Workplace Help Macys- PT Administrative Support Team Associate Interview Questions

BellaLuella

Wondering Wandering
O.G.
Oct 1, 2006
Any tips? I have an interview coming up and I really would love to land this job. Is it appropriate for me to disclose that I plan to stay at my other office job as well? I feel like they will question as to why I won’t leave my other job. My other job is flexible with hours but things are shaky there and they are going “bare backbone” as they call it or should I not mention that at all and just say that I am looking for another career to expand my knowledge? Also any idea what they will ask?

This is the job description:
[FONT=&quot]General Administrative Functions[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Coordinate distribution of all incoming communication (including phone, fax, email, mail, network printer, Stores Portal)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Access and distribute essential reports from Stores Portal to Executive team[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Complete and distribute Store newsletter and distribute other employee communications[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Service all customers who visit the Store Manager's office for assistance; handle all customer correspondence[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Organize weekly store recognition rallies; maintain store bulletin board program[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Administration of the Safety program and accident reporting process[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Human Resources Functions[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Coordinate the interview process for Store Management team[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Perform administrative tasks for all new hire paperwork, input employee information in hiring system[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Monitor new hire orientation and training sessions as needed[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Act as liaison to the District's Human Resources office for all HR issues and objectives[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Coordinate and schedule all in-store training; maintain training room standards and supplies[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Review weekly training compliance report and make corrections as needed[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Operational & Cash Functions[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Keep non-payroll supply budgets logs and balance store checkbook; review seasonal payroll/non-payroll budgets[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Complete and submit monthly legal compliance audits[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Maintain store supplies; process orders as needed[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Maintain phone lists and Associate information binders at each cash wrap[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Act as the key store operations contact; perform as liaison with systems team; submit and follow-up on work orders as needed[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Participate in inventory focusing on administrative functions[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Balance Vault and perform other cash functions on a daily basis; perform monthly cash office self audit[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Replenish and balance registers; research and resolve cash shortage issues[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Maintain Lost & Found records and register media records[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Resolve customer issues; track customer shipments, assist with lost gift cards[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Staffing Functions[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Act as liaison to District Staffing office for all Staffing issues and objectives[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Print Current and Future week(s) scheduling reports[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Review schedule edit requests with Store Manager, complete with approval[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Coordinate Annual Vacation solicitation from Associates[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Coordinate On Call communication and solicitation of open hours[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Monitor weekend compliance in partnership with Store Manager and Sales Managers[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Partner with Store Management to interview and employ Administrative Support Team associates[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Create a positive, inclusive work environment resulting in retention of the best people and turnover reduction[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Address AST Associate concerns in a reasonable and fair manner, consistent with the values expected by the Company, partnering with Store Manager when appropriate[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Advise and provide input to AST performance evaluations[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Make recommendations to Store Manager on AST Associate termination, promotion, advancement and talent development[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Ensure all procedures, policies and shortage programs are understood and executed by AST Associates[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Lead AST Associates in support of community service opportunities[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Skills Summary[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Minimum of two years of administrative experience[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Previous supervisory experience not required but highly recommended[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Strong technical skills; Proficient in Excel, Word, Lotus Notes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Strong customer service orientation[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Excellent written and verbal communication skills[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Good interpersonal and leadership skills[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Highly organized, with the ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Effective prioritizing and time management skills[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Good analytics with knowledge of payroll systems[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Motivated self-starter, able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously[/FONT]

Any tips? I have an interview coming up and I really would love to land this job. Is it appropriate for me to disclose that I plan to stay at my other office job as well? I feel like they will question as to why I won’t leave my other job. My other job is flexible with hours but things are shaky there and they are going “bare backbone” as they call it or should I not mention that at all and just say that I am looking for another career to expand my knowledge? Also any idea what they will ask?

[FONT=&quot]General Administrative Functions[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Coordinate distribution of all incoming communication (including phone, fax, email, mail, network printer, Stores Portal)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Access and distribute essential reports from Stores Portal to Executive team[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Complete and distribute Store newsletter and distribute other employee communications[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Service all customers who visit the Store Manager's office for assistance; handle all customer correspondence[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Organize weekly store recognition rallies; maintain store bulletin board program[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Administration of the Safety program and accident reporting process[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Human Resources Functions[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Perform administrative tasks for all new hire paperwork, input employee information in hiring system[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Monitor new hire orientation and training sessions as needed[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Act as liaison to the District's Human Resources office for all HR issues and objectives[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Coordinate and schedule all in-store training; maintain training room standards and supplies[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Review weekly training compliance report and make corrections as needed[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Operational & Cash Functions[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Keep non-payroll supply budgets logs and balance store checkbook; review seasonal payroll/non-payroll budgets[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Maintain phone lists and Associate information binders at each cash wrap[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Act as the key store operations contact; perform as liaison with systems team; submit and follow-up on work orders as needed[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Participate in inventory focusing on administrative functions[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Balance Vault and perform other cash functions on a daily basis; perform monthly cash office self audit[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Replenish and balance registers; research and resolve cash shortage issues[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Resolve customer issues; track customer shipments, assist with lost gift cards[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Staffing Functions[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Act as liaison to District Staffing office for all Staffing issues and objectives[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Review schedule edit requests with Store Manager, complete with approval[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Coordinate On Call communication and solicitation of open hours[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Monitor weekend compliance in partnership with Store Manager and Sales Managers[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Partner with Store Management to interview and employ Administrative Support Team associates[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Create a positive, inclusive work environment resulting in retention of the best people and turnover reduction[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Address AST Associate concerns in a reasonable and fair manner, consistent with the values expected by the Company, partnering with Store Manager when appropriate[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Make recommendations to Store Manager on AST Associate termination, promotion, advancement and talent development[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Ensure all procedures, policies and shortage programs are understood and executed by AST Associates[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Lead AST Associates in support of community service opportunities[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Skills Summary[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Previous supervisory experience not required but highly recommended[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Strong technical skills; Proficient in Excel, Word, Lotus Notes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Highly organized, with the ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Motivated self-starter, able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously[/FONT]
Hi,

