Have you continued on with something where you were unhappy?

Bubbles, could you talk to a department head/dean/etc? One of my friends was recently in a similar position...she had switched into a nursing program and had 7 full transferable credits (you need 20 to graduate) and was going to be able to do the program in 3 years instead of 4. She couldn't take the courses she needed to in order to do this, so she had a meeting with the department head where she said "if I don't get into these courses, I will complete my education at a school that actually allows me to take the courses I need". They eventually worked something out. Anyway, good luck with the course selection.

Hey lilian, thanks for the bit of info... well i'm trying to work with the people i'm suppose to work with (academic advisors) and not bring this to the dean level yet.... it's a no win situation. Once i bring this to the dean/senior university person level, whether or not i get my classes, i'll be blacklisted in my program. That means that anytime there's a fellowship or award or apply for a leadership position in the graduate association, i can pretty much forget about it because the program ppl are the ones that decide and these are the ppl that i would be complaining agst.

as i think about this, i think if i don't get the classes i need, I'm going to quit the program. i can't say i'm 100% sold on the idea of quitting - i'm scared i'll regret it. and honestly that's what's kept me here this long... that i'm scared i'm going to regret leaving. but i feel like i've taken as much as i can of their crap and i'm reaching a point where enough is enough and it's not like i'm happy here anyway. and i feel like i'm just scrapping by every day and just managing to get through with my not so great health.

i'm glad ur friend managed to work something out .... but it really wouldn't have been that easy for her to switch universities, would it? at least for me, it would be tough because i need ppl to write my recommendations.... it's not just me completing those applications. i think if i leave, i'm done with grad school.

i thought about leaving today and while i might regret it , i feel like i would feel easier/light at not having to talk myself into completing this program every day.

^ No, it wouldn't have been, but I think she figured she would go through the hassle and do it if it shaved off an extra 2 years (she would take summer courses at the new place). Switching schools is definitely a pain, but sometimes it's your only choice I guess.

IMO its very childish of your school's administration to hold this against you in future opportunities. You are trying to get into classes, and that in no way entails them to hold a grudge against you for future opportunities. But you're the one who interacts with them and you know their potential reaction best.

Anyway, I think the fact that you are so anxious and unsure about leaving suggests that you should stay. Just my $0.02. Good luck with whatever you decide.

hey gals,

my classes got sorted out (not because the admin was helpful in any way mind you)....

So what i need to do right now is to study and get through this first semester at least and hope that things get better....

one of my friends was in a similar situation last year and i reached out to her to get her take and hopefully i'll be able to talk to her soon. Maybe i'll get some insight and perspective from her experience. she hated it too but stuck with it because it was "safe"...

given that i've been feeling like crap about the whole situation and been so ambivalent and all about this, i feel like i should see how i do with 1 semester.... if i continue to hate it, then maybe i should quit and if i adjust to it then i continue....

I wish i didn't have to incur the huge cost of tuition and all to figure out if i'm going to see this through but i think that's the best way for me to approach it ...

the issue now that i have is my housing and insurance. most of the rental housing options need me to sign a lease for a year and given the situation i don't want to end up having to pay for whole year of housing if i decide i'm miserable and really want to leave... at the same time short term housing is sooooo expensive....

i guess there is no ideal solution around this and i just have to cough up the extra $$ for short term housing and the tuition fees to find out if this is for me. it feels like such a huge chunk of $$ and it makes me nervous i tell u! not fun watching your bank account quickly go negative....

Glad to hear the classes got sorted out! Are there any sublets around you can maybe find for a shorter period of time? I'm not familiar with your particular circumstances, but to answer your question on continuing something where you're unhappy, I'd go with "it depends".

I was MISERABLE getting my masters (really miserable. the program was such a disappointment and I was working full time, etc.), but it was only 2.5 years. It started sucking after the first semester. It was a finite amount of time though and I figure having a masters is something that will benefit me even though I feel like I didn't learn what I expected to learn. Sometimes all the employer needs to see is that piece of paper, ya know?

When it comes to jobs, I figure life is just too short. I switched careers when I first moved from New Mexico to Maryland. I quickly realized I sorely missed being a project manager (yeah, hi, i'm a control freak when it comes to my work...ok and maybe some other things) and left that job after 5 months.

I think it might be worth examining what you're hoping to get out of the program and if there's anything you can do to make life suck less while you're struggling through it.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you need to talk. :flowers: hang in there!

I just spoke to someone who graduated from my same program and the person very matter of fact said that the teaches, administrators and classes pretty much sucks. The teaches and admins didn't care about the students and many of the classes were useless

I asked the person if they learned any thing from their 2 yrs and there was a loooooooooooooooooooong silence followed by "No". Sounds like my experience and expectation so far...

it's really hard for me to think that i'm giving up $$ and work experience to learn nothing.

this person stuck it out so they could say they had a masters...

unfortunately it's pretty much what i'm doing by not quitting... don't have the guts to quit... someone have guts to spare?