Help...Would like to lose weight fast

1. Hi.

I'm trying to lose weight and have been eating semi-healthy. I'm trying to go from 145lbs. to 125lbs. but can never get below 141lbs. without the scale going back up and I no its not muscle because I don't weight lift.

My diet consists of
    breakfast: oatmeal or yogurt and water
    Snack: ginger bread cookie
    lunch: lean cuisine meal and crystal light
    snack: granola bar or graham crackers
    dinner: grilled chicken sandwich and baked potato
    snack:ginger bread cookie

Right now I do cycling for 45 mins, probably three to four times a week, it depends on my work schedule.

If someone can give me some pointers and tell me what I'm doing wrong because I would love to lose all those pounds within six weeks top, time enough to go back home looking like I got my sexy back....I know this is unhealthy weight loss..but I really want to lose it. I thought about hiring a personal trainer but I really can't afford it right now. Hope I didn't tire ya'll out with this long message.

Thanks

2. If you want to lose 20 pounds of fat -- which is what you want to lose, not water weight or muscle mass -- a more realistic time frame would be 13 - 20 weeks, not 6 weeks.

What are the quantities of food in those meals you've listed? Calories count, big time.

Just briefly, I would say switch to a more protein-rich breakfast (like your 1 pack plain instant oatmeal w/artificial sweetner + have 4 slices Hormel center-cut bacon prepared in the microwave, sopping up the grease with paper towels). OR have 1 1/2 cups of a high-protein cereal like Special K High Protein, with a higher-protein, lower-carb milk like Hood LowFat milk. Or have scrambled egg whites (or 3 - 4 whites + 1 yolk if you don't like just the whites and 1 slice of low-calorie 100% whole wheat toast (should be around 40 - 50 cals per slice.)

Nix the cookies/granola bars/graham crackers as snacks, and substitute something like 1 piece of fruit w/ 1 tablespoon peanut butter, OR 1 piece of fruit and string cheese, OR 1 Quaker Q-Smart cereal bar, OR 1 South Beach Diet High Protein Cereal Bar.

Make sure your frozen lunch is about 300 calories, and at least 20 grams of protein. Don't choose a pasta dish -- makes sure it has protein and veggies. South Beach Diet makes some good frozen entrees, too. Make sure you read the labels. And South Beach Diet also has those frozen personal pizzas which are about 350 calories and a hefty dose of protein -- those make good lunches, too.

At dinner, have the grilled chicken with EITHER the bread on the sandwich OR the baked potato, not both. And add some veggies, like broccoli or cauliflower or spinach, etc. (whatever you like).

Good luck!

3. Honestly, there is no need to starve to lose weight. I lost weight eating a decent amount of calories per day (about 1600+). Of course, it wasn't quick, I lost 25 lbs in about 6 months, but I've kept it off for almost 3 years. There are a few PFers here who have also lost weight in a healthy way, and have a healthy mindset when it comes to health, nutrition and fitness.

I can offer some advice on your diet. Your diet is very carb-heavy, and you're eating what looks like more refined sugars and processed foods. It's not always about how many calories you eat (but that does play a part), but more about what foods you eat. Make sure you're filling up on whole grains, complex carbohydrates (whole grain bread instead of white, sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes, oatmeal instead of sugary cereals, etc.), lean meats (turkey, fish, chicken), beans, healthy fats like nuts, natural peanut butter and olive oil, fruits and veggies, egg whites and low fat dairy.

Gibbs gave some good advice. Try to not choose the Lean Cuisine so much. Those meals are loaded with sodium and preservatives, not good for you. The goal should be to choose foods that are closest to their natural state, whole and unprocessed. That, along with eating 5-6 times a day to keep your metabolism steady and exercising (both cardio and weight training!) regularly will have the weight coming off in no time ;)

4. Cristina-can you recommend a good nutrition book to read?

5. It also depends how tall you are and your frame... you may be trying to get under weight, which your body will not really allow you to do without going into extreme starvation mode.

To lose weight and keep it off, it must be done properly and healthily. It is not easy, but it can be done.

gibbs, great advice!

6. Gibbs, great advice! Yes, nix those snacks they are full of sugar! replace them as gibbs said with some friut, protein, or veggies. Also, add some fiber in there!

7. If you are active, I highly recommend Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook. It is so easy to read and so informative and helpful. An EXCELLENT resource that not only explains what food we should choose but WHY.

