Help! Come see and comment? Advice needed!

1. Okay, so Fat Louie, my beloved kitty, has been gone over a month now. I'm trying to accept the fact that he's gone-- but in the meantime, I figure that it's time for me to adopt another kitty from the local shelter. If and when Fat Louie comes back, I'll have two cats, which is fine-- but I don't think he's coming back.

I know it sounds shallow, but I'm ready for a new kitty.

The kitty below is on the "urgent" list at the local shelter. He's beautiful. He's a maine coon cat. I'm considering adopting him. He's a young adult and he has been there for quite some time, and being on the urgent list means they are within 2 weeks of euthanizing him :cry: so maybe I have a chance to save a life here thanks to Fat Louie. What do you all think?

In any event, do any of you have Maine Coon cats? I know they get really big, but how big exactly? What is their temperament?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. When I saw this kitty's picture on petfinder I just fell in love with him!

AR47_9184681-3-x.jpg AR47_9184681-2-x.jpg corazon.jpg
  2. bump bump... I'm still flabbergasted that anyone would dump off a cat this beautiful...!

3. Go for it! If your other kitty returns, and you could keep both, why not?

He is beautiful. Good luck!

4. I say go for it as well.

5. I think that it is so wonderful that you are considering saving this poor kitty. Maine coons are awesome cats! They do get pretty big. They are really friendly and generally have great personalities. I say go for it.

6. I think you are such a sweet and caring person to suggest doing this. Im sorry I have no info on this breed of kitty but I would totally go for it! He is absolutely georgeous but most of all your saving is life!! How exciting!

7. I just can't believe anyone would get rid of him. He looks so pretty :love: But I just can't bear for them to euthanize him, that's why I had to quit volunteering at the pound, I kept taking cats home when they were about to be killed :shame: I took like, 3 home and pawned them off on friends and family, while I was volunteering there.

I found an article on Maine Coon cats, and it says:
    Maine Coons are a breed distinguished by intelligence, dexterity, and playfulness. They have a tendency to use their front paws extensively (often curling the paw round to pick objects up) and as a consequence will easily learn to open cabinet doors, turn on water faucets, or pick up small objects. Some Maine Coons will eat, or even drink, from their paws, rather than from the bowl itself.

Due to their above-average intelligence, Maine Coons are known to be one of the easiest cat breeds to train. Maine Coons are noted for their ability to trill their meows, which sounds like a combination of a purr and a meow, and they tend to make this sound when happy or startled. They are noted for rarely eating alone, preferring to eat in the company of other cats or humans. Maine Coons are usually not "lap" cats (possibly because of their large size), and thus are generally not comfortable sitting on a person's lap or chest, though this may depend on the personality of the individual cat.
    Some Maine Coons enjoy playing with, but not usually in, water. They may dip toys in their water bowls before playing with them, or just tip the water bowl over. They may also skim their paws across the surface of their water bowl. Maine Coons occasionally engage in mischievous behavior when bored, such as deliberately pushing things off tables and the tops of refrigerators with their paws.

Maine Coons can be very dog-like in their behavior. Playing fetch is a favorite game. As with dogs, they will bring their ball, drop it at the feet of their intended playmate and wait for the ball to be thrown. They will often accompany their owner on chores like getting the mail, walking the dog, and may also come when beckoned, even if outside.

8. AND they can live to be over 20 years old! Because they are hardy cats. It says they also average between 2 and 3 feet long. That's a big cat!

9. My Maine was exactly like this. Didn't know he was a cat. He was huge but very gentle. He led a double life though. I lived on a golf course when I had him and in the wee hours of the morning he would ride around on the golf cart with the groundskeeper who used to give him a can of tuna every morning.

10. ^^I have this mental picture of this huge kitty riding shotgun in a golf cart! LOL!

11. Awww, I would adopt him! They sound like great cats!

I read they can get up to 18lbs. I don't have a Main Coon, but my boy cat is 17lbs and is a big, lovable baby!

12. it was hysterical. I was sitting at the edge of the course one day with my cat and the groundskeeper drove up and says, "hey, theres my little buddy!" my cat looked at me with those half closed eyes like, "I don't know what he's talking about..."

13. LOL! What happened to him?

OHGirl, I read they can actually get up to 25 pounds and that the longest one on record was 48"! Can you imagine???

14. I had a main coon. He wasn't that big. I currently have a male cat that's a mix of diff. breeds and my main coon wasn't much bigger. I think he was about 20 pounds. My parents got him for me when I was a baby. He lived to be 20. He was a great cat. Very affectionate and playful! He looked like the one you may be getting but he had a lot of hair. I'd go for it! They really are great cats and the best part is you'd be saving a kitty from being euthanized :yes:

15. I'm so sorry your kitty is missing. How very sad. But, I do think you should adopt this guy! He needs a home and you clearly have a lot of love to give to a pet. I hope everything works out for you and I am still hopeful your cat returns home.