Help! Proenza won't fix my bag because i bought it at HG Bags

I am going to write a letter. Does anyone know which other premium designers are known to repair their bags without proof of purchase?

Marc Jacobs is another. I bought a Venetia bag second hand and it was missing it's clasp and they not only repaired it with no issue they included a brand new dustbag and free return shipping.

Bottom line...it really should not matter where the bag was purchased as long as it is authentic. As others have stated, what if it was a gift or purchased second hand as many bags are these days. They are not standing behind their product! I for one will not be purchasing another PS product solely b/c of the way they have treated you and this ridiculous 'policy' of theirs!

I am curious though, are they willing to fix the bag if you pay out of your pocket for it regardless of proof of purchase?

While I agree with all of you, I feel compelled to add this: I have purchased three PS Keep-Alls from HGbagsonline. One I returned after finding a nearly invisible defect in the leather where it was so paper thin, it was in clear and present danger of breaking through. Erica happily exchanged it, though I paid return shipping. Turned out that the exchanged item had a blob of Edge Kote on the inside handle; I kept it because it was cosmetic and fairly well-hidden. (And the whole return thing is so exhausting.)

Meanwhile, I had been enjoying my one (of three) Keep-Alls from HGBagsonline that was free of defects... Until about a week ago, when I laid it out flat to pack for a trip... And there it was. The defect where a "tuck" was sewn into the side of the front pocket. That was it... No more bags from HG.

Here's what I find myself having to consider: Are these discounted bags, in fact, seconds? Would that explain why PS will not cover bags we purchase from Erica under their standard repair policies?

I too think Erica is great. But--even knowing that I'm picky about my bags--three out of three makes for a strike-out. Thoughts?

^ I have two SKAs and a Bal city from Erica and all 3 were perfect. I went through every inch of them. But I've received a PS11 clutch from PS that was less than perfect.

I think it might be PS issues and not Erica.

While I agree with all of you, I feel compelled to add this: I have purchased three PS Keep-Alls from HGbagsonline. One I returned after finding a nearly invisible defect in the leather where it was so paper thin, it was in clear and present danger of breaking through. Erica happily exchanged it, though I paid return shipping. Turned out that the exchanged item had a blob of Edge Kote on the inside handle; I kept it because it was cosmetic and fairly well-hidden. (And the whole return thing is so exhausting.)

Meanwhile, I had been enjoying my one (of three) Keep-Alls from HGBagsonline that was free of defects... Until about a week ago, when I laid it out flat to pack for a trip... And there it was. The defect where a "tuck" was sewn into the side of the front pocket. That was it... No more bags from HG.

Here's what I find myself having to consider: Are these discounted bags, in fact, seconds? Would that explain why PS will not cover bags we purchase from Erica under their standard repair policies?

I too think Erica is great. But--even knowing that I'm picky about my bags--three out of three makes for a strike-out. Thoughts?

It is NOT our bags - it is MERELY poor quality from PS1 and they are really shooting themselves in the foot by not standing behind their products. There is no such thing as a "second" when it comes to our orders. We order the collections months before they are released along with all the boutiques when collections are announced and receive our items when they start to release to stores - these are not factory overruns or "outlet" bags - they are the exact things as you would see on the store shelf . We only buy first quality merchandise. PS will NOT cover any bag not purchased by them, whether it's ebay, Bonanzle or any other website. It's not just ******...I'm sure though, that because HG is one of the biggest resellers, they definitely don't want to help out our buyers as we are selling below retail and LEGALLY. Would be happy Donna to help you with any issues on any purchases of yours :smile:

Last edited:

My thoughts immediately go to poor quality on PS side...unfortunately I think you were the lucky recipient of three defective bags, like the many others we are hearing about and I am sure this it just the tip of the iceberg! It's obvious that PS has some serious quality control issues to address amongst their growing pains as a new and upcoming design house. I think they have just exploded as far as sales and unfortunately corners are being cut to keep up with demand and in turn these are the downfalls.

^ I have two SKAs and a Bal city from Erica and all 3 were perfect. I went through every inch of them. But I've received a PS11 clutch from PS that was less than perfect.

I think it might be PS issues and not Erica.
:yes: I think you are dead on! Looks at all the issues we are seeing here on the Forum with members' bags...and this is only a very small portion of PS's buying demographic!

Erica - you are the best. Thank you for adding this perspective. I would give you a high five if I could!!!! Keep doing what you're doing. You're a gem!

Thank u so much!! This has all been very upsetting for me as a reseller too, to sell a product that has had so many manufacturer's defects is just a nightmare all around for us and our clients most of all. Plus, all these changes and nuances with hws and thicknesses of colors has made it difficult to resell and explain to buyers who are already skeptical of online sellers, which is rightfully so with so many scamming sites out there. Will just keep doing our best to offer the best bags at the best prices! We were lucky enough to also acquire some extra PS studs to aide in the repair process for loose/missing studs.

I just want to add I bought a PS1 in Bright Red at Barney's and came home to realize the logo tag was chipped and the glaze around the bottom edge looked like it would peel off soon. It did not look pristine. I returned it to Barney's and bought it instead from HG bags. Erica got me a pristine bag in excellent condition. I haven't had any problems with it and it looks great. I am however mad that PS isn't standing by their bags, yet fashion journalists have yet to call them out on this. I mean, most of the fashion editors have PS bags so I'm sure at least one if not many have has issues.

