**Here Are The Academy Nominees**

1. Nominations for this year's Academy Awards were announced early this morning by silverscreen goddess Salma Hayek — presumably because of the influx of Latino names which she so elegantly enunciated — and 'Dreamgirls' bested the rest with eight total nods, yet was conspicuously left out of the best picture and best director race. 'Babel' followed with seven noms.

Best Picture
    Babel, The Departed, Letters from Iwo Jima, Little Miss Sunshine, The Queen

Lead Actress
    Penelope Cruz (Volver), Judi Dench (Notes on a Scandal), Helen Mirren (The Queen), Meryl Streep (The Devil Wears Prada), Kate Winslet (Little Children)

Lead Actor
    Leonardo DiCaprio (Blood Diamond), Ryan Gosling (Half Nelson), Peter O'Toole (Venus), Will Smith (The Pursuit of Happyness), Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland)

Supporting Actress
    Adriana Barraza (Babel), Cate Blanchett (Notes on a Scandal), Abigail Breslin (Little Miss Sunshine), Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls), Rinko Kikuchi (Babel)

Supporting Actor
    Alan Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine), Jackie Earle Haley (Little Children), Djimon Hounsou (Blood Diamond), Eddie Murphy (Dreamgirls), Mark Wahlberg (The Departed)

Animated Film
    Cars, Happy Feet (that wasn't a documentary?), Monster House

Foreign-Language Film
    After the Wedding, Days of Glory, The Lives of Others, Pan's Labyrinth, Water

Director
    Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu (Babel), Martin Scorsese (The Departed), Clint Eastwood (Letters from Iwo Jima), Stephen Frears (The Queen), Paul Greengrass (United 93)

Original Screenplay
    Babel, Letters from Iwo Jima, Little Miss Sunshine, Pan's Labyrinth, The Queen

Adapted Screenplay
    Borat, Children of Men, The Departed, Little Children, Notes on a Scandal

2. Ah, I just thought to discuss this in a thread - am I right to reply here?

What do you all think of Meryl Streep being nominated for her role in THE fashion movie?

I thought she was brilliant!

3. Sure you can discuss here ! :yes:

I thought she was fantastic in The Devil Wears Prada , not sure if her performance is Oscar worthy though !

4. I haven't seen any of the other movies (no time....) so can't compare - I think she was good enough bec subtlety and hitting the right tone is super difficult

5. My picks (For the most part, I pick two so that I'm not as disappointed when my first choice doesn't win):

Best Picture
    Babel, The Departed, Letters from Iwo Jima, Little Miss Sunshine, The Queen
    I've seen Little Miss Sunshine and I loved it, but I've heard wonderful things about The Queen.

Lead Actress
    Penelope Cruz (Volver), Judi Dench (Notes on a Scandal), Helen Mirren (The Queen), Meryl Streep (The Devil Wears Prada), Kate Winslet (Little Children)

Lead Actor
    Leonardo DiCaprio (Blood Diamond), Ryan Gosling (Half Nelson), Peter O'Toole (Venus), Will Smith (The Pursuit of Happyness), Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland)
    It would be so cool if either of them won, but I'd be happy if Forest Whitaker won, too.

Supporting Actress
    Adriana Barraza (Babel), Cate Blanchett (Notes on a Scandal), Abigail Breslin (Little Miss Sunshine), Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls), Rinko Kikuchi (Babel)

Supporting Actor
    Alan Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine), Jackie Earle Haley (Little Children), Djimon Hounsou (Blood Diamond), Eddie Murphy (Dreamgirls),Mark Wahlberg (The Departed)

Animated Film
    Cars, Happy Feet, Monster House
    Happy Feet is an animated movie. March of the Penguins was a documentary. They were both penguin movies, though.

Foreign-Language Film
    After the Wedding, Days of Glory, The Lives of Others, Pan's Labyrinth, Water

Director
    Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu (Babel), Martin Scorsese (The Departed), Clint Eastwood (Letters from Iwo Jima), Stephen Frears (The Queen), Paul Greengrass (United 93)
    Martin Scorcese is due for one! (He's like the Susan Lucci of the Oscars!)

Original Screenplay
    Babel, Letters from Iwo Jima, Little Miss Sunshine, Pan's Labyrinth, The Queen

Adapted Screenplay
    Borat
    , Children of Men, The Departed, Little Children, Notes on a Scandal

6. I agree 100%! I was so happy when she won the Golden Globe and hope that she wins the Oscar as well, although the buzz in the Best Actress category seems to be for Helen Mirren in "The Queen".