Heavy Moms Who Shed Pounds Still Have Big Babies

1. Since I'm South Asian I don't know what the weight of a baby is to be considered as 'overweight'. In my country a 6 lb baby is about the norm and my son at 8 lb was considered to be 'large'. I think under 5 lb is a 'small' baby.

What are average weights of babies in the US?

2. 6 or 6.5 is norm here.
    Mine are considered big.
    My DD was close to 9lbs when she was born and my twins were almost 7lbs each 3 weeks early:shocked:

3. Yikes.

My little brother came out 9lbs!!!!!

4. That seems a little low for "normal" weight. My babies were 7 and 8 lbs, and most of my friends had 7ish - 8 lb babies. A few had 9 lb and over. I would say an average birth weight is 7.5 lbs.

5. My family has a history of big babies. My mom is 5'4" and weighs around 120. Both of my brothers were 10 pounders. My aunt isn't much bigger (just taller) and had a couple of 11 pounders. I'm 5'2" and am ready for my epidural.

6. Interesting post.
    My babies were 8.5 & 8 lbs respectively, that is normal here but I have heard of babies weighing up to 11lbs

7. I believe it's genetic too, aside from mothers who get gestational diabetes.
    DH was 11 lbs at birth and close to 13 before they left the hospital! Bizarre as most babies lose up to 10% of their birth weight the first few days.
    My Grandfather was 13 lbs and he's a tiny little, slim man.

8. Hubby was over 13 pounds when he was born.:wtf: His Mom was not large and did not have gestational diabetes. My girls were both over 9 pounds.

9. :wtf::wtf::wtf:

I should not have read this thread....

I am scared now.

I was 6 lbs 13 oz, DH was 7 lbs 13 oz... if I can stay in that range--- I think I'll be okay. :sweatdrop:

10. Don't be scared DzzyButterfly. I'm happy to say that both my girls and hubby were born without c-sections. No complications but I did ask for an epidural.

11. i don't know about hubby, but I was 6.6 lbs at birth and I am now 5'4 114lbs. my son was born 7.7 lbs but then hubby is 6'4 so my son was bound to turn out longer and heavier.

12. My sons were 9.5 lb each, and each of them was a month early. My dd was 11.5 lb and was 2 weeks early (scheduled c-section). I was not overweight prior to my pregnancies, though I did gain weight after the kids were born (I am in the process of losing it now), and I was not gestationally diabetic. My dr.s couldn't explain it except to say that my dh is 6'8" and 280 (although he was under 8 lb when he was born and I was just over 8).

13. My sons were 9.14lb and 10.2lb. (both c-sections)
    My daughter was 8.7lb (vaginal delivery)

I was at a normal weight before my pregnancies (although I could use a tummy tuck now). No family history of big babies and no problems during pregnancy other than pre-eclampsia with my last baby. I guess I just have big babies!:confused1: