Hermes Birkin - Best Leathers?

1. Dear Fellowbag-deities,

I finally have my second Birkin. And I would like to share my experiences with those who are willing to take the plunge and make the splurge.

My first Birkin was a gold 40cm in Courchevel leather and gold hardware. While I loved the bag, there were faults that made itself apparent after not too long a period. I have listed them as follows:

PROS:

1. Very durable
    2. Hard leather does not flop when placed on the floor like the Taurillon and Clemence.

CONS:

1. The hard leather turns a lighter colour in the areas that are creased when the straps are tightened.
    2. This leather, when worn or deepely scratched/scuffed, can eventually show the naturally darker base colour beneath.
    3. Rather heavy.

My newly-acquired Birkin is also a 40cm, coloured in Havane but this time, I am rather pleased. While it has the same properties(misgivings included) as the bag above, the grain is natural as I opted for Coromandel leather. Very hard goatskin but amazingly lined. They managed to line the skin over the goats spine across the middle of the bag - all the way around. And the bag is very surprisingly lighter.

Coromandel is a slightly dearer material in the non-exotic leather range but I highly recommend it. The grain makes the bag look slightly old but it oozes character. The second best leather in my material, has to be Togo for it's wonderful grain with the perfect balance of 'souplesse' and durability. I wish to make another order for a Midnight blue birkin....does anyone own a Birkin or any other Hermes bag in that colour? I need to hear from any of you who have some experience with their leathers. And most importantly, does anyone know how to care for the leathers?

Any help is much appreciated.....

Photo 46.jpg Photo 45.jpg
  2. hi eric, try hermes thread, :smile:)... you have lots and lotsa information bout birkin there, :smile:

3. Thanks a Million...!!! Will try there...