Heidi Klum sued by VCA

Thats what I thought,I was on honeymoon in Rome 3 years ago,took lots of photos of buildings architecture,as you do in a fabulous place like that,and just had a look back over old photos (approx 700) and its in loads of them. I read her remark before we bought the pendant,thought oo how lovely,very symbolic to us,and I had recently decided I did'nt want a single stone pendant.It was an ideal choice for us.

I nipped out earlier and there are a lot of churches out where we live in Cheshire,and suprise suprise,its all over our British churches in windows or some form or another.

This range has been out for at least five years,did no-one notice it until now?Its always been quite high profile here in the UK,it was stocked in jewellers I used to work in.

Yeah... I mean, the swatstika was originally a Buddhist symbol and if you look at temples you see it all over too.... but is anyone going to disassociate it with the Nazis? Granted, this isn't on the same scale.. but still.

Yeah... I mean, the swatstika was originally a Buddhist symbol and if you look at temples you see it all over too.... but is anyone going to disassociate it with the Nazis? Granted, this isn't on the same scale.. but still.

Thats a very interesting point,its reminding me of the thread about Tiffanys Swastika pin that someone found on e-bay.I think its a universal symbol,and unfortunately for VCA Heidis stuff has been a bit more high profile and now the symbols connected with her and everyones forgotten its not a thing thats not copyrighted at all its a symbol that pre-dates both and really can't be claimed by anyone at all,I think its a case of who's made it more recognisable = just like the Swastika.

She actually says she was inspired by what she saw in Rome,and the meaning behind it appealed to her,I can understand that.Isn't that how most ideas come to life?Thats how most ideas for designs start,wether it be inspiration from nature,architecture etc.

And have'nt there been lots of eras where designers mimicked each other to keep on the trend at the time,such as theEdwardians,Victorians,Georgians, and then onto Art Noveau,Art Deco and you still see stuff in the trade that is inspired by these things,such as Ivanka Trumps stuff,the black and white deco range she brought out.I bet she did'nt design it but was perhaps inspired by it and then sat with a designer who drew out designs she liked and then put her name to it.

I really am not saying this to be contraversial,its just my take on it,and apologies,but I don't know how long VCA have had their design on the go and if it was ages before and had actually put a patent on their jewellery in that paticular design,I'm really not sure,but I know Van Cleef are'nt a stupid company and would'nt bring it upunless they were a 100% certain something was wrong.
Then it would'nt be a case of trying to claim the symbol,they have patented their jewellery in that design. This will be very interesting to watch unfold,but I would like a few more facts,Mouwad are'nt a daft company either,I'm sure they would have checked this out? Surely?

But if anyone can enlighten me that would be great,I'd prefer to be more in the picture before I decide which side of the fence to jump down on.

VCA first introduced, what is now referred to as the Vintage, Alhambra design around the 1960s or 1970s. It is known that the VCA made the Alhambra shape famous a while ago. It's popularity has waned until recently. I would not blame Klum with copying if I felt she really did coincidentally feel inspired by Rome. However as a person of the fashion industry where she is around many celebrities that have recently put the VCA design in the forefront of jewelry trends, I find her story implausible. Her entire line is inspired by the clover design that has been around for decades. While VCA may not be a jewelry name as widely known as Tiffany, someone of Klum's position must have been not only aware of the brand but of their designs.

I am not sure this type of argument will hold up in court, but I just cannot accept the idea that she just happened to be inspired by the same shape that a well-known jewelry house has been using for a while.

Diana

VCA first introduced, what is now referred to as the Vintage, Alhambra design around the 1960s or 1970s. It is known that the VCA made the Alhambra shape famous a while ago. It's popularity has waned until recently. I would not blame Klum with copying if I felt she really did coincidentally feel inspired by Rome. However as a person of the fashion industry where she is around many celebrities that have recently put the VCA design in the forefront of jewelry trends, I find her story implausible. Her entire line is inspired by the clover design that has been around for decades. While VCA may not be a jewelry name as widely known as Tiffany, someone of Klum's position must have been not only aware of the brand but of their designs.

I am not sure this type of argument will hold up in court, but I just cannot accept the idea that she just happened to be inspired by the same shape that a well-known jewelry house has been using for a while.

Diana

I must admit,I have just recieved a good educational pm,and I'm suprised she was'nt slammed before now. I was unaware VCA had done something so similar but was actually the originator of it too.If it was out all the time,and with VCA's name and reputation,it would have hardly dropped off the map or gone under the radar,especially in the cirles she orbits in.So she must have been aware of its existance.I am suprised at Mouwad too.I will follow this with interest now.

Ok,I thought I would post this,its the pendant DH bought me after I passed over a 1 carat single stone.It is very similar to the VCA Alhambra line,I wonder if it will now cease production and become unavailable,I suppose its in the hands of the courts now.

Attachments

• bags and stuff 102.JPG
    bags and stuff 102.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 183