bags ( the multicolore and cherry blossoms). I will tell you that I saw many a person walk into the local LV store to be told they did not have any...and well...they did have them...for their loyal customers....

Hermes is no different, the Birkin is still a hot bag...as much in demand as the Murakami was a few years ago.

Reminds me of Amanda! She is now a true-blue H convert.

Which store do you shop at? So you couldn't help your friends get birkins? Some said in the forum that there's no waitlists and whoever walks in the right time get the birkins...

This varies with each location. The boutique near you & I is much, much more likely to have Birkins actually on the floor (or in the back). And every single time I visit there is atleast 2 Kellys either on the floor or in the back.

But if you go to Beverly Hills Hermes, you may never, ever see a Birkin on the floor since they have constant customers coming in to snatch them up the minute they arrive.

yesterday, mother's day...i went to H in south coast plaza (my 2nd)....looking for a lindy. a nice SA asked if i needed help...and i said outright, Lindy pls:P again...same with BH...totally out of stock, need to be put on list. asked about leathers....to learn more...even the kelly elan....he is very helpful. i bought a scarf (my first)....after the purchase, i asked what's a birkin 30cm actually looks like....he told me he have some on hold....he can bring it out for me to check on.

he showed me a 30cm rose dragee (raw pork?) in clemence, he said he hated that color:rolleyes: after trying it on and feel the bag on me. he said...he will put me on a list when i finally decide to get one and i may get it sooner. whoa! told him- not yet...i wanna see a lindy first.:P

when we left the store, dh said there is another customer who looked for a birkin and the SA informed the person there is none...even just to look at.

it was also a nice experience building a relationship with a Hermes SA.

Status
Not open for further replies.