Help! Dry skin...

1. Not sure if this should go in The Beauty Bar... (mods please move if so!)

I know that dry skin is common in winter, and I moisturize all over like crazy - but I have this patch of flakey skin between my lip and nose, directly under my right nostril that Will Not Go Away. It's the size of a dime and it's driving me nuts. It's not itchy and not red - but it continues to flake no matter what I do. I have tried to exfoliate it away, but it comes back. The rest of my skin is surviving this winter rather respectably.

I have tried:
    pure Vitamine E oil
    polysporin
    excessive amnt's of my regular moisturizer
    cortate cream

Anyone ever had this? How do I get rid of it?? It's been there for about 3 - 4 weeks now.

Help please?:shrugs:

2. Maybe try a cortizone cream but if you do, do not use for an extended amount of time as it thins the skin. I also would stop the exfoliating if you are still doing it as it's probably just aggrivating the site.

3. I would suggest cortizone too- I've found that the ointment works better than the cream though. One day I woke up and I had this line of dry skin across the bottom of my lower lip and the cortizone ointment fixed it in about 2 days! I haven't had any reoccuring problems either, but like havanese_pls said, don't use it for too long.

4. evening primrose oil helps balance skin oils so can help with dry skin (you can not take this if you have (or history of) epilepsy)

5. A friend just recommended coconut oil as a great facial moisturizer. I haven't tried it yet, but if it works, it would be an inexpensive, healthy solution.

6. Also try some tea tree oil maybe that will help somewhat!

7. If you have one spot that is flaking no matter what you put on it, you need to get it checked by a dermatologist ASAP.

Especially if the rest of your skin is OK.

Not to be an alarmist, it could just be simple exzema, but that could be an early stage of skin cancer.

8. :wtf: right away.

9. I have had something similar; what worked for me was putting blistex (the medicated creme, not the chapstick version) on it. Just a thin layer, obviously.

10. how about trying AQUAPHOR? it's a healing ointment for dry, cracked, or irritated skin. i originally bought it for my children (they've both use it since they were 6mths old), but now use it too as it really helps with dry skin.

11. I loooove Aquaphor! I use it on my lips, on my cuticles, and anywhere I have dry skin. It's awesome stuff.

Plus, I was going to suggest trying a lotion that contains alpha hydroxy acids - it sloughs off dry flaking skin and makes your skin really smooth. I use it on my nose and lips in the winter because my skin gets really dry.

12. Thanks everyone for the suggestions! The spot has gotten better...not exactly sure what I did that has made it go away, there's only a trace left.

I learned recently that a Canadian winter has drier air than the Sahara desert. Hmmm. Even with four extra humidifiers going in my house - it's still crazy dry here. Not great for my skin.

I am def. going to try some of the great stuff suggested here. THANKS A BUNCH!!

13. Remember to drink a lot! The most moisture skin gets is from the inside.