Help with Mukluks

1. Hi, this is my first post in the shoe section - and I hope that I searched the forum carefully enough, but I couldn't find anything concerning the care of Mukluks.

So the thing is: I LOVE my Mukluks. They're the best for cold weather - but I never used them in rainy/dirty/muggy weather before...But now I am going to visit a friend in New Zealand and she told me that it's raining a lot - I wonder if I should treat them with something before I leave? And how do you clean them best? When I bought them the tag said that I should just wipe the dirt off with a wet and soft towel - but this doesn't seem enough to me...

Anyone out there with experience?

Thanks in advance :smile:

2. Mukluks are made of suede, right? Are you sure it's a good idea to mix suede and rain? Maybe you should wear a different pair of shoes?

3. I remember hearing from my friend that she sprayed some kind of waterproof spray
    you may want to try it first on a small part of your mukluks..but also use another shoes/boots for your trip I would say

4. I think the only thing you can do is waterproof them with a spray. Maybe you could email them and ask them what they recommend.

5. thanks so much for your suggestions :tup: I think I will stay on the safe side and leave them at home..
    lv-lover: they're partly fur and partly suede..

6. We actually sell Authentic Canadian Mukluks and Native American Indian moccasin footwear and outerwear. We often asked your question as how to care for your moccasin and mukluk shoes.

Shoe Care for suede mukluk boots
    How to Care for your mukluk boots & suede moccasins?

1. Spray new and clean mukluk boots with one of the many products that protect against water damage and other stains. As with any fabric, test a small, unseen patch first.
    2. Store your Suede boots so that they can breathe. Avoid plastic bags, which prevent air circulation, and opt for a pillowcase instead to protect mukluks from dust. When traveling, store shoes in cotton flannel shoe bags instead of plastic bags.
    3. Keep suede mukluks away from light, which will fade the color, and damp conditions, which can encourage growth of damaging mold and mildew.
    4. If suede mukluk shoes get wet, soak up excess moisture with a clean towel. Then allow the suede to dry naturally; do not use a heat source to speed up the process. After the item dries, restore the nap (the raised fibers typical of suede) with a suede brush.
    5. Use a nail file to remove dry mud and scuff marks on suede mukluk shoes. Gently file away the stain with delicate strokes. A suede brush also works to remove dirt on shoes.
    6. Remove oil stains on suede moccasins or mukluks by rubbing talcum powder or cornmeal directly on the spot. After several hours, brush off the powder. Repeat if necessary.
    7. Recondition suede Mukluk or moccasin shoes with products designed for that purpose. Such products can also be used on suede clothing, unless the manufacturer's instructions specifically state otherwise. Make sure the item is clean first!
    8. Keep in mind that major stains will probably require professional care. Take your suede Moccasins and Mukluk Boots to someone who specializes in leather and suede. An inexperienced dry cleaner or cobbler can cause more harm than good.

www.muks.ca.jpg
  7. We actually sell Authentic Canadian Mukluks and Native American Indian moccasin footwear and outerwear. We often asked your question as how to care for your moccasin and mukluk shoes.

Shoe Care for suede mukluk boots
    How to Care for your mukluk boots & suede moccasins?
    1. Spray new and clean mukluk boots with one of the many products that protect against water damage and other stains. As with any fabric, test a small, unseen patch first.
    2. Store your Suede boots so that they can breathe. Avoid plastic bags, which prevent air circulation, and opt for a pillowcase instead to protect mukluks from dust. When traveling, store shoes in cotton flannel shoe bags instead of plastic bags.
    3. Keep suede mukluks away from light, which will fade the color, and damp conditions, which can encourage growth of damaging mold and mildew.
    4. If suede mukluk shoes get wet, soak up excess moisture with a clean towel. Then allow the suede to dry naturally; do not use a heat source to speed up the process. After the item dries, restore the nap (the raised fibers typical of suede) with a suede brush.
    5. Use a nail file to remove dry mud and scuff marks on suede mukluk shoes. Gently file away the stain with delicate strokes. A suede brush also works to remove dirt on shoes.
    6. Remove oil stains on suede moccasins or mukluks by rubbing talcum powder or cornmeal directly on the spot. After several hours, brush off the powder. Repeat if necessary.
    7. Recondition suede Mukluk or moccasin shoes with products designed for that purpose. Such products can also be used on suede clothing, unless the manufacturer's instructions specifically state otherwise. Make sure the item is clean first!
    8. Keep in mind that major stains will probably require professional care. Take your suede Moccasins and Mukluk Boots to someone who specializes in leather and suede. An inexperienced dry cleaner or cobbler can cause more harm than good.