HELP! My internship is over, what to get as a "thank you"

1. first let me say i LOVE tpf, you all have been so helpful on all the different boards here! :smile:

now that THAT'S out of the way, this summer I had a wonderful opportunity to intern for a well established insurance company. I worked primarily with three people (my mentor, my mentor's boss, and my mentor's boss's boss...ahahah) and I wanted to give them something as a token of my appreciation.

I don't want to do anything extravagant (hell i'm an intern) or look like I'm trying to hard..

I was thinking maybe a handwritten note (i'm told that adds a 'personal' touch)...but what else?? or is that enough?
  2. Are they male or female? And when do you have to give them the gifts?
  3. I think you should give a small gift in addition to the handwritten note. Here are a few suggestions:
    a small box of chocolates
    gourmet nuts
    gift card to Starbucks or Barnes & Noble
    you could bake cookies or take something into work for them to nibble on... courtesy of YOU!

Best of luck.
  4. All the internships I've had I always left with a nice letter, usually where I work now we get the interns gifts and throw them a little party, not the other way around.

But I think a nice letter would be much appreciated, and if you really want to take it a step further, bring in something yummy for everyone to share for your last day as a thank you to those you worked with.
  5. I like Blue824's idea of yummy food for the whole office and for the three people, maybe a special thank you card which in itself is a gift?

For instance, this card by Tracy Chong:

Thank you pop up card

Elegant and unisex, IMHO.
  6. the baking cookies idea is great. maybe some nice flowers to brighten up the office and some chocolates.
  7. card and cookies/chocolates are a good idea. =)
    'i would stay away from gift cards and any fancy things.

the point is it's a thank you gesture, not a gift gift...
  8. a nice thank-you card and note is sufficient. my son is finishing his internship this summer too and it was out of state. we paid for his apartment and living expenses so he could work for FREE and gain college major-related work experience. a gift would be too much in my opinion.
  9. If you feel like you want to give a gift, do like they do on Split Endz, and look around and see what is lacking in the office, something that would improve it in some way. Maybe a plant, a wall clock, a little CD player, whatever it always seemed like to you was missing...