Heart question, any ideas?

1. Well, for the past couple months I have been having chest pain and shortness of breath. I ended up getting a chest xray, EKG, and echocardiogram. Everything was normal, but the echocardiogram showed "mitral valve leaflets show mild thickening." What does that mean, does it mean inflamed? And is this something I should be concerned about, even though my symptoms haven't been attributed to the finding? Sorry for all the questions, it's just I am having a hard time with doctors listening to me and understanding, and no one told me about this, I read it myself. I just want to know if this is something to be concerned about, if I should maybe see a cardiologist. Thanks!:flowers:

2. Mitral valve leaflet thickening is associated with mitral valve prolapse, I believe. MVP can be perfectly benign but I recommend that you consult a cardiologist, if only to be reassured that you are perfectly fine. And please don't be alarmed, I AM NOT a physician and am only going by my (dim) memories of various cardiac workshops I have attended in the past. Good luck--let us know how it goes.

3. I am a MVP patient, in my case Dr. said it s not something that I have to worry about, aparently its very common and is usually not that serious. You sould see a cardiologist to look at your particular case, since everyone is different.

4. Thanks madamefifi and crylater for your replies!
    I see a rheumatologist monday, so I will ask him to perhaps refer me to a cardiologist.
    Btw, when the report said thickening, does that mean inflammation?
    Crylater: With MVP, have you experienced any chest pain or shortness of breath?

5. Thickening is not the same as inflammation. I would think if there was inflammation present your MD would've been a little more concerned.