Help me understand shoes

Delirium

Mar 31, 2006
Okay, so I am a relatively new purse collector (2 years) with a growing collection. One would think that a love of designer purses would automatically sashay into a love of designer shoes? Think again. For some reason I just don't get them.

Case in point, I was shopping in Montreal this week (there on business) and decided to meander around looking at shoes. Went to Holt Renfrew and Browns and was really disappointed in the selection I found. Great brand names, no styles that looked at me and said "BUY ME!!! I'm worth 1000$". I found the selection limited and the styles mediocre. Also, I found the height of almost all of the heels to be teetering on impossible in this physical world. Who can walk in those?? Alternatively, when I go to more mainstream stores they seem to have shoes of every colour, texture and height. I'm sure the quality is mass produced, ergo the cheaper prices, but just the pure selection seems to better.

So what am I doing wrong? Wrong stores? Wrong seasons? Wrong mindset? Why don't I get designer shoes? I can completely understand a pair of shoes that are meant to be sat in, not walked in. Art for display, indoors only. However, I just don't feel the love yet with what higher end designers are producing.

Thoughts? Explanations? Tips? All appreciated.

Dee

I was in the same situation not too long ago, i love handbags, but shoes were never really my thing..

I think that it's pretty much just preference..

I agree with you on the mainstream stores though, I found WAY cuter shoes at Charlotte Russe than at Nordstrom which sells designer shoes..

Hi Dee,
From someone who is a much bigger fan of shoes than handbags, I can relate to your post.

Style aside, I have found that certain designers can make a 4-inch pump more comfortable to wear than a 2-inch pumps from others. This, in combination with quality of materials and craftsmanship is what separates products from certain designers from the rest of the bunch.

That said, being an overall conservative dresser, for both clothes and shoes, there are seasons which have been dry for me. I don't really stray from the shoe makers I prefer, which may be why certain styles do scream "Buy me (...my thoughts are usually...my size may be gone soon, it won't be back next season, blah blah blah)."

Maybe that's why when one of my favorite designers comes out with a pricier shoe that I like, the negotiations with my husband begin immediately.

I don't think I have ever fallen in love with a pair of shoes in a store, so I may understand what your perspective is. And then, when I see the price I think, "well, those aren't cut enough for $xxx" or I think they will go out of style before next season.

Having said that, I feel best when I am properly accessorized with a nice handbag and appropriate shoes that are well made.

I have found that shopping at Zappos.com is a good solution. The shipping is free and you can return shoes you don't care for. Plus, you can try them on in your home with the clothes you plan on wearing them with.

Shoes may never become one of your great passions, but I look at them now as collectibles and purchase the best quality and the most classic style I can affored. It makes me feel good.

I was in the same situation not too long ago, i love handbags, but shoes were never really my thing..

I think that it's pretty much just preference..

I agree with you on the mainstream stores though, I found WAY cuter shoes at Charlotte Russe than at Nordstrom which sells designer shoes..

Aren't the shoes at Charlotte Russe inspired by many of the brands that Nordstrom's carries? Also, I don't think CR shoes would be very comfy, I've tried them on before..so painful!

A lot of the mainstream brands are very inspired by designer brands....

And the materials can affect how comfortable the shoe is. I've personally found cheaper materials (especially the stiffer leathers) can make a shoe quite intolerable.

I have the opposite problem. I also love ridiculously high heels, though I do admit I won't wear them if I have to walk around a lot....

Maybe the problem is just how luxury and mainstream retail differ. A lot of the "best" shoes are sold out in designer stores early on. The mainstream stores release new designs on a faster basis (instead of 3 times a year: spring, fall, cruise), so there is a constant supply of new styles.