Also, the Volumetrics books are very good, too, giving lots of very instructive photos that instantly teach you about how making smart choices can have you actually eating more food that gives you satisfaction and saiety but is extremely nutritious and leads to weight loss.

I also will say that I most highly recommend making an appointment with a registered dietician (R.D. for short: you can find one in your area by clicking on "find a nutritional professional" at www.eatright.org). That is the quickest way to get personalized knowledge to jump-start you on the way to choosing the best foods, and amount of food, and frequency of eating, for you.

If 2 appointments (initial and follow-up) with an R.D. costs you $140 or whatever, I promise you it will be worth $1400 to you, as it guides your decisions for the rest of your life, and also impacts the foods you choose and prepare for your children, and gives you knowledge to set your children on the path to healthy eating, too. The impact it will have is astounding.

8. Thanks for all of the advice. I assumed because the package said "Lean cuisine" it was healthy for me but I guess I should pay more attention to the nutritonal label. I have a tendency to snack alot because usually I'm hungry within thirty minutes after eating breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I find it very easy to drink more crystal light than water, maybe because it fills my sweet tooth. I'm 5'0 and I think the healthy weight range for me was somewhere between 100-120 lbs, which I am way over. I think I might hire a personal trainer to help me determine what kinds of weight lifting I need to be doing. I'll let you guys know how everything goes...and hopefully one day I'll be fit and more healthier. For cardion, is just cycling good or should I mix it up with different types of cardio activities such as kickboxing, step and elliptical?

Thanks again..ya'll are awesome!

9. If you're hungry very soon after eating breakfast, it's time to give your morning meal a makeover :smile: Oatmeal is a great breakfast. You can make it more filling and not-so-boring by adding fruit. Blueberries, raspberries, sliced strawberries and diced peaches taste great in oatmeal. You can also add chopped walnut or pecan pieces, or almond slivers. Nuts will add some protein and healthy fats in there. Instead of water, try drinking skim milk, or if you can't stand skim, try 1% or 2%. Low fat dairy products are good sources of protein. If you don't like milk, Ocean Spray makes very good low calorie and low sugar juices. Cranberry juice is great for you, it prevents UTIs and keeps your bladder healthy. Tropicana also makes a lower-calorie and lower-sugar orange juice.

If you're just having yogurt and water, you definitely need to add more in there. Buy some granola to put in your yogurt, and add a piece of whole grain toast with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter or another nut butter. The nut butters add healthy fats and protein, as does the granola. You can also add some sliced fruit, like cantaloupe. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It gives you a head start and gets your metabolism going, so don't skimp on it :smile:

As far as a good nutrition book, my health and fitness bible is Oxygen magazine. It's a great resource for all things nutrition and exercise. It's different from other fitness magazines that advocate eating 1200 calories a day and lifting 3-lb dumbbells. One fitness magazine I read had the "fast food diet"... WTF?! Oxygen promotes healthy, clean, nutritious eating and a balanced exercise routine of cardio and weights. It's sometimes hard to find, because it's a Canadian magazine, but most Barnes & Noble stores carry it.

10. You mentioned money might be tight right now . . . .if I were you, I'd spend money on the registered dietician appointment first. That's a smaller investment -- it's only a 1- or 2-time deal, whereas the trainer is ongoing for a bit longer (if it's to truly be effective) -- and you will see massive impact immediately.

Snacking throughout the day is not bad at all -- you should be eating 5 - 6 meals per day. (I myself eat 5: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner.) But each meal or snack should include protein, fat, and carbs. If you are hungry w/i 30 minutes of eating your meals, than you are not eating enough and not choosing the right foods.

Most people get more than enough carbs throughout the day anyway, so it makes sense to concentrate on upping your protein and making sure you are getting enough good, healthy fat.

Your biking is fine -- it's low impact and great for you. Make sure you are working hard enough.

It's always good to cross-train, and mix it up a bit with different activities, like running, elliptical trainers, walking on an incline on the treadmill, swimming, aerobics classes, etc. Cross-training not only keeps your body guessing (so your body doesn't settle into a routine and become so efficient at one exercise that that exercise is no longer as effective for you), but also works different muscles and therefore can prevent overuse injuries.

Strength training is essential, in addition to cardiovascular exercise. Weight lifting will sculpt and change your body and give you that super "hot" look that it so envied!

When weight training and cardio is combined with healthy clean eating, the body fat drops off your frame and exposes those sculpted toned muscles underneath.