I have to say for the price, I like my one bag now. I would rather go for fun cheaper brands like Rebecca Minkoff next time to be my trendy colorful bag and let the bag fall apart. I'd also rafher pay top dollar for Chloe, YSL, LV, Prada, Chanel. They stand behind their products.

I just want to add I bought a PS1 in Bright Red at Barney's and came home to realize the logo tag was chipped and the glaze around the bottom edge looked like it would peel off soon. It did not look pristine. I returned it to Barney's and bought it instead from HG bags. Erica got me a pristine bag in excellent condition. I haven't had any problems with it and it looks great. I am however mad that PS isn't standing by their bags, yet fashion journalists have yet to call them out on this. I mean, most of the fashion editors have PS bags so I'm sure at least one if not many have has issues.

I have to say for the price, I like my one bag now. I would rather go for fun cheaper brands like Rebecca Minkoff next time to be my trendy colorful bag and let the bag fall apart. I'd also rafher pay top dollar for Chloe, YSL, LV, Prada, Chanel. They stand behind their products.
So true!! Anyone who frequents other sub forums as well as this one knows that other similar brands just DON'T have these QC issues. I can't remember seeing even one thread in YSL or Celine regarding a QC issue. And as for Rebecca Minkoff, she's had QC issues in the past (much better now!!!), but she even took bags back as a contemporary designer. And she never needed receipts b/c she's well aware that Minkettes routinely buy/sell or even trade their bags to each other!!

This is especially puzzling because I don't think it takes that much time or energy for PS to fix these types of problems (loose screws, etc). I mean, no one here is asking for a brand new bag or anything of the sort. Is it worth it to them to lose valuable customers over not fixing a broken clasp? Not very good business sense....

I know I'll be in the minority here, and hope I don't inspire any wrath from unhappy buyers, but my experience with PS customer service has been outstanding. I did purchase from them directly and was able to provide them with an order number. They have been really wonderful to me, maintaining communication throughout the whole process of me shipping my bag out and them sending it back. I just received a lovely email letting me know my Birch PS1 is being shipped back out to me today with a tracking number. I'm not writing this to inspire any kind of debate, only to share my experience. I'm truly sorry for all those who haven't been able to enjoy the same kind of service they have provided for me. I can't imagine their policies aren't in place for legitimate reasons, but appreciate how frustrating it must be for those whose bags were purchased elsewhere.

I know I'll be in the minority here, and hope I don't inspire any wrath from unhappy buyers, but my experience with PS customer service has been outstanding. I did purchase from them directly and was able to provide them with an order number. They have been really wonderful to me, maintaining communication throughout the whole process of me shipping my bag out and them sending it back. I just received a lovely email letting me know my Birch PS1 is being shipped back out to me today with a tracking number. I'm not writing this to inspire any kind of debate, only to share my experience. I'm truly sorry for all those who haven't been able to enjoy the same kind of service they have provided for me. I can't imagine their policies aren't in place for legitimate reasons, but appreciate how frustrating it must be for those whose bags were purchased elsewhere.

To add to this, they do stand behind their bags if they are purchased by an authorized retailer. For a brand the size of PS, it seems perfectly reasonable that they can only manage repairs with a receipt or order number, especially since there are so many knock offs out there. From what I've read on other threads they do make exceptions on a case by case basis. If there is a quality issue, the retailer should facilitate a repair and it will be their judgement, not PS's. Most people pay by credit card for such a large purchase, so it would be easy to find proof of purchase if you lost a receipt or were given it as a gift. One has to admit that there is some risk when purchasing from a reseller, even one as well managed as ******!

To add to this, they do stand behind their bags if they are purchased by an authorized retailer. For a brand the size of PS, it seems perfectly reasonable that they can only manage repairs with a receipt or order number, especially since there are so many knock offs out there. From what I've read on other threads they do make exceptions on a case by case basis. If there is a quality issue, the retailer should facilitate a repair and it will be their judgement, not PS's. Most people pay by credit card for such a large purchase, so it would be easy to find proof of purchase if you lost a receipt or were given it as a gift. One has to admit that there is some risk when purchasing from a reseller, even one as well managed as ******!
I have to agree. I just received my repaired ps1 back from ps - nomproblems at all. I bought it at Barney's and when I spend this kind of money on a bag, I'm going to make sure it is from an authorized retailor.

Seriously, for spending over $1500 on a bag, I don't think I should expect "repair" is normal !

I think the whole focus should be PS's quality control issue.
I notices from many posts that it is NOT a single case that we find problems with their PS1....regardless the bags were being purchased from authored dealers or not. If the bags are authentic, PS should "repair" or provide solution (like sending parts) without hesitation. They can choose to charge for the repair/ parts if there is no proof of warranty. They shouldn't simply close the door.

Not all PS1 owners are residing in United states and can send the bag to them for repair easily even they accept to repair.
I reside in Canada/ Hong Kong and it will be a nightmare for me if I have to send the bag back to PS in New York for repair....

I think we all want simply a first-class craftmanship bag...not a bag which is always at verge of repair call

Last edited: