HELP!! My mom wants me to SELL MY KELLY or she'll kick me out!!! :(:(:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you buy the bag with your own money and not credit or money from your mom?

I'm 22 and my mom is super annoyed at my expensive bags but I don't live at home and I pay off everything on my own. The only time I'll take money from my mom is if she asks me to buy something for her, she is having me buy something for my brother, or a school expense that is her decision not mine (Eg, grad school. I wanted a year off but she wants me to go ASAP so she is paying for the apps and fees).

I know if it came down to it, I would sell my bags, it looks pathetic to have a lovely bag but be homeless, it's not classy at all!

I don't think it was your BF's business to mention it to your mom (Did he know about her threat?) Also, I don't think it's a good idea to become dependent on him for housing.

I suggest sitting down with you mom and explaining why you would spend the amount you did (hard to find, craftmanship, quality of leather, lasts for a long time, etc...) and maybe reaching a middle ground. Something like "I swear I won't buy anything over $200 for the rest of the year" or "I'll sell off everything else for this bag."

I bought it w/ my own money....I sold a few of my bags to get it, too! My mom knows that....

Let me get my "big sister" cap on!

Got it!

Sit down with your Mom (just the two of you!) and ask her to calmly explain her reasons for wanting you to get rid of your bag. Let her get the rant off her chest without any comments! She's got to say that your irresponsible and whatnot (she isn't a Mom otherwise!). I'm sure she's coming from a place of concern. She wants you to save your money for the future and she's worried that your expensive taste will cause you financial harm.

You can let her know what your long-term goals are, and how you were thinking of achieving them. Also, let her know that although you do go out and pick up a few bags here and there...you DON'T spend this kind of money EVERY day! Now, if her point is that if you can blow money on bags, you can pay household expenses, you can indicate a willingness to do so...NOT by selling the bag! Set an amount to be paid at the same time each month to help your family out.

The point I'm trying to make is that right now, your Mom is treating you like a child...a child she feels has made a huge mistake. If you can talk to her in a calm, rational way...explaining your decision making process...you can show her that you are on your way to becoming a strong, smart, independent young woman! One with awesome taste! What more could a Mom ask for?

Oh, and tell you BF that if he gets to buy whatever guy thing he craves he can shut his pie-hole on what you buy! And tell him if he EVER talks behind your back to ANYONE about your $$ or your spending habits...he's taking you to Tiffany's and buying you something VERY costly as punishment. THAT will shut him up.

Good luck!

:sad: it's hopeless......she's like "well if you get one once you graduate college I won't be mad...just sell the Kelly and buy a bag around $1,000"

ALRIGHT THEN, I'M GETTIN A BIRKIN AFTER COLLEGE!! LOL

I'm sad....I guess a lucky PFer is going to get her :'(

I do understand where she's coming from....but I was SO excited when I got my Kelly, now i'm so depressed...:sad:

Oh well....I'll just sell her and save the money for my Hermes fund after college. :Push:....2 more years.....:crybaby:

The reality is that a Kelly is a MEGA expensive bag, lol! I'm a college student, and I'm 22 years old, and there is NO WAY IN FREAKING HELL I will EVER let my parents know about the price of my future Bolide or they would crap their pants and probably wack me upside the head. They just do not spend $$$ money on luxury items, even though they have it to spend; they buy antiques and jewelry, and nowhere within their reasoning sits a $6,000 bag :biggrin:

It really sucks that your AHEM ARTARD/******** AHEM boyfriend decided to tell your mom. And it sucks that your mom didn't take it well.

But it's just a bag. And you're 19 years old. And you will definitely, without a doubt, find a bag you probably love even more later on. A bag is just not worth your relationship with your mom. Material goods do not come over family, no matter how delicious the smell of the leather and how hot it looks with what you're wearing.

Sell it, buy yourself something fun in ***secret*** that isn't quite so expensive, and I highly recommend finding a very sweet, pale, intelligent nerdy boy (the best kind on earth), as they tend to be very accepting of your every crazy whim and have no issue with assisting you in your purchasing dreams :P Though no one seems to ever understand this...lol! My sweet nerdy boy knows all things that make me happy come in an Orange box :biggrin:

At any rate, you can be the most mature lady on earth and your mother still won't like you owning such a pricey bag, at least for now. Hell she may never like it. And I know there are ways to deal with this in such a manner that you might be able to weasel your way into keeping the bag. But in my humble lil opinion, making a purchase like this should be one made in not only good conscious, but one made without trouble or freaking out mothers attached to it.

