have you ever felt fed up w/dieting + healthiness after huge weight loss?

1. 3 yrs ago in the middle of college, I hit my peak weight of 170+ lbs at a height of 5'6. I'd been overweight and chubby for as long as I can remember. Then that summer for the millionth time, I decided I was going to lose it. I began eating healthy and exercising every day. Over a year, I went down to 135. But by this time, being healthy and the mindset of dieting consumed my life. I wasn't just not eating - I was eating all the right foods - whole grain bread/muffins, grilled chicken, lots of a huge variety of veggies and fruits, and even started drinking tomato juice instead of soda. I was constantly planning the "right" times to eat what kinds of food and how much of it. I constantly thought about how I could improve my workout routine. I wasn't crazy but I was doing over one hour of cardio and one hour of strength training per day, plenty to maintain my then fit and toned 120+ lb body. Looking back, I should've been satisfied and appreciative of my body at that point, instead of constantly thinking I can do better.

Then one point last year, I distinctly remember one night when I picked up a piece of chocolate my roommate had given me earlier and looking at it. There's no way I would've eaten that so late at night, considering it would've damaged the effects of an entire day of healthiness. But after just staring at it and actually having a conversation w/myself, I was like screw it and I popped it in. I immediately felt this sense of relief and liberation, like I was free. Like after all these years of constantly thinking and planning my life around health and dieting, I could finally let go.

Ever since that particular night, I took some sort of guilty pleasure in eating unhealthy and at the wrong times, sort of like revenge to some unknown being. I just got tired of leading a healthy lifestyle. Totally fed up with it. It's only been a year, but gauging from the mirror, I've probably put on a good 20-30 lbs, just from a mere year of complete 180 from my old lifestyle - greasy unhealthy foods eaten late at night and absolutely no exercise. Logically, I know this is bad for me and I'd be much healthier if I led my healthy lifestyle again, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Really, who just gets fed up with leading a healthy lifestyle, especially when it has really paid off? I feel like answering that question is the first step to me finding the motivation to be healthy again.

2. Maybe you were to "strict" on yourself? How about one day of a week where you can eat what you want? and the rest you just eat all the healthy things?

3. I agree. You can't completely deprive yourself of these things. When you have the craving for chocolate, give in. You don't have to eat a full candy bar, have one of those halloween snack size. If you don't let yourself have any, you're going to want it that much more. Before I was pregnant, I was in the similar situation... wouldn't let myself have anything bad. Now, I want all the fast food and bad stuff I never allowed myself prior. Of course, I can't do that. So I do it in moderation. If DH orders fries, I'll have 2-3 with my meal. Yesterday I wanted halloween candy but I wanted every candy bar rather than just one. So I just had a tiny bite from like 5 of the differento ones and threw away the rest. It actually surpisingly made me content and got rid of my craving.

4. You need to let yourself "fall off the wagon" but then get back on. I usually go off my healthy eating on the weekends but get back during the weekdays. During my holidays, I really fell off but I'm seeing my weight get back to normal now that I'm home again. Old habits are hard to break. I've just re-lost my 25 pounds I lose 2 years ago so I know how you feel.

5. I have been on and off a "diet" of somesort for the past 18 years. Sometimes Im a size 8 sometimes Im a size 12. You name it I have tried it. I went to a fitness camp a year ago and lost 28 pounds. I worked my ass off for 7 -8 hours a day doing major cardio and weights.I have gained back 15 and tonight Im going back to weight watchers. 2 minutes before I opened your thread I was thinking...damn, Im so sick of this. WHY can I not just stay a healthy weight and stop putting myself through this. Maybe this time I will finally get it. Im DREADING get on the scale this evening. Planning out what to wear (making sure its a light weight outfit), taking socks so I can take my shoes off and weigh without shoes..etc..etc..then getting back in the zone. I feel great when im doing it, I do not understand why I let myself slip. I could go and on...but yes, I get fed up. Im right there with ya sista.

6. I think "dieting" is the problem. I don't diet. I still allow myself to indulge in things I love. Just yesterday, I had a warm pumpkin muffin. It was delicious. I only ate one muffin, and I don't do it every day. I also find healthy indulgences. For example, I love Edy's Slow Churned Yogurt Blends. They're only 100 calories per half cup serving, have live and active yogurt cultures, and taste like rich, creamy premium ice cream. Instead of apple pie ala mode, core and peel an apple. Sprinkle it with apple pie spice and a dash of vanilla extract. Bake it, and serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt. You can also make healthy versions of french fries, potato chips, and pizza. Losing weight and keeping it off doesn't mean sacrificing everything you ever loved. It means learning how to enjoy these things in moderation and finding new loves.

Maybe I am different though. There's quite a difference being being someone who was morbidly obese and someone who just need to lose 20 pounds. Most people can carry around the extra 20 pounds with little consequence. Being morbidly obese is life destroying. Working hard at maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a million times better than the alternative of morbid obesity.

7. I don't think that there's much use in being healthy physically, when emotionally you feel deprived and fed-up. Life isn't all or nothing and I think that we can become truly happy when we find that special balance between the extremes.:smile:

8. You Rock.

9. Rainyjewels..I am struggling with the same kind of all-or-nothing thinking. I weigh 20 lbs more than I did a year ago. I just can't seem to get motivated to turn it around.

10. I totally agree with you! Couldn't have said it better myself.

11. yeah, i hear what you guys are saying, and even before i started my "healthy lifestyle" of 3 yrs, i knew i couldn't deprive myself. i've always indulged constantly, but what tired me was knowing i can indulge but always planning when's the best time to indulge (i.e. morning vs. night), how much to indulge on, thinking ahead to what i can do to counterbalance it if i happen to overindulge or realize i ate too many calories that day. i think that's what i got sick of that made me crack after 3 yrs of being fit and healthy; it's not the content i was ingesting as much as having this almost obsessive mindset that consumes your life about that content.

12. I don't know, if I read between the lines of your post a little it sounds more like an emotional block that has you eating the wrong things and gaining pleasure from it rather than just being tired of the healthy routine. Emotional eating can be the biggest tripwire between keeping up with healthy lifestyle changes. I like Bob Greene's book "The Best Life Diet" for those of us with food issues. In the last stage you earn anything goes calories that can be spent on junk food if that's what you want and you don't have to feel like you have ruined the whole eating plan.
    It doesn't have to be all or nothing.... I hope you resolve to start trying again. Three years is a big accomplishment and you are worth it!

13. You can eat healthy and exercise, but allow yourself treats or days off. Also, don't let weight gain get out of hand. If clothes start getting tight or you notice the gain, nip it in the bud rather than gaining so much that you feel defeated or like you can never get back to where you were before. I reached the point where my clothes were getting tight this summer, and instead of getting a bigger size I started watching my diet and lost weight. I eat healthy and exercise most of the time, and if I eat a treat or skip a day at the gym I don't beat myself up about it. I just get back to it!

14. That is why I don't diet.

IMO binge eating comes from depriving yourself too much. I don't see anything wrong with eating something you really want in moderation.

15. ITA!! When I would deprive myself, I was a size 0. I was happy about my size, but not about not being able to junk out once in awhile. Once I let go of that I went back to my normal size between 1 and 3. I would be sad not being able to fit into my size 24 jeans, but being able to junk it every now and then would make me emotionally happy. I truly get grumpy when I can't have my sweets.