Heel Spurs?

1. Has anyone ever had heel spurs? Well, about 6 months ago, I started getting this pain in my sides of my heel (left heel only), and went to the doctor and my dr. said I had heel spurs and to do this exercise to take the pain away and it probably would take about 3-6 months to go away. Well, I still have them, and I only have them when I exercise alot? Does anyone else have this problem?

2. My mom had heel spurs in both her feet many years ago. She ended up having surgery for it & has been fine ever since.

3. I have heel spurs. They were terrible a few years ago--walking was difficult. My podiatrist had me use heel cups in my shoes, and later on, orthotics, and do some simple exercises. He said they would probably get better and after a couple years they did. I still wear the orthotics in my walking shoes, but I can walk without them fine.

Good luck--they're awful when the pain flares up.

4. I have a friend who had surgery for heel spurs. He plays basketball like a madman (as in 4 or 5 games a week), and the pain got to him. He was in his early 30's when he had the surgery, and I don't think he's had any problems since.

5. Several years ago I saw an orthopedist for heel spurs and plantar fasceitis (sp?) and he referred my to a physical therapist to have orthotics made. I play tennis and have used these same orthotics whenever I play or walk my dog and have been pain free ever since. Ask your doctor if orthotics may help, before you consider surgery.

6. I have severe plantar fasciitis in both heels. I have been battling it for three years. I'm only 27 years old. It is most likely due to overuse as I am a registered nurse and on my feet a lot. My pain is always worse first step in the morning (classic symptom). I have done everything except surgery, which I still don't want to do yet. I have had multiple cortisone shots, custom orthotics (which have helped tremendously), night splints, and daily exercise stretches. I even switched to night shift which is less busier. My condition is much improved but if I falter from treatment it flares up again. I am so frustrated because the fasciitis is aggravated by rest (the plantar fascia retracts during rest and when you move it suddenly stretches out and causes microscopic tears which are painful) and exercise. So I feel I can't win sometimes. I used to love to walk because that's the best exercise since I also have severe asthma. Walking a long distance (a mile or more) is practically debilitating and the tenderness will get so bad I literally have to sit! So forget about wearing heels. I can do sandals for short periods if I have too. Otherwise it's my sneakers. Good luck with your treatment! I think my case is particularly bad. Keep us posted. Thanks for listening to my vent lol. If you need any support you can PM as I know this is a very frustrating condition :heart: