help toy poodle,bichon,maltese

1. picked the 3 dogs for allergies and look can someone tell me what dog is best as for personality i am looking for a dog that is sweet and ok with strangers so maltese or toy poodle or bichon the only problem i see with a bichon is its a bit big i wanted to kind of stay under 10 pounds but im not sure so help what dog has the best personality out of the 3

2. I know someone with a Maltese, and he has the sweetest disposition! Another friend of mine has a Maltipoo (Maltese and Poodle mix) with a similar personality. I have no experience with the other breeds, and I own a Pomeranian, and he's a sweetie too! My best experiences with dogs are always with male ones, and all the aforementioned dogs are males.

3. I have Bichons and I love them to bits :flowers: they're playful and fun, but also a bit stubborn with HUGE personalities (I've had two; one was a "good girl" who did as she was told (if what I told her made sense, that is. she used to roam free on the (big) property, and if I called her to come inside when she hadn't done her business yet, she'd simply ignore me and come inside as soon as she'd finished. haha! :heart:) I had her for 10 years until I lost her (broke my heart) and now I have another Bichon who is the total opposite! she LOVES doing everything I tell her she's not supposed to (just to get me to chase her, if I just ignore her she stops :p) she's VERY playful and everyone loves her puppy like antics (she is 2 1/2 :p) She sleeps in my bed with me, and practically every morning (read: afternoon) I wake up by her snuggling up against my face and kissing me. I love both my little Bichon girls so so very much :flowers:

4. I know it's not on your list, but I'd also suggest Coton de Tulear to look into. They have the physical characteristics of a bichon/maltese(cotton-like coat, not super curly or too straight and no shedding), medium nose, it's considered a rare breed so less prone to ailments/allergies and have great, enthusiastic, but mellow dispositions. Their standard weight is 8-12 pounds. Just thought I'd throw them in there since, they're in the same family as what your looking for and and wonderful dogs! They're also amazingly athletic (although they don't look it), and can go on runs and some challenging hikes if you like to get out and about.

5. I have a bichon frise and she is very stubborn. She is under 10 pounds, but I know some are bigger. She is very cute but she is also very crazy sometimes. She tends to match my personality, so when I'm chill, so is she.

6. Aw...I love all 3. We used to have a Bichon, we got him when I was 4 years old..he was the runt of the litter and a lot littler than the others; he wasn't able to be shown because he had a lot of birth marks and was too small. Anyway, we fell in love and he was ours...he passed away a couple of years ago though (he had just turned 14) and I still miss him.
    Anyway, he barked a LOT, every time the doorbell would ring, he'd run and bark, sometimes even when the door was open and we were talking to whomever was there. So he was really a one family dog, didn't get along too well with anyone outside of the family.

7. I think it depends on you. It might be worth looking at some of the breed selectors that are online. Animal planet has one and some of the dog food companies do. You can google dog breed selector and come up with a few. That might help you decide. Good luck and congrats on your soon to be new addition.

8. I have a bichon. (his puppy picture is my avatar) He is almost 4 years old now and he is under 15lbs. He is a wonderful dog! He is so dang cute it is impossible to ever get mad at him! He is loving and fun!

9. I know someone with a bichon and a maltese both are very sweet dogs. Out of the two her maltese barks more. Both are under 11 or so pounds.

10. i've noticed that there are a lot of maltese and bichon lovers on tPF but not many PF'ers are rooting for poodles! :p

I have a toy poodle and i LOVE him! I fell in love with the breed after meeting one at a dog show 3 years ago. I waited and searched for a good breeder after researching the breed and making sure it was suitable for my lifestyle.

All three breeds you picked are pretty high-maintenance and require a lot of grooming. My poodle goes out for a bath about once a month and is bathed at home once in between visits to the groomer.

Now onto the breed: Dookie will bark and growl while wagging his tail at strangers but if once you give him the OK he will run up to them and cover them with kisses. He's very affectionate and is a very good WATCH dog. NOT GUARD dog but WATCH dog. As in, he will alert you to strangers but will not try to attack. He is very sweet tempered and has not had any major illnesses *knock on wood*. He is very smart: he learned to respond to his name the first day I got him! He also learned all his tricks within a month. He was potty trained within 2 weeks. I could go on and on about the good qualities of a poodle. After owning one, you will understand why people get so crazy over them. They have a lot of genetic problems due to over breeding (they were VERY popular awhile back) so search carefully for a breeder that screens dogs before breeding.

Also, the great thing is you don't have to stick to the 'poodle' cut anymore because it's cool to experiment with different looks. Currently, Dookie looks like an apricot bichon :graucho:

Please PM if you want anymore information about the breed. Bichons and maltese are great breeds too so please look into them as well. I considered getting bichon or maltese because I cannot stand shedding (I had a husky before) so I know what you're going thru. Good luck!

11. i've noticed that there are a lot of maltese and bichon lovers on tPF but not many PF'ers are rooting for poodles! :p

I have a toy poodle and i LOVE him! I fell in love with the breed after meeting one at a dog show 3 years ago. I waited and searched for a good breeder after researching the breed and making sure it was suitable for my lifestyle.

All three breeds you picked are pretty high-maintenance and require a lot of grooming. My poodle goes out for a bath about once a month and is bathed at home once in between visits to the groomer.

Now onto the breed: Dookie will bark and growl while wagging his tail at strangers but if once you give him the OK he will run up to them and cover them with kisses. He's very affectionate and is a very good WATCH dog. NOT GUARD dog but WATCH dog. As in, he will alert you to strangers but will not try to attack. He is very sweet tempered and has not had any major illnesses *knock on wood*. He is very smart: he learned to respond to his name the first day I got him! He also learned all his tricks within a month. He was potty trained within 2 weeks. I could go on and on about the good qualities of a poodle. After owning one, you will understand why people get so crazy over them. They have a lot of genetic problems due to over breeding (they were VERY popular awhile back) so search carefully for a breeder that screens dogs before breeding.

Also, the great thing is you don't have to stick to the 'poodle' cut anymore because it's cool to experiment with different looks. Currently, Dookie looks like an apricot bichon :graucho:

Please PM if you want anymore information about the breed. Bichons and maltese are great breeds too so please look into them as well. I considered getting bichon or maltese because I cannot stand shedding (I had a husky before) so I know what you're going thru. Good luck!

12. Oops, forgot to include that Dookie's only 5.5lbs. He's big enough so that I'm not scared to squeeze him (hehe) but light enough so that he can rest comfortably in my lap as I scour the net for hours on end.

I love the look of Coton de Tulears too but they are so hard to find in Hong Kong!

13. ^^ here's another vote for a bichon puppy!!! :wlae:...i've had mine for 15 years now & he's one of the greatest loves of my life :love:...mine was usually around 14 pounds most of his life, but is down to about 10-11 now that he's older...they're fun, cuddly, loveable, smart, spunky, playful & don't affect my allergies at all...i've got asthma & it's the only breed i've found so far, that i'm not allergic to :tup:

n703896302_619220_401.jpg
  14. ^ aww, lol :flowers:

15. ^^ hee-hee, that's him in his mickey-mouse outfit :p...my DH finally let me put it on him for halloween...i bought it to be used as clothes, but he insists it's a costume...men, what do they know about dressing dogs (lol!!!) :lol: