Help me convince my landlady!

1. Hi everyone,

Here's the deal... 4 months ago, I moved into a fabulous apartment -- great location, tons of space, and affordable rent. It's not without its problems (it's a 3rd floor unit in a ca. 1885 Victorian house) but there's really only one thing about it that bugs me...

My landlady (who's kind of a b*tch) won't let me have a pet!

Apparently, the girl who lived there before me had a cat, and she never cleaned up after it. It had peed allover the hardwood floors, and the stench when I moved in was unbearable! (I had to disinfect and air out my closet for 4 days before I could put my clothes away!) So, my landlady outlawed pets in the house. (My neighbors in the other 2 apartments can't have them either.)

I've been a very good, responsible tenant so far, but my landlady hasn't exactly been the best. She's extremely lax about upkeep on the house (which is quite alot, considering its age) and it takes her on average 4-6 weeks to respond to a maintenance request. I feel it would be fair to ask her if I could have a cat -- providing, of course, that I take better care of it (and my apartment) than the previous tenant!

Any suggestions on how to broach the subject to her? I love my apartment and would like to stay there till I can afford to buy, but living by myself gets really lonely, and I'd sure love to have a furry companion!
  2. Woops seems like you have a battle on your hands with this one, especially as the last cat owner was so dirty & the landlady doesn't sound like the most approachable.
    I would just ask her to inspect your flat & to see how clean you keep it. I am sure that the last lady was generally dirty if she lived with such a smell & the landlady will know this. Tell her that you keep your place spotless & would not live with the dirt that other lady did. I hope it works out for you.
  3. Let me preface this by saying I have a number of rental properties and I normally allow pets. That quickly she responds to service requests and you getting to have your cat are seperate issues. In other words, her slow response does not equal that you should be allowed to have a cat. First, there is a timeline that landlords must adhere to with service issues, and it sure is not weeks, more like days. You might want to check the state rental laws about this issue.
    Second, just so you know, urine never dries, it crystalizes. Therefore you will always have that stink. Yuck.

Here are some ideas:
    Ask her if you pay an increased security deposit can you have the cat, or
    If you pay increased rent can you have the cat.
    Tell her you promise not to adopt 3 kids who will pee, vomit and paint on the walls if you can have a cat. hehe
    If she originally stated no pets then you don't really have a great argument, and if she finds that you have a pet she can evict you, at least in California we can.
  4. When I lived in an apartment, I smuggled a starving, pregnant kitty in. She had her litter of kittens (8 of them) on the nice little bed I made for her in my closet. I got so worried about being found out that I worked out a deal of an increased security deposit with the landlord. I paid a lot, but I got everything back in the end because I left the apartment in such great shape. I still have the kitty, she's 13 now, and one of her kittens. The mom is the striped one and the kitten is the spotty one with the white chest in my avatar.
  5. Yeah, I think showing her around your place and showing her what a clean person you are, she would maybe take it into consideration?
  6. If you'd consider a small dog, alot of landlords are more receptive to that idea, a dog over a cat. Maybe because the perceived odor of a dog is less than that of a cat.
  7. I was going to suggest the increased security deposit. Even in buildings that allow pets you have to pay an extra deposit to have them there. Or sometimes its even a non refundable fee, but definitely worth it if you want a pet!
  8. there's also equal housing. . . if she allows you to have a pet, she has to allow all her tenants.
    It's apparently not a precedent she's willing to set.