Hermes in Montreal?

1. Does anyone know what their stock is like? It looks to me like its just in a department store- do they carry leather goods or just scarves? I'm in the market for an agenda and was hoping they'd have one.

Also, what should I expect Canadian pricing to be like? Is there a large markup on top of the exchange rate difference?

2. Stocks vary - there was a recent post about a PFer who lucked out there and stocks were excellent, including Birkins!

Canadian pricing is TERRIBLE. Honestly, I'm Canadian and I try not to buy Hermes here! The price you pay here, especially since visitors don't get the GST rebate anymore, will be similar to a moderate reseller markup. Hermes hasn't done a price correction even though our dollar is stronger than the US one.

Almost everything is marked up by around 20% - the same scarf that's $325 US there is $400 Canadian here, plus around 13-14% tax on top of that. The Birkins are about $1500 more, plus more tax.

3. The prices really are terrible. But the last time I was there, there were quite a few agendas, and recently I've been seeing quite a few bags as well.

I don't really think it's worth it to pay the ridiculous markup. The selection isn't bad, however, and I love most of the staff, so if you have time, go. It's a boutique in Holt Renfrew, which is having a lot of beauty events right now.

4. hm. any guesses on what an agenda would cost? (just the basic cover, probabaly in the 2nd smallest size- its a little over $300 US). I don't live anywhere near an H store and very rarely travel to a place that does, so I'd be willing to pay a small markup for that "in store experience."

5. Hi Ilove Choo, I'm the one who posted about Montreal, here are links to those threads. Don't know how much agendas are, but everything was a lot more expensive. You may want to check h.com - I think people were saying that they've started carrying agendas. But the staff there were really nice, and they were incredibly well stocked. HTH!!

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/scored-yesterday-with-pix-sorry-so-long-198567.html
    http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-shopping/inventory-update-what-have-you-seen-and-where-13388-post4221725.html?highlight=montreal#post4221725
    http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-shopping/holts-montreal-196524.html?highlight=montreal

6. The Canadian dollar is now worth more than the US dollar!!! It is unfortunate for Americans and Canadians at present. Our Canadian dollar is expected to climb even further in coming months. If you are in the USA I would take advantage of your weak economic position,and shop US. You may also find it less expensive in Paris.

7. Hello there. Hermes is located in a department store called Holt Renfrew. They do have leather goods, some clothing, jewelry, and scarves. however, you wont find any birkins there. Take a look, and good luck! Hope you will find the agenda you are looking for :smile:

8. I would like to bump this thread. I'm visiting Montreal (for the first time!) in 3 weeks and am curious as to the selection at this H. Are the prices really astronomical? I'm definitely planning to buy a memento from H Montreal to commemorate my trip with the BF but if the prices are nuts then I may just reconsider.....any help would be MUCH appreciated!! Thanks! :smile:

9. hi Genie! An early welcome to Canada!

We were in Montreal Hermes at the beginning of the month. There was lots of merchandise in the Hermes boutique in Holt Renfrew on Sherbrooke St & my SA told me that the new season stock would be arriving in Canada the following week. You should have a decent selection. We do have a hidden luxury tax of 17% then the HST of 13%. Unfortunately either of these are refundable.

There are a few very nice consignment shops usually with a decent selection of Hermes scarves & sometimes other merchandise if you are looking for deals.

The museum just down the street from H is well worth a visit.

10. #10 Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    Not sure what you are referring to in terms of a "hidden luxury tax"?

The tax in Quebec is higher than 13 percent, however:
    http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/entreprise/taxes/tvq_tps/

11. Hi Genie,
    I cannot comment on the selection in Montreal since I live in Calgary but the mark up appears to be about 5% between US and CDN prices. If you are looking for a memento (like a bracelet), then you should expect to pay $20-50 more than you would have paid in the US. As previously mentioned HST is 13% so depending on where you are coming from that could be slighter to significantly higher than sales tax you are used to. Enjoy Montreal!

12. There is no HST in Quebec - Quebec Provincial Sales Tax and GST; and the combined rate is 14.975 per cent. From the Quebec tax web site:

The most common consumption taxes encountered by Québec résidents are:
    the goods and services tax (GST), which is calculated at a rate of 5% on the selling price
    the Québec sales tax (QST), which is calculated at a rate of 9.975% on the selling price excluding the GST

13. Thank you so much! This was so helpful. I was actually going to try my luck for a Kelly 35 or 40 since I've had NO luck at my boutique and my K40 that I ordered won't arrive until next year some time.......with that much sales tax though I may hold off unless it's just something I cannot live without. I was definitely planning on a scarf for sure that I would frame.

14. Thanks so much for your help. I think I can live with $20-$50 extra if I should decide upon a bracelet....I hadn't even thought of this but if I were to find an exotic bracelet would I have any problems bringing that back to the states?

15. :smile: Thanks so much. Good to know there's no hidden luxury tax!