Help please..suggestions if possible

1. hey Guys

So i started the gym and eating well (Low GI) after the SA asked me if I was pregnant (when im not) I have been at it for about 2 weeks. I do about 3 classes a week ranging from body combat to body attack and do 2 days weights and 1 day walking for about an hour. Ive kept to my low GI diet but i havent lost any weight!!! am i being impatient?? If i dont see results soon, im going to lose motivation.

Also, I find after 10 minutes of exercise, the arch in my feet start to hurt and my toes go numb. Ive changed shoes and got an insole 2 days ago but now its become worse..any ideas?

2. Just because you arent losing weight doesnt mean you arent losing inches!! I think the rule of thumb, especially for woman is to stay off the scale. Atleast only weigh yourself once or twice a month.
    If you are gaining muscle, then you deff. will not be losing weight as fast as you'd like. But as I mentioned, that doesnt mean you arent losing inches.
    I would measure yourself, every 2 months measure again and see what progress you have made. It will happen, just be patient and good luck! I know you can do it!! ::hugs::
  3. I havent lost any inches...:shrugs:
  4. What's your caloric intake like? What was it prior to your diet change? How long are these classes you're taking? Instead of walking can you hop on an elliptical and work your way up to 30 minutes of ~180-200 strides per minute?
  5. Belini -- Hang in there!!!

I have the same problem when I start on a new diet exercise plan. I find I really have to comit for a month or two to see results. If you are short, or not that heavy in lbs to begin with, your small losses may not show up on the scale. Also you may be drinking more water so your body is more hydrated which is great but may increase your weight a pound or two. And it can depend where you are in your monthly cycle, bloating can offset fat loss.

Others have given good advice to revamp your exercise scheudule or diet if you still don't see results, but the most important thing is to stick with it.

On the shoe issue you may need higher quality shoes with more support or alternate with some things like biking or swimming that don't put a lot of pressure on your feet.
  6. I thought I was eating well also, but when i started WW, I found out I was taking in a lot more than I thought. I suggest the same tried and true suggestions:
    Keep a food diary and really count the calories, etc.

About the shoe issue: you may be using the wrong types of shoes for your exercise plan, whether it be running, walking, aerobics, etc.

Go to a specialty running store if you are looking for running shoes (I don't mean Foot Locker or Finish Line), I mean a smaller-running specialty store for good sound advice. They usually know what they are talking about.

Good luck. And please look at this as a lifelong commitment, not just a short-term goal. ;)
  7. Think about it this way: it didn't take you 2 weeks to put the weight on, so it's going to take more than 2 weeks to get it off. Give yourself at least 6-8 weeks to see *any* results. Don't get frustrated, just keep plugging away. :smile:

Diet plays such an important role, so even if you are exercising, you still need to keep an eye on diet so all your hard work doesn't go to waste. :smile:
  8. I am in the same boat as you. I started really getting into the routine of exercising. I have been going 4-5 times a week for about 2 weeks now. Also I have been watching my diet and eating the best foods possible. The first week I noticed I did loose some weight but now I am kind of stuck where I am at. I think that first week I just lost some of the bloatyness from eating crap the weeks before and from my menstrual cycle that just ended. Yesterday I was feeling a little down and about to lose motivation but I know if I just keep it up I will see results. Also like coachwife6 said I am looking at this as a lifelong commitment and not just a short-term goal. I just want to feel healthy and active. I have been actually looking forward to the gym because it has been a nice place to let off any stress that builds up throughout the day. Keep up the good work and don’t give up on yourself! You can do it!
  9. keep up the good work! I know it is frustrating at first but stick with it. Also, try not to think so much about the weight but how you feel. I would bet that you have more energy and feel at least a little better about yourself now that you started exercising and eating better. If you can get hooked on that feeling then imo it's much easier to stick with the program for the long haul. If you just focus on the weight I think you are more likely to fall back into old habits when you are not seeing the results you would like. It really is a life long commitment.

As for the foot pain if better or more appropriate sneakers don't do the trick, I highly recommend going to see a podiatrist as you may need orthotics. I had the same thing many years ago and would not be able to run without them. I have some seriously flat feet and have even needed to upgrade to more substantial orthotics over the years. They have really been a life saver.
  10. Im on about 1500 calories a day or 45g carb for breakfast and lunch and 10g carbs for dinner - This is what the nutritionist has advised. The classes range from 45mins-1hour.

In terms of my feet- i went to see a podiatrist and she said i have Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome or excessively flat feet which are causing the nerves to be restricted. Besides getting more padding in my shoes she told me to STOP ANY FORMS OF AEROBIC EXERCISE OR RUNNING!!!!!!!!! My gosh - how am i going to lose weight now without walking/running or any of my classes!?? Thats the whole reason I joined a new gym...because of the classes.
  11. As others have said, sometimes not having the best or right shoe can cause a problem with aching feet.

In my own experience, though, besides needing good (great) shoes, time and consistent exercise will correct your sore arches.

I have been exercising all of my life. But when I started ballet classes a few years ago, OMG, my arches were killing me. So much so that I thought they would break in half. After a few months the muscles got stronger and the problem was resolved. A few months ago after years of ballet I added Jazz dance to my schedule. Same thing! Burning, painful arches. It took about two months of Jazz class before the pain subsided. My feet were being used in a way they weren't used to.

I think our foot muscles and bones aren't used to doing new things and it takes a while for them to adjust. Don't give up! Eventually they find a way to accept the new exercise.

Another suggestion I have is to roll your arches over a tennis ball as much as you can. This provides relief to your arches as well as helping to improve their flexibility.
  12. Leelee - Sorry to appear dumb but the podiatrist i have no arch?? Do you have flat feet too? She said if i continue to do high impact exercise even after getting the right shoes, i will damage my nerves.
  13. Actually, yes, I do have flat feet. I have been told that I don't have much of an arch.

I haven't been warned about damaging my nerves, though and I've been dancing for years. I also used to be a runner and once I even ran the Marine Corps. Marathon.

I'm sorry about your pain. And now the worry about harming your nerves is another concern. I hope you are able to find some relief so that you can exercise. Nothing in the world makes me feel better.

Good luck to you!
  14. Did the podiatrist recommend orthotics? Truly they made the world of difference for me. I was initially diagnosed with tarsal tunnel/flat feet as well but was never told I could not do running or high impact exercise. In the meantime, can you try swimming? Or spinning/cycling classes? These are no to minimal impact.

I am actually a runner and have been able to run 3 marathons with the help of orthotics. Unfortunately for me, my initial orthotics probably weren't quite enough for the level of activity I wound up doing (50+ miles/week at times) and I eventually strained tendon in my foot and was sidelined for almost a year... good think I didn't know about tpf then or I probably would have wound up $20K in debt with a ton of bags and no DH!! The only thing I could do at first was swim which I found soo boring but at least it was something.

Anyway, after going to see a few more docs that were more familiar with athletes, I found the best podiatrist who made me new more substantial othotics. I'm definitely an extreme case but my point is you should be able to do the exercise you want to do. I have been back running for over a year now and I'm traing for a half marathon in October and thinking about a spring marathon too
  15. Like the others have said you have to stick to it!
    I think it can help to know that you are helping out your heart and your other internal organs as well as that brain of yours. The benefits of a healthy workout regime far outweigh the ability to fit into a smaller size...but it will eventually happen.
    Just find an activity you enjoy and consider it a lifelong commitment. Good luck to you and know that any movement you make is better than sitting on a couch. It just takes a little time...