Good ideal, pls try to keep posting.

Tks and best regards

I wouldnt mention that you are planning on staying at your other job for now - it will distract them if you are right for the job IMO.

My guess is they will ask you some situational questions (stuff about prioritzing, this is a hefty job description), probably some behavioural questions (in the past, if someone you work with hasnt done their job how have you dealt with it - that type of thing) and ask you about your previous job experiences.

I would also not mention anything about your current job. That's a discussion to have with your manager once they offer you the position.

To prepare for the interview, go through the job description and write a list of the qualities and experience they are looking for. Then make a list of situations you have dealt with successfully in past jobs that illustrate each of these points. Interviewers always want examples of your skills. If you're going to say "I'm detail-oriented", back it up with an example of how you caught something others missed. If you think you have strong customer service skills, explain how you handled a difficult call in the past and retained a customer who was going to leave. If you have good leadership skills, tell them how many people you have supervised, hired, etc., and give an example of how you lead a project successfully.

Having hired many people in the past, people that are over-confidant bug me the most. I look for people who are confident in their skills, but are very personable and don't come across as cocky. It also impresses me when people do their research and know a lot about the company. Read the corporate website and know their mission statement and values. But don't just recite these things without thinking about what they mean and how the company follows through with its mission statement. You should also prepare some questions to ask the interviewer. The one I like receiving is "what are the biggest challenges past employees have faced in this position?" Other good questions are about the training process, how closely you'll work with other employees and supervisors, etc. Ask thoughtful questions that will start a meaningful conversation between you and the interviewer, which shows that you're really interested in the position. And never, ever ask about salary and benefits until you get the job offer! And always send a personal thank you note. Everyone tells people to do this, but you'd be surprised how few actually do. Ok, that's all, good luck!:smile:

I agree completely with bellafleur. Also, I highly recommend brushing up on your skill set in case you need to do a skill assessment test. It's one thing to say you know your way around excel, its another to prove that you can create a spreadsheet and do a mail merge with it.

Since the position entails being a liaison, questions about how you interact with people will come up. Be prepared to answer questions such as "give an example of how you dealt with difficult situation", etc.

It seems like the person would need great time management. So have examples ready of how you have shown your time management skills.

Another thing I saw in the job description is supervisory skills. So prepare to give examples of that as well.

One thing I loved that one of my administrative assistants did at the interview was have a copy of the job description and a copy of his resume at the interview. Thus, he was able to reference the exact job and name of the company when he gave his examples. He also used the time when we asked "Do you have any questions for us?" and referenced the job description for more clarification on one of the duties of the position.

Sometimes its hard to remember the names of the people who will be interviewing you on the day of the interview. What I like to do is ask who will be interviewing me when they call to schedule the interview. That way, I can find out more about the person (title, etc) through google.

I agree completely with bellafleur. Also, I highly recommend brushing up on your skill set in case you need to do a skill assessment test. It's one thing to say you know your way around excel, its another to prove that you can create a spreadsheet and do a mail merge with it.

Since the position entails being a liaison, questions about how you interact with people will come up. Be prepared to answer questions such as "give an example of how you dealt with difficult situation", etc.

It seems like the person would need great time management. So have examples ready of how you have shown your time management skills.

Another thing I saw in the job description is supervisory skills. So prepare to give examples of that as well.

One thing I loved that one of my administrative assistants did at the interview was have a copy of the job description and a copy of his resume at the interview. Thus, he was able to reference the exact job and name of the company when he gave his examples. He also used the time when we asked "Do you have any questions for us?" and referenced the job description for more clarification on one of the duties of the position.

Sometimes its hard to remember the names of the people who will be interviewing you on the day of the interview. What I like to do is ask who will be interviewing me when they call to schedule the interview. That way, I can find out more about the person (title, etc) through google.

This thread is 2 years old.

I read your post and just joined this forum so I could respond to it. Did you end up getting the job with Macy's. I know the post was from 2 years ago. I will be interviewing next week for it.

[FONT=&quot]General Administrative Functions[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Human Resources Functions[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Operational & Cash Functions[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Staffing Functions[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Skills Summary[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Hi! I just want to know how did your interview go? I have the same job interview on Wednesday. I wish you could share your experience. Thank you.