Help! Cake/icing/caster sugar emergency!

1. :sos:

I don't know what on earth I was thinking! Visions of a voluptuous, pouty Nigella Lawson were floating through my head when I volunteered this afternoon to bake a cake for a friend's birthday tomorrow, even though I'm notoriously bad at cooking! :noggin:

So, after trawling the internet for several hours for the perfect recipe (from the Magnolia Bakery no less), and then traipsing through my local supermarket for an hour, I was ready. The cake mixture went OK (I think!), and it's now in the oven. But I've just been looking at my ingredients list, and it's dawned on me that Butter Icing needs powdered sugar, rather than the huge amounts of caster sugar I've purchased. All the shops are now closed, and my vanilla cake is going to be un-iced if I don't find some sort of solution within the next hour :crybaby:

Being the big mouth I am I've already completely talked up the fact that I'm baking this cake from totally services me right ha ha.

Would any of the lovely guys/gals on this forum have any suggestions about how to create butter icing from caster sugar? Or is there something else you might be able to suggest? This is the recipe if it helps at all?

Yours faithfully,
    Hopeless in the kitchen (but damn good at shopping)
  2. What is caster sugar? You might me able to do a glaze instead of icing.

For regular icing, you really need powdered sugar. Do you have any neighbors you can borrow some from? When do you need the cake by? If you have done the baking you have the hard part done. Making icing and icing the cake shouldn't take more than 15 minutes, if you can pop out tomorrow for the powdered sugar in the the AM
  3. Ok, I found out c astor sugar is what we call superfine. If you have eggs you can make a meringue topping. Meringues usually need cream of tarter, but if you don't have it, you can do without. Here is one recipe obvioulsy your cake is much different, but you could still use the topping.
  4. If you need confectioner's (powdered) sugar, pour granulated or fine sugar into a blender and blend until it is powdery. It becomes powdered sugar.