Help me use my birkin!

well 2 things. as my SA told me they're meant to be used. they're bags and the whole joy of them is using them.

2- yesterday i was watching oprah. (not to be a downer but the show was about people who are dying) they had the professor on who gave that last speech at carngie mellon (i believe you can watch it on you tube and i think everyone should). anyway he was talking about things vs people. he told this story about how he bought this beautiful new car. he was taking his neice and nephew for the weekend and his sister warned them not to mess it up because it was their uncle's new car. etc etc. and as she was talking he took opened a soda behind her and poured it over the backseat. she was like omg why did you do that? and he said because it's just a thing. on the way home his nephew had the flu and threw up in the backseat. and he said he was so glad he had poured the soda in front of them because just doing that was worth the fact that his nephew did not feel bad for being sick in his car and feeling guilty that he had the flu.

i'm all for babying my things. but i think that lesson hit home- that living and people are more important than keeping our things perfect. they're things. we own them. they don't make our lives, they just contribute to the overall beauty and joy of it.

anyway, that show had a very deep impact on me so i hope it was ok i posted about it here. good luck! i bet it's one heck of a gorgeous bag!

Congratzzz... for yr BJ swift 35cm.. I luv swift..its slouchy & smooth..
I have been using my Lindy Swift & Birkin Swift .. and they'r fine.. enjoy it.
Dun forget to post yr outfit w/ yr BJ swift to " Hermes in action "..
Cya..

OMG.. am so touching.. U are right, we should enjoy rather than praise the thing.
Its not worthy if we worry so much, we wont be enjoy our life.
Thanks for posting here, hlfinn:heart:

well 2 things. as my SA told me they're meant to be used. they're bags and the whole joy of them is using them.

2- yesterday i was watching oprah. (not to be a downer but the show was about people who are dying) they had the professor on who gave that last speech at carngie mellon (i believe you can watch it on you tube and i think everyone should). anyway he was talking about things vs people. he told this story about how he bought this beautiful new car. he was taking his neice and nephew for the weekend and his sister warned them not to mess it up because it was their uncle's new car. etc etc. and as she was talking he took opened a soda behind her and poured it over the backseat. she was like omg why did you do that? and he said because it's just a thing. on the way home his nephew had the flu and threw up in the backseat. and he said he was so glad he had poured the soda in front of them because just doing that was worth the fact that his nephew did not feel bad for being sick in his car and feeling guilty that he had the flu.

i'm all for babying my things. but i think that lesson hit home- that living and people are more important than keeping our things perfect. they're things. we own them. they don't make our lives, they just contribute to the overall beauty and joy of it.

anyway, that show had a very deep impact on me so i hope it was ok i posted about it here. good luck! i bet it's one heck of a gorgeous bag!

Wow Hflinn says it all. Get out there and use it and with time it will become more comfortable.

That's so true and touching. Thanks for sharing. :heart:

Thanks so much for the encouragement! Yes, the bags are just things and I should just use it. Thanks for the advice about letting the swift leather breathe-- more motivation to take it out into town =)

May, hope you're enjoying your bag and that she has had multiple outings! Just wanted to add my $0.02. I was really afraid to use my Birkin at first, but then realised that she can always go to the spa. I'm actually thinking about reselling my lambskin Chanel flap bag because there is no spa option at Chanel. I actually feel anxious whenever I carry the Chanel bag and really don't enjoy it as much as I should.

May, hope you're enjoying your bag and that she has had multiple outings! Just wanted to add my $0.02. I was really afraid to use my Birkin at first, but then realised that she can always go to the spa. I'm actually thinking about reselling my lambskin Chanel flap bag because there is no spa option at Chanel. I actually feel anxious whenever I carry the Chanel bag and really don't enjoy it as much as I should.

They don't call it spa, but Chanel will refurbish and rehabilitate your bag for a price, I think a total spa package is about $250. :yes: Just head to your boutique and talk to your SA when the time is right!

I'm an interior designer and I tell my clients to USE and LIVE-IN their beautiful new rooms. Frankly, a room that might as well have a velvet rope at the door, looks just like a display room - it's not a home. The same is true with the beautiful things we wear and carry. A gorgeous bag that has clearly been loved and carried for years has a very special beauty. It has character - it has a soul!

Trust me when I say you will TRULY ENJOY the experience more by carrying your bag. You need to spoil yourself ..not your bag (by keeping it in the closet). You paid top bucks for a wonderful bag...wear it well! ;)