Magazines like Oxygen and Muscle and Fitness Hers often have really good basic weight-training plans for beginners, along with tips for proper nutritition. Ignore all the supplement advertisements in these publications, though, because you don't need them at all!

And don't worry that you'll get all bulky and Arnold-y from lifting weights, because you won't. Women do not "accidentally" bulk up. The extreme bodybuilding-type folks you see -- both men and women -- only get that way through extremely intensive multi-hour workouts and massively strict diets, not to mention drugs, of course.

Good luck!

11. I like Atkins myself... Low Carb (Atkins is not a no carb diet). Once you get through induction, it's a breeze. It is a way of eating though, not a short term fix.

12. Awesome advice :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

13. to be honest, i have been to a dietician before.. but that was years ago.

right now, i incoporate her advise and put it into action as well. as a student studying in london, i've got my budget as well (of course, i spend too much on clothes, accessories and whatnot), and i stay with a carribean host family. i'm 6 foot +, and i've got a pretty big frame..quite rugby-ish actually, but not as bulky. i'm getting rid of my love handles too btw.

breakfast (8am): have something healthy and filling. i like special K + muesli with semi-skim milk. (use skim if you prefer. i don't like my milk watery)

snack (10.45am): i eat either some coddled eggs and mushrooms. (college food is hideous.)

lunch (12.30pm): depends on my mood, but i usually try to choose stuff that have loads of veg in it. don't be fooled by stuff like cream brocolli and stuff-> they're calorie hell!

snack (4pm): roast turkey breast slices or roast chicken breat slices.

dinner (7.30pm): rice with chicken or pasta with minced lamb/beef.

drink at least 3 litres of water. i drink 4 or 5 litres. it's good for your system.
    and NO DESSERTS...only on weekends. (choose ONLY 1 night to have dessert!)

and i do my own core strength training. crunches, oblique crunches, lower ab crunches, push ups, tricep, etc.

14. Would I be overdoing my workout if I was to work out 5x a week with the following schedule:

Monday:0915-1010 cycling
    530pm-615pm kickboxing

Tuesday:cycling and upper body workout(chest,biceps,tricelp,shoulders)

Wednesday:sculpt and abs class 605pm-635p
    Jump rope, sculpt, and step 635pm-735pm

Thursday:cycling and lower body workout (legs and abs)

Friday:

Saturday:cycling and upper body workout

Sunday: 1.5 mile run

I know that I'm supposed to burn more calories than I consume but with my case I think I eat on some occassions less than 1000 calories a day when I calculated it early, with the majority being carbs. How do you guys feel about protein supplement. I bought some protein supplements to make up for the lack of protein in my diet. I think if I had someone to work out with this would make life so much easier but I don't know anyone up here since I moved here, the only people I know are the guys that I work with.

15. Your workout plan includes too much cardio. There is no need for excessive cardio. Your body does burn calories while doing nothing. If you were to sit around all day, with minimal movement, your body would still burn around 1200 calories in a day. You have to factor that in when considering how many calories you're going to be burning through exercise, and figuring out how many calories you need to eat.

I see you don't have anything listed for Friday. Is that a rest day? If so, good. You need to take at least one day off, so your body can rest and recover. It will energize you and keep you motivated to continue working out. Overdoing it quickly leads to fatigue, boredom and loss of motivation.

If you are new to working out, I would do 30-45 minutes of cardio 3x-4x a week, and weights 3x a week, doing an upper/lower body split. For example...

Monday - upper body (chest/triceps/shoulders); 30 minutes cardio

Tuesday - 30-45 minutes cardio

Wednesday - lower body (legs) and abs

Thursday - 30-45 minutes cardio

Friday - rest day

Saturday - upper body (back/biceps); 30 minutes cardio

Sunday - rest day, or light cardio. The 1.5 mile run would be good to do on this day, since it won't take you long, maybe 15-20 minutes, depending on how fast you run/jog. You can also do some ab work.

This is just an example. But, from the workout you posted, it seems like you'd be doing too much cardio :yes:

As far as protein supplements go, I buy vanilla flavored whey protein, a big 5 lb tub. I put it in oatmeal, make protein pancakes and make protein shakes with skim milk, yogurt and fresh fruit like blueberries and raspberries. What kind of supplements did you buy? The best way to get protein is through natural sources, like lean meats and egg whites, but protein powders, bars and ready-made shakes are good and do help with increasing protein intake :smile: