Help with asian hair treatment combinations! What to do?!

1. I was going through another thread about asian perms, and it drove me to write this one. Warning: It's going to be LONGGG.

I has untreated, black asian hair that is fairly straight with some slight waves. I started pondering about treating my hair, whether that includes hair coloring, highlighting, straight perm, or digital perms (wavy and curly). I was getting too confused with the different perms that everyone was discussing about, and which people compliments opposed to the complaints.

I did, however, come to the conclusion that perm and coloring and highlights is a big no-no. I am considering the following options and have some questions after that. It's going to be long, so I appreciate all the help I can get. Soundjade did a great job informing me on a few things, so I'd also like to thank her! :heart:

Treatment Options:
    a) hair color and digital perm 6 weeks apart (should I have some leave in conditioner before/ after the perm?)
    b) hair color and straight perm 6 weeks apart (should I have some leave in conditioner before/ after the perm?)
    c) hair color, highlights 2 weeks later, then straight perm 4 weeks after that
    d) just hair color, or just highlights
    e) just digital perm, or just straight perm

Now for the Questions:
    - Is a digital perm hard to maintain? How long does it usually last? I'm an air-dry, comb and go kind of girl. If I'm to add a serum and scrunch it before I air dry, I think I can manage. But blowdryers and not my friends. Did anyone do this and it damaged their hair? Is it friendly to those with colored hair?

- Are there different variations of straight perms? What are some of their names? Are there any that does not consist of chemicals? Are they really that damaging to the hair? Are the friendly to those with colored hair? Do you really need someone experienced for this?

- I've been thinking about hair color for a long time, but I grew to love my black asian hair again. I am curious as how things will turn out. Should I make the move?

- If I was to choose only one, which should it be? Would hair color look better, or can I manage with just highlights (I've never heard of asians doing this w/o a base color).

- Would the leave-in conditioner best be done before the treatment, or after?

-All this is going to be free, so I think I'm just excited and rushing into this. Maybe I should just try out the leave-in conditioner and see how that goes? :shrugs:

I apologize for this tedious-ness. It's just I really don't know where to begin. Maybe I'll chicken out again and just go for leave-in conditioner... I'm so brave :upsidedown: Thank you in advance for everyone's input!

2. I am unable to help on all your questions but here are some.

- Is a digital perm hard to maintain? How long does it usually last? I'm an air-dry, comb and go kind of girl. If I'm to add a serum and scrunch it before I air dry, I think I can manage. But blowdryers and not my friends. Did anyone do this and it damaged their hair? Is it friendly to those with colored hair?

Digital perms are not hard to maintain. In fact they are easier than cosmic/set(the japanese variations) perms. All you need to do is wash & add a little bit of styling & you are ready to go! All chemical treatment damage hair to some extent. So go to a trusted stylist who knows his job & can load up the treatments but not overload them. I have long permed hair halfway down my back. Apart from dry ends to the longest strands, they do not even split. My hair could take perm, colour all in one go & that's what I did the last few times I perm. I also wait 10months in between a perm.

- Are there different variations of straight perms? What are some of their names? Are there any that does not consist of chemicals? Are they really that damaging to the hair? Are the friendly to those with colored hair? Do you really need someone experienced for this?

In Asia we call them rebonding, soft straight etc. Latter is supposedly less strick straight & less flat. These all use harsh chemicals. When I did my rebonding years ago, ends tend to split. I need good conditioner to maintain. Over the years technology has improved. My last rebonding before a perm was all good, no split ends. You need a good stylist, otherwise you might end up with kinks near your roots.

- I've been thinking about hair color for a long time, but I grew to love my black asian hair again. I am curious as how things will turn out. Should I make the move?

This is a personal preference. But permed hair do look nice not black IMO.

- If I was to choose only one, which should it be? Would hair color look better, or can I manage with just highlights (I've never heard of asians doing this w/o a base color).

Hmm I think highlights without base colour is common where I am. Hair colour is very popular here. From browns to reds to dark blues to an entire rainbow of colours.

- Would the leave-in conditioner best be done before the treatment, or after?

To do any chemical treatment I think it is best to do on clean hair. The practice here, stylist wash our hair before they do anything.

:flowers:

3. I appreciate your thoughts and certainly for reading the whole thing, pink boudoir! Thank you! :tender:

I think I'm leaning towards the loose curls now, but the straight hair still looks so chic and sophisticated. Is it possible to straighten the curls for a day with a flat iron?

I also think coloring after perming is better for my hair. I keep thinking the perm is going to "sizzle" my colored hair if I were to perm is after the hair color. Is that my inexperienced mind thinking?? :thinking: