Help with hair color mishap

1. I finally decided to stop spending hundreds of dollars are going to the salon to get my hair colored. It never looks like I paid as much as I did anyway. My hair used to be very blonde but my colorist progressively made it light brown (though I didn't want that). My roots started to show, so I took matters into my own hands and tried to make it blonde with a Clairol home color kit. The crown to the ends look great, but my roots are strawberry blonde, and I HATE it. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I already tried to dye the roots a week after the intial color with a medium blonde, but they still have an orangey tint. Please help!

2. I have no clue, but let me bump this for you. Hope the rest of the ladies can point you in the right direction! BUMP!

3. ^ Thank you! That was very sweet of you to bump this up. I feel quite hideous right now. :sad:

4. Try a shampoo with some blue in it-Clairol has Shimmer Lights, it will tone the orangey down a bit. The orange is because your hair wasn't lifted enough. Hair goes in gradual steps from browner, to orange, to gold, to white. Blue is the opposite of orange, so it should help a touch,and since it is shampoo it won't ruin it-just keep the blue away from the really light part of your hair or it will go gray. The only way to truly fix it is a toner or more lightener to pull it up past the orange, and I would hire a stylist to do that or it could get worse.

5. I agree-I use lots of Shimmer Lights to keep my highlights bright-wash, rinse, repeat and leave the lather on on for a few minutes. They make a condotioner too, but it's not so great...I like the one for gray hair from Pantene.

6. If I were you & really hated the color I would have my stylist fix it or call the 1800 number on the box & see if they can help. Sorry your hair didnt turn out the way you hoped. I hate spending money to get my hair colored as well. What I did is have my stylist color my hair as close to my natural color as possible. She matched it so well that I decided to let it grow out-you can barely see the new growth. Once a week I use Aveda Clove Conditioner (Brown hair) just to freshen up the color.

7. Thanks everyone! These are really wonderful suggestions. :flowers:

This morning, I am really fighting the urge to buy another color and have another go at fixing it to make it lighter and not orange. I think I will buy Shimmer Lights after work. Can I get it at Wal-Mart and Target?

8. Shimmer lights is sold at Sallys, but any shampoo meant to counter yellow in gray hair will work, because it will be blue also to counter the orange. Color can't lift color, only bleach can, even if you bought another color, it wouldn't work, so good for you for avoiding that temptation. Worst case, have someone fix it for you, but definitely try the shampoo first. I have seen it work on some pretty bad cases of brassy hair.

9. ^ I can't wait to go home and wash my hair now! Off to Sally's I will go. :nuts:

10. Exactly what I was going to say. If you're willing to shell out the money, salons do corrective coloring (although you would probably want to go to someone new since you didn't like the way your hair was being professionally colored in the first place).

I know Clairol has that root touch up stuff that dyes only the roots, so maybe you might want to try picking a shade from that line?

Good luck!

11. I would honestly go to the salon to get it fixed. At least you know when you leave the salon it will be even and the color you asked for.

12. I bought blue shampoo after work. I cannot wait to try it out tonight! I will let you know how it goes. :tup:

13. I would go and have someone fix it at a salon. I did the same thing to myself a few years back. I am also a light brown naturally, tried to lighten it myself and came back orangeish. I hate to tell you, but I don't think the blue shampoo will do much for you. It is not going to change the overall tone of your hair- which sounds like what you want. Blonde seems like it would be easy to do (hey.. its just lightener after all right? Or so I thought), but it is not.

14. Well, I washed with blue shampoo, but I still have brassy hair. :sad: I am sure it will take more than one washing to see a difference though, so I won't give up just yet.