Help! Does fat show on scale???

1. Ok - my scale shows I weigh exactly where I want to be, BUT my clothes are telling a different story (meaning jeans are tight, clothes aren't fitting as loosely as they were - and I feel squishier lol) :sad2: Can you gain FAT and have it not show on the scale as gained weight? Or am I losing muscle tone and turning to flab? I don't exercise and know that's a problem but I am going to start.

1) What should I be eating - low carb, no carb, low fat, SO confused.

2) Also, to keep weight off it's cardio that I need to do right? How much is enough? I am planning on doing toning exercises on the days I don't walk.

Thanks girls! I need to keep this in check before it crreeeeeeps back on :sick:

2. You could be losing muscle mass, muscle weighs 3x more than fat.

3. So that would be making me flabbier then where I don't want it? If I gained muscle it would show I gained weight on the scale...so I'm wondering if it's fat because it's not showing.

Do I have to work out to gain muscle mass?

Also about eating, I'm not sure what I should be doing. Can somebody help me? Should I be doing lowfat?

4. ayla's right, you could be losing muscle mass.

As far as eating goes, don't get caught up in the low carb or low fat craze, etc. What you want to aim for is a balance of protein, fat and carbs from whole, unprocessed foods. Lean meats, seafood, nuts and seeds, whole grains, olive oil, low fat dairy, beans, veggies, fruits, etc. The whole point is to have a healthy lifestyle that you can maintain, not just go on a diet to lose the weight. "Diets" are usually unsuccessful and lead to gaining the weight back, because the eating habits you adopt while trying to lose the weight are practically impossible to maintain on a daily basis for years. A good macronutrient ratio split is around 40 percent protein, 35 carbs and 25 fat, or 40 percent protein, 30 carbs and 30 fat.

To take weight off and keep it off, you want to do both cardio and weight training. Cardio burns calories, but weight training builds muscle that is essential to boosting your metabolism. The higher your metabolism, the more calories your body burns while at rest. Means you can eat more :amuse: If you're just starting out, try doing cardio for 30 to 45 minutes 3 days a week, and beginner weight training exercises 2 days a week, either before your cardio or on separate days.

Hope this helps :biggrin:

5. Wow Cristina that's very helpful!

As for weight training, is that toning exercises or would I have to use weights?

And lastly, is there any easy way to do the percentages of figuring out how to balance my meals correctly? I can't seem to estimate 40% protein, etc. I am so bad at it. As for fat, how much should be in my diet? The only bad thing I really have daily is iced coffee with real cream :cry: Do I have to give it up?

I agree - the lowcarb diets and all just aren't healthy long term and I can't stick with them regardless! I found when I was sick and was eating lowfat, that's when all the weight came off. I was limiting my intake of fats as I had to. I guess I should go back to that :idea:

6. I like to eat about 5times a day so I try to do about 2 ounces of protein to a 1/2 cup of carbs and lots and lots of veggies. It gives me a good balance, helps me loose when I want and maintain as well. HOpe this helps. Cutting out sugar, sodium and refined carbs (eat brown rice products, whole grains/wheat, sweet potatoes) really helps by the way.

7. You can get a scale that measures percentage body fat, as well as weight. I have one and its great. I've been going to the gym for a few months and haven't lost much weight, but I did lose about 1-2% body fat. I got my scale from linens and things.

8. There are exercises you can do without weights. Pushups, tricep dips off of a bench or chair, squats, lunges, leg lifts are all exercises that don't require weights. I add weight to my squats and lunges for more of a challenge. As you do them and increase your strength, you can challenge yourself by doing variations of these exercises and by adding weight to them. When you find a workout routine that works for you and your body, the more you can add different weight training exercises and change things around depending on your goals.

As far as food goes, at first it is hard to tell whether or not you're getting enough protein, carbs and fat. Who wants to sit there and write every single thing down? :wacko: The main goal is that you should work those three components into every meal. For example, for dinner let's say I have an egg white omelet with low fat cheese, mushrooms and onions, and a baked sweet potato with cinnamon and Splenda/sugar. My protein comes from the egg whites, my fat from the low fat dairy, and the carb from the sweet potato, they are a great source of natural, healthy carbohydrates.

When I was counting fat grams when I was losing weight, I got about 55 to 60 grams of fat per day. You don't necessarily have to give up your iced coffee with real cream, just don't overdo it on the cream. You can also make substitutions and changes elsewhere in your diet, so that the iced coffee and cream fit into your diet.

Again, hope I've helped you out some! :shame: :biggrin:

9. Excercise is extremely important. If you can squeeze it in even just 3 days a week it will make a huge difference.

And even if your diet is perfect, it doesnt mean you wont be losing muscle mass. I dont know how old you are but as we get older, even at 25 our metabolisms start to slow down and it get worse with age. If you dont do any weight bearing excercie, your muscle mass will start to break down. Also the less muscle mass you have, the lower your metabolism gets so its a double whammy!

It does suck how these things sneak up on us though!

10. Also in terms of diet, one thing you may want to avoid is eating high glycemic carbs in the presence of fat in a meal - when you eat these they promote an insulin spike which shuttle nutrients into the cells - this includes the fat you just ate therefore it promotes fat storage! High glycemic carbs are things such as white pasta, white rice, white bread, certain fruits, sugary stuff....you get the idea.

I know this may sound complicated but if your ambitious you could try eating several small meals a day in the following combinations:

Meal 1 - protein/carb
    Meal 2 - protein/fat
    Meal 3 - protein/fat
    Excercise
    Meal 4 - protein/carb
    Meal 5 - protein/carb (if this meal is not too close to bed, otherwise protein/fat)

And by fat I mean good fat! Salmon, nuts, avocado, olive oil, eggs etc..

Green vegatables such as brocoli or asparagus do not count as carbs for the purpose of this diet - you can eat them as much as you want with any meal.

11. Try this website... it's free and it helps you figure out your protiens, carbs and fats.. also try to learn and understand food labels... always check the portion size.

www.fitday.com

(I am not affiliated in anyway with this website, it worked for me when I was first starting out)

12. Gosh you guys are GREAT! That will be my mission this weekend - to try to understand how food works in my body and see how to NOT eat badly.

13. yah, these tips really helped! i like wat my scale tells me, but i hate how the jeans just seem TIGHT. good luck, twinklette, and i'll work on exercising more and eating protein too!