Help with medical terms/interpretation

1. What does "sqamous metaplasia of the trigone" mean? Also, what does "a lot of amorphous material jetting out of kidneys" mean? These were noted during a cystoscopy, and I tried researching them on the internet but didn't get many answers.
    Thanks!:flowers:

2. Basically the cells are changing in the lining of your bladder due to probably a chronic infection, have you had a lot of uti's? it's generally because of inflammation.

3. Thanks, von!! No, I haven't had any infection that anyone could find, but I have had bladder and urethra inflammation and no one knows for certain why or what is causing it, no infection, no bacteria.
    Do you also know what "amorphous material" is and why it would be coming out of kidneys?

4. Amorphous material means crystals or powder, could be due to kidney stones, did your dr tell you anything??

5. Thanks, von!
    No, my urologist told me my kidneys look fine, but he didn't tell me this information, I found it out by looking at the surgical report. I don't have kidney stones, that's for certain at this point. Should crystals and powder be coming out of kidneys?

6. sometimes people have some debris up in the kidneys--it's not always stones, sometimes it is sloughing cells. By itself, it doesn't mean anything--I would ask your MD if this is relevant in the contect of everything else he saw. ​

7. ^Thanks, urologist!! Do you know if this amorphous material is a sign of inflammation? I had a little protein on a urinalysis, too.
    I have an appt. with my urologist on monday, but I really just want some ideas. :smile:

8. The "amorphous material" could be consistent with infection--with infection and inflammation, sometimes tissue swells and litle bits break off; if you have a lot of this or you are not emptying your bladder often (or have to catheterize to empty), you can see this junk floating around. By itself, not necessarily alarming, though it's not normal that it is there (just means something else is going on, but it may be something as simple as an infection and/or urinary stasis, or bits of a kidney stone coming down).

The protein in the urine is a little more difficult to answer. It can be a side effect of cells breaking open with infection/trauma/irritation, or it can potentially indicate a more serious problem with the kidneys, especially if the amount of protein in the urine is very high or if you have high blood pressure or diabetes. If it's a small amount and transient in an otherwise healthy person, there's usually no reason to worry. I would definitely ask your own MD about this, since he/she can put the findings into perspective based on all your symptoms.

Hope this helps!

9. ^^Thank you so so much, urologist!! Your information helped a lot!!:smile:

10. Also, I might as well ask what is "1/2 grade trabeculation" in my bladder? Is that normal? Is it a good or a bad thing?
    Thanks!

11. Has anyone mentioned intersitial cystitis?

I suffered for years before I was diagnosed.

12. Hi Leah, thanks for the reply!!
    Before I got the cystoscopy, interstitial cystitis was one of the possibilites I thought I had. But my urologist didn't see that it was IC during my cystoscopy, and he told me again that I don't have IC at my follow-up, it was instead urethritis and mild cystitis.
    I am so sorry that you have IC, I hope that you are feeling well!

13. I'm very glad to hear you don't have IC! It's definitely not fun to have. Plus, the men at the urologist's office always look at me funny because I'm usually the only woman patient there, and if there is another woman there....she's usually 30 years older than me!

Hope you're feeling better!

14. A trabeculation is a cord of muscle--usually there is not just one, but rather the bladder muscle is more prominent than usual because it has been working harder than usual (typically because you are trying to empty your bladder against an obstruction--we see trabeculations a lot in old men with big prostates). As for the grade, I've never heard of grading trabeculations, and I practice with some nationally known experts, so that part might be specific to your doctor. You can also see what looks like trabeculations when the bladder is super distended, because the mucosa is so thinned out that you can see the muscle fibers.