HELP...ex inlaws don't use carseat and ...

1. have put my seven year old daughter in the front seat WITH an airbag....

This has been a problem in the past and I am just not "heard"...

It is illegal, but my ex husband refuses to say anything.....any advice? Police or Lawyer??

Tlhank you....Kiley

2. If the children are in your Ex-husband's custody when this happens there is nothing you can do about it, except call the police when you know they are going out and have him catch it. You can call Child Protective Services, but since it is his parents that are doing it and not him, I don't know that they will do anything. I guess you could call them and ask.

3. Seven-year-olds aren't allowed in the front seat anymore?

Call your lawyer. Maybe the judge can amend the custody agreement stipulating your ex and his family uses a carseat when they drive with your daughter.

4. In Oregon...but I think this is National, you have to be 12 years old in autos WITH airbags....without you still need a booster until 4'9" or 4'11"....luckily my daughter is tall and weighs about 60-65....

Thank you all...and have a great day!
    Kiley

5. This seems like a far better response to the problem that calling the police. His lawyer will talk some sense into him. And it won't escalate bad feelings as much.

The law in your state sounds a bit over protective IMO. There are 12 year olds who weigh and are bigger than many adults. Are airbags that big of a danger even to a 7 year old?

6. Yup, sadly, they are. I was in a high speed car accident in 2006, and my air bag deployed. It did save my life, but I had massive internal & external bruising and really intense pain all over my abdomen/chest. I'm pretty sure that if I were the size of a 7 year old and in the front seat, I would have died because their head is about where my chest is, and all that impact could easily have snapped their neck. The backseat is really much safer... even if air bags weren't an issue.

7. no matter how big a 7 yr old is, the childs' bones and body are still only 7 yrs old. I would DEFINITELY see my attorney about this if that family won't listen.
    My 6.5 yr old is 65lbs and 50inches tall and she will not see the front seat in anyone's car until at least 10 yrs old. She still sits in my 3rd row in a booster.
    This is actually the one topic I know of that can get me really pissed off fast. I know how you feel and I wouldn't let me kid out the door if I thought this was how she'd be cared for, there's just no reason to have her in a front seat, she's still a baby for pete's sake!
    I'd call CPS or my attorney before she visited them/him again.

Here's facts to share w/ them:

Effective July 1, 2007, a new Oregon law further requires that children use a booster seat until they are 4'9" tall, unless they are at least 8 years old. Oregon strongly recommends that children under age 12 ride in the back seat. All Oregon passengers and drivers are required to wear a seat belt.
    BOOSTER SEAT LAW: (effective July 1, 2007) Children over forty pounds must use boosters to 4'9" tall unless they have reached age eight.

Booster Seats. When children have outgrown their safety seat, they should ride in an age/size appropriate restraint, such as a belt-positioning booster seat. In general, children who have outgrown child safety seats should be properly restrained in booster seats until they are at least 8 years old. However, children who reach a height of 4 feet 9 inches before their eighth birthday may be ready for adult safety belts.
    Back Seating. Children aged twelve and under should ride in rear seating positions. Research indicates that such rear positioning reduces the risk of crash injury by 37% for that age group.

8. Yes, it unfortunately can decapitate a child that isn't the right height/weight...

Thank you!
    PS...love your hermes bag! yummy!
    Kiley

9. I was going to write a reply, but Swanky said the exact same thing.

Talk to your attorney and CPS.

10. Thank you all...I copied and pasted that info and emailed my ex, his parent's, my parents (so I don't seem to be picking on them...they are nuts)...and then my ex just basically emailed me and called me a nag....etc...I had a wreck on a very dangerous highway about 5 1/2 years ago...everyone was fine...the ambulance said my daughter was just fine and I took her to the emergency room just in case....and he loves to throw that in my face like..."look how inept you are....who are you to harp on the car seat deal"....jerk.
    So, I am going to contact CSD and my attorney...

Thank you all so much!
    Kiley

11. He called you a nag????? When you are clearly looking out for and concerned with your daughers well being while riding in a car! Perhaps he should become a little more concerned for the welfare of his child.

I also agree with Swanky. My son is only 3, but if he were older and any relative that he rode with didn't not put him in the back in a booster seat, that would be the end of that. I believe it's also a law in my state that a child ride in the back until they are 12 years old.

Good luck! I definately think you are doing the right thing for your daughter by contacting the CPS and your attorney!

12. ...I wonder if he'd still call you a nag if your daughter was riding in the front seat with his parents and they any sort of mishap? I feel so disgusted with people like that, who are not concerned with the physical safety of their children.

13. I feel the same as Swanky.
    I was in a very bad accident a few months ago. My older ds is 6. Our SUV flipped 3 times after we hit a median, and a car head on. A child's life is so damn precious. Taking the extra few minutes to properly place them in a car seat, SAVES LIVES.

14. OMG PinkSuadeSoho!!! That's pretty much my worst nightmare!!! Thank God you are all ok!:wtf:

and you can throw back in his face:
    "and WHY was she fine? BECAUSE HER MOMMY CARES ENOUGH TO RESTRAIN HERE PROPERLY!!!!!"
    If your in-laws had the accident instead of you, we may not be having this conversation . . . and THAT is frightening and sobering. . . I can't even bear to think about it.:cry:

15. Like others, this is one topic I just go off on. I HAVE called the cops on people; many times. I will continue to do so because SOMEONE has to be the voice for these children. The parents certainly aren't doing their job.

Good luck to you. Don't you back down; EVER. They need you to stand up for THEM. Hugs!