Hermes - Paris words in Birkin Buckle

1. Hello all Hermes Gurus! I have spotted a difference between various buckles in a Hermes Birkin bag so hopefully if someone could shed some light on this topic that would be great!

I noticed in the buckle plate where the words HERMES - PARIS is engraved, sometimes there is a little square with something inside it go after "Paris", and sometimes there is not.

An example of a buckle WITH the little square is:
    http://www.luxury-shops.com/luxury/1_search/detail.php?ID=4757
    And if you look at this one, there are no squares after HERMES - PARIS
    http://www.luxury-shops.com/luxury/1_search/detail.php?ID=4606

Now I'm suspicious that square has to do with the hardware type - ie, Gold has the square and the others don't (simply because I have a Gold HW one and it has the square in it too), but could someone here confirm or deny my suspicion please?

Many thanks to all the Hermes Gurus here!

2. ^^^You got it right! It indicates gold plate.

3. Thanks hermesgroupie!!

4. ^^if hg doesn't know then nobody knows! ;)

5. True, oh so true!^^

6. I didnt know that, Thanks HG!

7. WOW hg...u know EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! awesome!!!!!!

8. hermesgroupie:
    do you know if the hardware ever comes in 14K/18K gold as opposed to just gold plated?

9. ^^^^A long time ago it used to be solid brass.

10. I too was wondering about that little doodad after the Hermes Paris on my buckle, thanks for clearing that up!!! :biggrin:

11. Thanks HG, that's great to know.

12. Sandiaexchange has/d had a bag up for auction where she managed to photograph the 'little dooda' up close. It's a horse's head! Too cool!

13. Wow, that's neat! Maybe we should get magnifying glasses and check out the horse :p

HG and hello2703 you guys are amazing! :choochoo:

14. I didn't notice this. Great information!

15. wow, didn't know that either... HG does know so many things........ about H!!!! so lovely to have a very kind and knowledgeable person sharing with us all these H information.. thanks HG!!