Help, NEWBIE!!!Birkin on hold

This is my first post here, though I have been lurking for days. I just had to jump on and say that this is probably the most wonderful group of people I have 'seen' online in a very long time! You are such supportive and knowledgable folks!!!

I too am a newbie and made the big phone call yesterday to get on the list for a kelly... i know i want a black box leather 32 cm with silver pall and frankly, am scared that I'll talk myself into something else because it's easier to get....

birkingal said:
Star, I tried justifying that damn heavy Kelly each time I wore it out (muttering expletives as I do so) and not trying to admit I was wrong (God forbid!) to my husband because I'm never wrong (hehehe....)

Good lord, after being on this forum for one day, I'm planning for my next Hermes. I'm supposedly on purse ban for the next 2 years. But I hear togo or clemence Birkin calling my name.
LOLOL!!!

Star, wait for Togo. In a 30cm, it will be MUCH cheaper and it's what you want. :smile:

Are you planning on using the Birkin as an everyday bag? I have a Birkin in clemence and a Kelly and Paris-Bombay in vache liegee. I love the vache liegee, but I find it a little tough to use as a bag to take to work because it doesn't fit as much stuff, due to the stiffness. In addition, I agree that it doesn't sound like you'd be happy with the vache liegee, so you're right to wait for togo. I also bought a bag just because it was available, and it was an expensive mistake, which I will never make again. Also, I did buy a clemence Birkin, when I originally wanted togo, but I decided it was close enough, and I don't regret my change of mind at all. Don't let all the "rare Birkin" hype get to you. It's priced so high that most of us can't get every single one we think is "passable", so do be careful in your purchasing. Good luck!

I turned down 2 birkins in vache liegee,because of the leather,( stiff and hard not much sheen )I already have a kelly in vache liegee. I like it But I want to wait and see how this leather ages a bit.I would go and check it out again.And compare with the togo . Way too much money to spend and not be happy. Good luck.

Wait for what you want. I got offered a birkin in the color, size and hardware I wanted, but not the leather -- same as you. I declined and a few weeks later, got my dream bag.

Welcome Star to the...daarrrkkk side! It's nice to finally see you here! You have a FANTASTIC collection of handbags, BTW....just wanted to mention that right away!

I'm glad to hear that you are going to WAIT for the perfect Birkin. You will know it when you see it and that's for SURE! Never settle because these bags are too difficult to get and very, very expensive.....you should have EXACTLY what you want and nothing less when you spend this kind of money.

Togo is heavy, yes but if you want the slouch then Togo or Clemence is the leather to look at. Vache Liegee is lovely but stiffer and will hold it's shape more. Also the size is very, very important. I'm 5'3" and a 30cm is the PERFECT size for a Birkin for me....anything bigger looks too much like luggage! So don't cave on the size either...

anyway...follow your heart and your initial instinct, Star and you will find your perfect bag!!!!

Jenifer927 said:
I too am a newbie and made the big phone call yesterday to get on the list for a kelly... i know i want a black box leather 32 cm with silver pall and frankly, am scared that I'll talk myself into something else because it's easier to get....

Welcome Jennifer!! WAIT for your dream bag - it's SOOOOOO worth it, and at these prices, you want to get something that, as our Shopmom says, "makes your heart skip a beat" - :yes: :yes: :yes:

Star - everyone else has already given you the same advice, but I have to add to it: wait.

There is a huge difference between the Vache Liegee and the Togo - not only in slouch and appearance but also color. The Gold in the Liegee is a completely different color than the Gold in Togo. Neither one is necessarily better, but wow - they are two such completely different bags.

And from experience I can tell you that if you settle for the Vache Liegee, you will still want the one in Togo! And in the long run, you'll probably end up buying it too when it comes along and regretting the first one. If you originally fell for a 30 Birkin in Gold Togo, this will not satisfy you - if you were just waiting to see what you might fall in love with, that's a different story, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

style101 said:
Star - - if you were just waiting to see what you might fall in love with, that's a different story, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Star....Style makes a huge point here. There are two different types of Hermes purchasing....one is where you KNOW what you want to the last detail and special order it or wait until one pops up (which does happen) and the other is the "arrow through the heart", "can't live without it", "OMG I HAVE to HAVE that bag and I don't care what I have to do to have it including selling my soul to the Devil and those of my children!" purchase. I am the later....I just have to see it and fall in love and that's that! THIS is dangerous because you can wind up with a whole lotta bags that you LOVE and your checkbook will be perpetually EMPTY! :wtf:

Anyway, you sound like you know what you want and if that's the case then you really need to stay focused....very, very hard to do with Hermes. I congratulate everyone who is able to do it....I'm a basket case with staying focused....I need my friends on this forum to help me! So....from experience I advise that you maintain your course and wait for the right bag to arrive. I promise you that it will!