If you can't enjoy it to it's fullest, without people rarrrring at your neck over it, it just plain isn't as much fun.

Think about it this way: if you get the $4,000 back, and save it, in a year or two you'll probably have enough for a brand spanking new color-of-your-choice Kelly, a Birkin, or hell maybe even TWO used bags!!! And once you're out of your mom's house, you can buy a GREAT bag in good conscious, without someone waiting to ruin your happiness by trying to make you return it.

I hope everything works out for you ^_^

If your mother really needs help paying the bills, and I assume you live at home with her, then you really should consider selling the bag. How did you manage to find the money to buy it in the first place. If you have a good job, you should be paying her something to keep the household going. I do think you are a bit young for this bag. What are you going for when you are 25?

DANG! I'm sorry she didn't 'get' it! So, Dump the bf (THAT'LL learn 'em!) and find the Kelly a good home.

Man! I am bummed for you! Have fun shopping for the new bag!

-I actually pay my mom rent every month,

-I drive a Mercedes-Benz (which I put $4,800 down, got my own loan, and make my own payments),

-AND I'm in college, while working at least 20 hours a week during school. In the summer, I work full time.

-I also pay my credit card at least 4X over the amount due each month.

-I have my priorities straight. I save my money when I need to, so I don't understand why my mom is getting so upset. :shrugs: (She gets upset over everything to begin with...really emotional :P)

Maybe im nosey, but how the heck are you affording all of this with working a mere 20hrs a week?? especially at a young age like 19.
I agree with elongreach and say examine your priorities, study hard, work your ass off, save the money, buy a house, invest and then spend money on a hermes. Take into account most of the ladies who are ABLE to afford hermes in this forum are professionals and have worked there behinds off to get to where they are today. A bag is just a bag, seriously. I use to be like you...spend my money on handbags and have my mom yell at me for being so materlistic, I guess I woke up and realized that there is more to life then a handbag. you dont want to loose the resepect of your mother over this. I say sell it, give your mom some money, afterall you LIVE with her even though you might be paying rent, Its a sign of gratitude..and then once you graduate buy yourself a birkin. (btw im 24)

The reality is that a Kelly is a MEGA expensive bag, lol! I'm a college student, and I'm 22 years old, and there is NO WAY IN FREAKING HELL I will EVER let my parents know about the price of my future Bolide or they would crap their pants and probably wack me upside the head. They just do not spend $$$ money on luxury items, even though they have it to spend; they buy antiques and jewelry, and nowhere within their reasoning sits a $6,000 bag :biggrin:

It really sucks that your AHEM ARTARD/DOUCHEBAG AHEM boyfriend decided to tell your mom. And it sucks that your mom didn't take it well.

But it's just a bag. And you're 19 years old. And you will definitely, without a doubt, find a bag you probably love even more later on. A bag is just not worth your relationship with your mom. Material goods do not come over family, no matter how delicious the smell of the leather and how hot it looks with what you're wearing.

Sell it, buy yourself something fun in ***secret*** that isn't quite so expensive, and I highly recommend finding a very sweet, pale, intelligent nerdy boy (the best kind on earth), as they tend to be very accepting of your every crazy whim and have no issue with assisting you in your purchasing dreams :P Though no one seems to ever understand this...lol! My sweet nerdy boy knows all things that make me happy come in an Orange box :biggrin:

At any rate, you can be the most mature lady on earth and your mother still won't like you owning such a pricey bag, at least for now. Hell she may never like it. And I know there are ways to deal with this in such a manner that you might be able to weasel your way into keeping the bag. But in my humble lil opinion, making a purchase like this should be one made in not only good conscious, but one made without trouble or freaking out mothers attached to it.

If you can't enjoy it to it's fullest, without people rarrrring at your neck over it, it just plain isn't as much fun.

Think about it this way: if you get the $4,000 back, and save it, in a year or two you'll probably have enough for a brand spanking new color-of-your-choice Kelly, a Birkin, or hell maybe even TWO used bags!!! And once you're out of your mom's house, you can buy a GREAT bag in good conscious, without someone waiting to ruin your happiness by trying to make you return it.

I hope everything works out for you ^_^

Thank you so much....I think I'm just going to sell it, buy a cheaper bag for now, and save the rest of the money for my future H bag!

All of you ladies have given great advice, thank you so much!! :heart::love:

Status
Not open for further replies.