Help - job interview dilemma

How conservative is the company do you know? If it's in a conservative industry I would definitely go with the briefcase. If it's more creative then I would go with the Muse. I agree that men would be more likely to think "What a massive bag", than "What on earth is she carrying a briefcase for?".

This is a good point. It's probably closer to conservative than creative. I think you're right on about if it were a creative job, the Muse would be better.

OK, I think I'm leaning towards the briefcase, in spite of Mr. Bitty.:tup:

First - you're gonna look fab and you're right to find the outfit (clothing) that will make you feel uber confident.
As for the "accessories" - err on the side of conservative - esp. since you mentioned that the company is more on the conservative vs. creative side.
Most men (and we've made the assumption that you are interviewing w/men) think that this big bag thing is utterly ridiculous - so go with the briefcase. It's something they understand......now, men do understand shoes, and think you were smart to go out and get some great lookin' shoes....make sure you wear them and scuff up the bottoms before going in....don't want to do a "banana peel" dance :smile:
Good luck!

I have to admit that I am surprised at my relative lack of conservatism on this one--I think the Muse is a very classy-looking bag, and that there are few workplaces (except for uber uber traditional ones) where it would result in a bad impression. I don't think men would think of it as an "oversized handbag" as much as a feminine briefcase.

Perhaps the only other problem could be if some fashionable, knowledgeable people at the place you're interviewing knew what it was and considered it to be extravagent, but I think the Muse is a pretty safe bet, even if it is burgundy.

Bitty, can you tell us what kind of office or industry this is? Good luck with the interview.

If there's a hint of conservative in the business or company, go with the briefcase. The higher up the corporate ladder you're attempting, even in creative companies, lean toward the more conservative accessory for an interview (although in creative offices, you can definitely go with less conservative suits and colors).

I've worked in a variety of senior management venues and interviewed a lot of people, and the Muse would be a fine choice if I were the interviewer. I happen to think evidence of taste is an excellent quality. However, as others have pointed out, men don't always "get" the tastefulness of an excellent handbag, and I've known some women to have negative reactions to other women's handbags. It's sad, but true. I guess I'm saying the safest choice is the bag that best blends in.

^^^I agree with the people who said carry the briefcase if it's a conservative industry/company. The Muse is pretty understated, but if it's a conservative company, definitely go for the briefcase.

I'm in corporate recruitment for a Fortune 100 company (and a fairly conservative "old school" client-facing one at that) and an executive myself. Unless your prospective employer's industry is fashion, where clothing/accessories can dictate a hiring decision, I recommend you go with the bag you feel best matches your outfit and makes you feel comfortable and confident.

In all my years in corporate recruitment and HR at this company and several others, I never once heard an interviewer comment about a candidate's clothing or accessories UNLESS the candidate's attire and/or accessories were completely inappropriate for the company's corporate culture.

If you look professional and match what they see around them every day (presumably most women in your prospective employer's office carry a handbag of some sort), most hiring managers/interviewers do not recall details of a candidate's attire or accessories in their interview documentation or debrief with a recruiter or anyone else. (I do notice handbags but that's cuz I'm a crazed purse fan! But I still would never say no to a candidate simply because I didn't like her bag).

If any executives I worked with said "well, I do not want to hire her because I didn't like her bag", I'd honestly be like :wtf::confused1: and then tell him that doesn't play into a hiring decision and drive the conversation to focus on the interviewer's assessment of the candidate's qualifications, skills and experience - and the hiring decision based on this.

Don't stress and GOOD LUCK with your interview!!!! :tup:Knock their socks off and come back to let us know how it went, if you got the job, and what bag you decided on! ;)

Bitty, can you tell us what kind of office or industry this is? Good luck with the interview.

It's health care management. I'm not really worried about people thinking the Muse is extravagant -- and yes, the C-level exec I would be working for is male. The peer interview and HR are female. The peer has veto power but not power to say yes.

I will definitely let everyone know how it goes. I am glad I sprang on the shoes...even though I will get in serious trouble if Mr. Bitty finds out.

Thanks so much for the support!

Briefcase. It's very professional, won't be too unprofessional/girly (I'm not trying to be controversial, but I think if you showed up looking too feminine, you may not be as respected). It's practical and you won't have to fold your resume.

I think a Coach briefcase is still a good style statement, while managing to hit the required conservative note. I wonder if your OH usually interviews other men, most men do look silly carrying briefcases to interviews because they usually put their one or two things in their pockets! Women on the other hand do carry stuff so it looks less out of place.
GUNG - I don't have the cash to buy designer so my suits are Anne Klein and Calvin Klein and my shirts are Ann Taylor and Banana Republic. My shoes are Calvin Klein and I always carry a black plain Furla purse. I'm a consultant in the finance industry so I'm expected to look the part at all times.

A shoulder bag over my left shoulder and a simple portfolio in my left hand leaves me with my right hand ready for a firm handshake. When I walk into the conference room, the portfolio opens - the resumes are ready, my pen, and my conversation. No muss. No fuss. I agree with a previous post. Just be comfortable. I can't wait to hear how this turns out for you. Best wishes.

Why did you change the purple shirt? If that is you in your avatar, you are a brunette, and purple is going to look much better near your face than amber red or even burgundy.

Purple is to us what beige is to blondes. It counts as a neutral! :biggrin: