Her parents should be tossed into jail [vid]

Unfortunately in America, this sh*t happens and I will tell you why I think it happens....

For one thing, many people do not have HEALTH INSURANCE. In fact, 30 precent of the population does not right now. The amount of tests required to determine what was really wrong with this child probably cost thousands upon thousands of dollars. If you watch the footage, the family does not seem very wealthy. I am sure that in addition to no financial resources, there was just a lack of education and fear, that ultimately led to this child's medical needs being neglected.

Maybe I am reading way too much into this, but this little girl's story is but the tip of the iceberg. There are many people in our country right now who have health problems that are not being addressed because they cannot afford it.

Meanwhile we spend billions in Iraq each month.

What's wrong with this picture???

They could have been poor...but then again, if they can afford to feed her eight hot dogs in one sitting as a so-called "snack," then they weren't THAT broke. Sounds like they just had a bad case of mixed up priorities.

And in many places there is medical care for poor children. Most of the children that we deal with at work are covered under Peach Care (a state of GA program) or Medicaid. And most doctors' offices and hospitals can--in certain cases--put patients (or the parents of minor patients) on some type of payment plan. So I don't think the healthcare industry (or lack thereof) is too much to blame.

Everything in my opinion falls back on the parents, who could have gotten help, probably, if they'd acted sooner and/or more intelligently. Shame on them.

:tdown:

You know, both my husband and I are considered obese. We have a 5-year-old and I often wonder if we under feed him since we are so afraid he will turn into us. It is so scary to think he would suffer the way that we did...I am so sad for that little girl...

^^^Sunnyfreckles, your post makes me sad.
When we have our children, our hearts really are walking around outside of our bodies.

While I'm sure that you are using your maternal instints to provide the right diet for your son, I hope you find a happy balance that reassures you that you are doing the right things!

That's ridiculous. She's 7. How do you get that large @ 7 w/o your parents completing leading you in that direction????

Actually, Maury over here has been showing re-runs & the one with her was on last week. I was disgusted that both Maury & her mother found it hilarious to make light of the situation by saying 'I hear you can speak French' to which the girl replied 'yearup! French Fries! French Fries'!

WTH??

^^^Sunnyfreckles, your post makes me sad.
When we have our children, our hearts really are walking around outside of our bodies.

While I'm sure that you are using your maternal instints to provide the right diet for your son, I hope you find a happy balance that reassures you that you are doing the right things!

I just started to cry when seeing this...you know, I am sure that we had hell growing up in one way or another, and that was mine. I have this perfect 5-year-old with no worries yet and no idea what it means to get his feelings hurt...I can only pray that he won't face the same problems I did...so we just try everyday to make sure we are doing the right thing. That is the best I can do! :girlsigh:

Actually, Maury over here has been showing re-runs & the one with her was on last week. I was disgusted that both Maury & her mother found it hilarious to make light of the situation by saying 'I hear you can speak French' to which the girl replied 'yearup! French Fries! French Fries'!

WTH??
Yea I remember that! She said "French fries and french toast," and everyone laughed. :rolleyes::cursing:

I seriously doubt this girl has a medical condition (this is just my opinion, I'm not a doctor, nor have I examined her). She's been to many doctors over the years. Many. And all find nothing wrong with her. I think this is a compounded case of genetics (her mother and grandmum are big) and overfeeding.