Help Cleaning Gemstones

1. I want to give my jewellery a quick clean up I have a solution suitable for diamonds and a jewellery polishing cloth the type that is 2 cloths one for lifting the dirt and the another for shining up.

My gemstones are mostly citrines, amethyst, peridot, tourmaline.

Can I use the cloth on them safely? I'm guessing it's impregnated with chemicals so I just want to make sure it's ok I did a web search but couldn't see anything.

Or are then any things I may have in my home that will do a god job on cleaning them?

2. Toothpaste. I know it sounds strange, but it works. I use it on everything but pearls, and I've always had success. Plus, your jewelry smells minty fresh!
  3. Be careful with toothpaste, as gemstones are lower on the Mohr's hardness scale they are far more likely to scratch. The setting can also be scratched as well. If you go this route, use a tiny bit of gel toothpaste and a baby toothbrush. You can use a cloth or soak them in warm soapy mild detergent. I mix a touch of ammonia in for diamonds, but not gemstones. Do not apply heat as it can change certain gemstone colors.
  4. I searched but didn't find a thread on this yet. I normally clean my diamonds in reg. jewelry cleaner, however on the label it says because with more delicate stones such as pearls and gems. How should I go about cleaning my blue topaz ring in white gold setting?? :confused1: Also will I always have water spots from the underside shining through the table when I wash my hands and the stone is dry??

Thanks!! :heart:
  5. Hey Missy, It's me. Fellow M.S.P.C. here :graucho:!!!!!!

Back to topic! I have no idea but I guess it would be as cleaning a diamond, they are both stones. As long as you use the right "cleaner" it would be ok. I think if you ring is gold, ammonia will make it darker but it is safe for silver and platinum. I might be wrong.

Anywho, I tried the windex trick from the other thread and wow, it was so splarkly. I want to post a picture for you to see.

click on the post to go to the thread I was talking about :yes:
  6. Aconym for that old club?? LOL I'm confused on M.S.P.C. sorry.

But I heard that colored gems change color quick if you use the wrong cleaning stuff, so I'm scared to put it in my jewelry cleaner as the cleaner says to be careful as well. Too scared to try windex too. (I'm such a pu**y ahhahaa!!) Anyone here with colored stones can give me some insight??
  7. I would be careful with blue Topaz ! They have to do a special treatment to get it that color as it is originally gold I think like a citrine color ? I would do a lot of internet research before you do anything or talk to a gemologist or someone who knows about geology and fine jewelry !
  8. I had a David Yurman ring in blue topaz that I wore into the pool. The stone got permanently cloudy. Apparently (according to an SA) the chlorine can remove the coating that was put on the blue topaz that makes it shiny. I would just use soap water and a toothbrush to clean your ring and blow dry it dry to remove water spots.
  9. I read extreme temperature can make the stone crack?? Would a blow dryer do that?? It said to not leave in hot places like cars. :confused1:
  10. I am glad that you brought up this question it has forced me to do some research. I absolutely love blue topaz and even try to claim that it is my birthstone even though it is Aquamarine ! Anyway I was thinking of having my RHR set into a 5 stone ring and blue topaz being 2 of the stones, kind of like a mother's ring because my son's birthstone is topaz and my daughter's is amythyst and my husband is diamond so I would have them all in one ring but now with the difference in care for the stones I am not sure now.
  11. For gemstones, I just use a toothbrush and a bit of liquid soap or toothpaste, dry w/ soft towel. Windex can be fine on diamonds and gold, but w/ colored stones, esp. if treated at all, you could do some damage.