Hermes Book by Koto Bolofo

I'll jump to the defense of the book! It is La Maison by Koto Bolofo (a photographer), not the be-all and end-all by Hermes themselves. A completely thorough All-About-Everything publication wouldnt really work in that it would break the essential mystique of the maker. I think the book has succeeded in it's task, to document in images the 'heartbeat' of the house. That certain images, processes and scenarios depicted aren't entirely new to us steadfast followers is another matter (let's be honest, a week-long tour of the workshops, suppliers and spaces would be the ultimate), and in all honestly, I don't think a definitive Hermes book will ever exist that will enlighten us to new information. But really, isn't TPF the definitive Hermes guide? :smile:

I'll jump to the defense of the book! It is La Maison by Koto Bolofo (a photographer), not the be-all and end-all by Hermes themselves. A completely thorough All-About-Everything publication wouldnt really work in that it would break the essential mystique of the maker. I think the book has succeeded in it's task, to document in images the 'heartbeat' of the house. That certain images, processes and scenarios depicted aren't entirely new to us steadfast followers is another matter (let's be honest, a week-long tour of the workshops, suppliers and spaces would be the ultimate), and in all honestly, I don't think a definitive Hermes book will ever exist that will enlighten us to new information. But really, isn't TPF the definitive Hermes guide? :smile:

Well put jmzr! I would be interested to hear from a tpfer who loves Hermes and rhapsodizes in the artistic element of these volumes--clearly absent in my deficienct genes. I am so shallow at times. I hate it. Thanks for your perspective!!!

Edit. I've elaborated on my too-quickly posted thought! Please disregard (mods, feel free to delete) the above.

I'll jump to the defense of the books!

A reminder that this is La Maison by Koto Bolofo (a photographer), not the be-all and end-all how-to guide by Hermes themselves. A completely thorough All-About-Everything publication wouldnt really work in that it would break the essential mystique of the maker who, I think , has always sufficiently illuminated us to the way things are done.

I think the book has succeeded in it's task, to document in images the 'heartbeat' of the house, and it has done so, as always, with humility, care and respect. A little imagination is required on the viewers part, it's true, as many images are adstract in their crop, and context, but I think the true follower and person in sync with Hermes' thinking will be good to go.

That certain images, processes and scenarios depicted aren't entirely new to us steadfast followers is another matter (let's be honest, a week-long tour of the workshops, suppliers and spaces would be the ultimate), but in all honesty, I don't think a definitive Hermes book will ever exist that will enlighten us to new information. And really, isn't TPF the definitive Hermes guide? :smile:

For everyone who is not sure, if he/she should buy 'La Maison':
I finally had some time to make a little deboxing/review video about 'the' book La Masion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhaBf8X-4eg

It will give you a short glimpse what to expect.
One should really like black and white detailed photography to be able to enjoy the little books.
I like browsing through the pictures while sitting by the fireplace.

attachment.php

Attachments

• La Maison-collage.jpg
    La Maison-collage.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 729